Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Renting vs Selling

Posted Jul 5 2024, 10:53
  • Hi, I am planning to move to Tampa and I would appreciate some advices whether should I rent or sell my primary residency before leaving? 
  • The house is townhome, located close to Lake Nona, build in 2022. Great amenities included with HOA.
  • Here are some of the numbers. 
  • Mortgage, Taxes, Insurance, HOA: $3040.37
  • Estimated rent: $2475
  • Total Expenses: $3660.12
    • Vacancy (5%): $123.75
    • Repairs (5%): $123.75
    • Capital Expenditures: $100
    • Property Management (11%): $272.25
  • Information when I bought the house in 2022, new constructions 
  • Purchase Price: $373000
  • Purchase Closing costs: $4662
  • Current home value: 400k-420k

Cash Flow: $2475-$3660.12= -$1185.12; -$71107.2 at 5 years

Cash on Cash Return on Investment (CoCROI): 0%

Appretiation per year (6%); $535,290.23 at 5 years

Equity: Loan value $345,089.53 at 5 years; $190,200.47 in equity at 5 years

Loan Value today 6/2024: $368,201.59

Total ROI in 5 years= (Total profit/Total Invested capital)/ Time (in years);

• Total profit: $190,200.47
  • Total Invested: $71107.2 (neg cash flow) + $42757 (closing sale costs)= $113,864.20
  • Total ROI (5 years)= ROI 67%, annualized ROI 10.8%

• My biggest concern is that I am relying solely on appreciation and assuming will appreciate at 6% per year. 

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Jul 5 2024, 12:18
Quote from @Jorge F Rodriguez:
  • Hi, I am planning to move to Tampa and I would appreciate some advices whether should I rent or sell my primary residency before leaving? 
  • The house is townhome, located close to Lake Nona, build in 2022. Great amenities included with HOA.
  • Here are some of the numbers. 
  • Mortgage, Taxes, Insurance, HOA: $3040.37
  • Estimated rent: $2475
  • Total Expenses: $3660.12
    • Vacancy (5%): $123.75
    • Repairs (5%): $123.75
    • Capital Expenditures: $100
    • Property Management (11%): $272.25
  • Information when I bought the house in 2022, new constructions 
  • Purchase Price: $373000
  • Purchase Closing costs: $4662
  • Current home value: 400k-420k

Cash Flow: $2475-$3660.12= -$1185.12; -$71107.2 at 5 years

Cash on Cash Return on Investment (CoCROI): 0%

Appretiation per year (6%); $535,290.23 at 5 years

Equity: Loan value $345,089.53 at 5 years; $190,200.47 in equity at 5 years

Loan Value today 6/2024: $368,201.59

Total ROI in 5 years= (Total profit/Total Invested capital)/ Time (in years);

• Total profit: $190,200.47
  • Total Invested: $71107.2 (neg cash flow) + $42757 (closing sale costs)= $113,864.20
  • Total ROI (5 years)= ROI 67%, annualized ROI 10.8%

• My biggest concern is that I am relying solely on appreciation and assuming will appreciate at 6% per year. 

@Jorge F Rodriguez

I would make sure you live in it for at least 2 years to avoid capital gains taxes, then sell the property. 

It’s negative cash flowing to begin with, and you will likely have to rehab it to some degree if you put renters into it.  

Presuming you are somewhat real estate savvy you can list it on MLS yourself and avoid giving up the seller's commission you would pay with an agent. Costs about $150 to list on MLS - you can google "your state" and "list on MLS" and you will find a broker (etc) who will offer that service. of course you have to handle the inquiries… but it's pretty easy… we've done it multiple times.

Your 6% appreciation approximation is less than the 7% average return the stock market  does long term - and lately it has been blowing that figure away - though as they say - past performance doesn’t equal future performance.

But definitely keep it for 2 years - even if it meant sitting for a couple of months to avoid the capital gains! 

All the best!

Randy

User Stats

Votes
Alacia Mahnken
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 5 2024, 16:25

Hey @Jorge F Rodriguez!  An early welcome to Tampa to you! It sounds like you will need to sell unless you can find a way to increase your net operating income.  The first thing that comes to mind is to rent by room or padsplit. I know that area is big for professionals and professional students such as med students. I would not keep it if you can't find a way to get the cashflow out of the negative.

As Randall mentioned above, you want to avoid capital gains tax by holding it for 2 years. 

Not sure what your family situation is like, but if you sell, you may want to consider a house hack here in Tampa to start your RE journey. Let me know if you need any help navigating the Tampa Market.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Frank Barletta
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 5 2024, 20:15

@Jorge F Rodriguez

Sell that as soon as you can.

A negative investment is not a good investment.

6% is unlikely, so you'll continue to feed the bank and lose out. I wouldn't hold any longer, so write off as much as you can.

Wishing you the best.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Meyer
Pro Member
  • Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets
  • Amsterdam, NL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets
  • Amsterdam, NL
Replied Jul 8 2024, 06:48

I would not do this. You're making very ambitious assumptions about appreciation, and if you're wrong this deal could go from bad to disaster quickly. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 12 2024, 11:56

Thank you for all of your recommendations. I should have mentioned that I bought this house in April 2023, and according to some sources online, houses in Lake Nona (Orlando) have appreciated around 8-9%. I am a doctor looking to invest in multi-family homes in Tampa starting in September this year. I am not sure if I should sell now or in April 2025 to have owned the property for 2 years and avoid capital gains taxes.

User Stats

Votes
Frank Barletta
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 12 2024, 16:15

Dave is correct -- If your appreciation is incorrect, you will be in deeper doo doo.

You can write off losses to lessen the pain. If you walk away with anything, put it in a CD or HYSA until you're ready to make your next purchase.

User Stats

Votes
Shawn McCormick
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jul 12 2024, 19:03

@Jorge F Rodriguez I can agree with others to hold until your two years and also agree that Nothing in Orlando is appreciating at 8-9% anymore. That was the case, but the MSA is closer to 3.5 now. Small pockets may be higher, but certainly not townhomes and certainly not 8% any longer. 

You may have an issue with purchasing in Tampa if you do keep this one as you will be qualifying for a second home and your DTI may not handle that. I would consult with your CPA and your lender on options depending on which path may be more beneficial.

You may consider mid term rental as that area would support that strategy and you should be able to close that gap of PITI and income.

Best of luck to you. 

Shawn McCormick Logo

User Stats

Votes
Obed Calixte
  • Realtor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Replied Jul 14 2024, 19:12

You’ll want to talk to a CPA to help you estimate what your tax burden would be in both the under and over 2yr scenarios, see if you qualify for a partial exclusion, etc.

It’s difficult to blindly say hold it or sell it now if you don’t have a full picture of what your tax burden.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Grenzig
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jul 16 2024, 10:21

@Jorge F Rodriguez We went through this with our house, we would be negative on cash flow, but we weren't sure if it would still appreciate. I do think Florida in general has the ability to see some strong appreciation and rent growth after 2026/2027 because new construction starts for residential housing (especially multifamily) have dropped substantially. Right now all he projects are still being completed, but developments can be 3-7 year cycles depending on the size, so a lot of projects that kicked off in 2020-2022 when interest rates and insurance were below and rents/prices were soaring are still getting completed now. However, there's been significantly less new projects started (on average) from 2023 to today. So logic dictates that eventually demand will exceed supply in greater numbers within the next few years and we might start seeing higher rent growth/appreciation again.

However, I don't know that it means you should lose money every month in the hopes that eventually happen. If you're planning on buying MF in Tampa and you think you can find deals that will cash flow, then why not put your money into that and have some cash flow while still buying into the potential future appreciation/cash flow?

However, I would definitely consult a tax professional about selling your primary residence as the capital gains relief can be hugely beneficial and could impact your decision-making one way or the other. 

Also, happy to help evaluate your property in the Lake Nona area if you think it would be helpful at all.

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Vazquez
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 16 2024, 14:11

Hi Jorge,

Remember, time and appreciation can heal everything in the long term. If you can hold onto the property for more than 5 years, the potential for appreciation and equity growth could offset the initial negative cash flow. Long-term investment often smooths out short-term financial challenges. However, selling might be the better option if you need to realize gains sooner.

Best,
Jorge

• Broker Florida (#SL3334101)

Graystone Investment Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Gino Barbaro
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St Augustine, FL
Replied Jul 16 2024, 14:20

@Jorge F Rodriguez

The risk I see is if you have to sell when you don't want to. Making assumptions of 6% appreciation over the next five years is risky in my opinion. And if the home becomes vacant and money has to be invested to re rent.

There are a lot of uncertain variables which add to the risk. I was in a similar situation when I moved to Florida, and I didn't want to focus on managing a single asset 1000 miles away.

Ultimately, what does your gut tell you? Go with your instincts, because it is so hard to make a 5 year decision based on what you know today.

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jul 16 2024, 14:51

Live in it for whatever time being to avoid capital gains and sell if you need to move. 

Even looking at gross cash flow you are at -600/m

That is hard to sustain. Wouldn't really keep an asset like that unless its at least breaking even at GROSS rent. 

I don't think you will really NET much from the sale too. So if you need to move, just cut the losses iMO

• Real Estate Agent New Jersey (#2323863) and Pennsylvania (#RS3399189)

• 267-767-0111
  • [email protected]
Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate  Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!