Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Buy a house, What are the best months to purchase?

Posted

With buying a home for personal use, what are the best months of the year to purchase where the cost will be lower. I know the market fluctuates and that can be a factor, but generally speaking. What is the best months to secure a property on the low end? Thank you for your help. 

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied

When buying a home for personal use, the best months to secure a property at a lower cost are generally from late fall to winter, specifically November through February. During this period, there is typically less competition from other buyers, as many people prefer to move during the warmer months or avoid house hunting during the holiday season. As a result, sellers who list their properties during these months may be more motivated to negotiate on price, offering better deals for buyers. Although market fluctuations and regional differences can impact these trends, targeting the late fall and winter months usually provides a greater chance of purchasing a home at a lower cost.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

This is great news as I am planning on heading back to Omaha between November through January. So this will be a great time it seems to do this. Thank you Ty Coutts for this information. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied

Hey @Michael Lightwood - it's a loaded question but I don't think there really is a "good" time to be buying. 

Generally if you buy in the cold season, it means the sellers are more motivated... but it means you're not going to see all the inventory since most buyers don't want to buy then. 

You'll have more inventory in the warmer seasons (specifically Summer) but that means there will be more buyers in the market. 

Each season/months has its pros and cons - if there was a "best" month then everyone would have waited for then. What only exists is the "right" month for YOU. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Morgan
  • Investor
  • Papillion, NE
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Papillion, NE
Replied

@Michael Lightwood, I agree with both of the posters.  Late fall and winter are best, but you won’t have the options you would in the early spring time.  I’m available if you need me when you get in town.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Matt Morgan:

@Michael Lightwood, I agree with both of the posters.  Late fall and winter are best, but you won’t have the options you would in the early spring time.  I’m available if you need me when you get in town.

I will be in touch. Thank you Matt. 

User Stats

Votes
Corey Conklin
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied

The best month to buy? Last month. The best time to buy real estate is in the past. That means the longer you hold out the more you'll end up spending.

I've bought properties in any season and it really doesn't matter. Sure there may be less buyers looking to move in the winter but that is a 2 way street. Meaning people don't want to move out of their home either, so the supply is also lower.

Do your homework on what sort of house you need, what area, etc. and buy what works for you. Don't worry about what anyone says about there being a good time to buy because it's nonsense. Time has always been good to real estate.

I know a couple that bought a 2500 SF home in the 70's for less than 50k and still live in that same home. They thought they overpaid at the time. Well, they aren't thinking that today.

User Stats

Votes
Verna Littleton
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied

As a real estate broker, I tend to see activity slow down in the late fall and winter months.  People have their minds on the holidays so there are fewer buyers looking then. You should be able to get the seller to negotiate the price better, especially if it's been sitting awhile. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Verna Littleton:

As a real estate broker, I tend to see activity slow down in the late fall and winter months.  People have their minds on the holidays so there are fewer buyers looking then. You should be able to get the seller to negotiate the price better, especially if it's been sitting awhile. 

Thank you Verna. I will be coming back home during that time. I have been back in the states since this May and will be going back to Omaha area. Still debating on Omaha or Lincoln. 

Both look good for investments in multi-family homes.