Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eli Kim
Votes |
Maxed DTI. How should I get more properties?

Eli Kim
Posted May 3 2024, 10:20

Hey guys, 

So I currently have 3 properties and I want to purchase another one but the issue is I've maxed out DTI. What other methods should I use to acquire another property? I've been thinking DSCR but don't they typically have higher down payments and closing costs? I was also thinking of looking for seller finance deals. What are you guys thoughts for my best course of action?

User Stats

Votes
AJ Exner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied May 3 2024, 11:28
Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

So I currently have 3 properties and I want to purchase another one but the issue is I've maxed out DTI. What other methods should I use to acquire another property? I've been thinking DSCR but don't they typically have higher down payments and closing costs? I was also thinking of looking for seller finance deals. What are you guys thoughts for my best course of action?

Down payment should be about the same (20% on a buy-and-hold) but you'll see an additional $3-$6k on average in CC and the ability to keep it off of your DTI/Personal credit along with hopefully no more hard inquiries on your credit (many lenders will accept/perform a soft pull).

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Allbright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 5 2024, 16:27
Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

We're in the exact same boat my friend. I'm currently getting under contract on a property for rent in Texas, our 4th, via DSCR.

Hoping it’ll be a successful move. 
P. S. I wouldn't worry about the higher dp because any investment property is going to require 20% down , like a DSCR

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Eli Kim
Votes |
Replied May 5 2024, 16:46
Quote from @Kyle Allbright:
Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

We're in the exact same boat my friend. I'm currently getting under contract on a property for rent in Texas, our 4th, via DSCR.

P. S. I wouldn't worry about the higher dp because any investment property is going to require 20% down , like a DSCR

Let me know how that turns out! I know It differs lender by lender but I'm curious what CC's are like with DSCR. I was fortunate enough to find a lender with 15% down for my previous properties

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Allbright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 5 2024, 16:48
Quote from @Eli Kim:
Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

Let me know how that turns out! I know It differs lender by lender but I'm curious what CC's are like with DSCR. I was fortunate enough to find a lender with 15% down for my previous properties

For sure, man, I’m sure it varies by state with Lending  but in Texas 20% down is  pretty standard on investment properties. Stinks. 

User Stats

Votes
Eli Kim
Votes |
Replied May 5 2024, 16:49
Quote from @Eli Kim:
Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

For sure, man, I’m sure it varies by state with Lending  but in Texas 20% down is  pretty standard on investment properties. Stinks. 

How are the rents in Texas?

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Allbright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 5 2024, 16:54
Quote from @Eli Kim:
Quote from @Eli Kim:
Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

pretty good!

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Allbright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 5 2024, 16:55
Quote from @Eli Kim:
Quote from @Eli Kim:
Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

pretty good!

I'm in the metroplex/dfw so definitely good and virtually no vacancies as far as when they're turned

User Stats

Votes
Eli Kim
Votes |
Replied May 5 2024, 16:57
Quote from @Eli Kim:
Quote from @Eli Kim:
Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

pretty good!

I'm in the metroplex/dfw so definitely good and virtually no vacancies as far as when they're turned

That’s good that’s good

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
Matt Devincenzo#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied May 5 2024, 17:25

How long have you owned these, and how much is rent vs the payment? If they are CF positive then they will not cohnt against your DTI but will improve it...that's standard conventional guidelines barring a few exceptions.

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#2 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Investor
Replied May 5 2024, 18:37
Quote from @Matt Devincenzo:

How long have you owned these, and how much is rent vs the payment? If they are CF positive then they will not cohnt against your DTI but will improve it...that's standard conventional guidelines barring a few exceptions.

If it's ITM, they are going to analyze it at 75% of it. So he needs to be more ITM than  the 1.25:1 ratio.

With that said, to answer the question-- figure out your debt or income. Start getting your situation less debt ridden by paying down or on your next investment put more cash down to make it highly intrinsic. 

User Stats

Votes
Jassem A.
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied May 6 2024, 06:34

Seller financed deals. Offer to pay them off in 5-10 years at a higher interest rate. I know one person that did this recently and was able to negotiate no money down and 12% over 5 years but this was probably in the mid west. For more expensive properties you'll be wanting to pay a lower interest rate and doing short/mid term rentals.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied May 6 2024, 07:02
Quote from @Eli Kim:

So I currently have 3 properties and I want to purchase another one but the issue is I've maxed out DTI. What other methods should I use to acquire another property?

For conventional lending, my spouse and I bought each on our own.  I'd buy one, they'd buy the next.  

We also bought a lot with seller financing.   The most common asset type was commercial multis 7-10 units.  Tired landlords and conventional loans weren't available.   

Don't expect Jack and Jill homeowner to seller finance for you. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Whit B.
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied May 6 2024, 21:25
Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

I ran into the same issue. I pivoted to doing creative financing. My last deal was an exact wrap at 3.5% granted I had to put $80k down to pull it off, but it’s a great way to keep the train on the tracks.