Property Manager · Lansdale, PA · Member since 2021 · 826 posts · 1k+ votes
What is the 1% Rule in Real Estate?
The 1% rule is a real estate investment guideline indicating the minimum monthly rent you must charge your tenant to break even on a rental property. The rule states that your rent should be at least 1% of your property’s sale price.
The 1% rule or guideline is a helpful tool, but should not be your main metric of success when analyzing an investment property. This guideline has shifted over the years as property values and interest rates have increased, but the guideline should be a good initial indicator if a property will or will not cash flow.
Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 740 posts · 529 votes
3y
To clarify- if I am buying a property finished- (turnkey) at market value I can cashflow and average of 9-12% year 1 on a B class property and I am not at 1%, If i wanted to buy a finished property in a C/D class then I can get to 1% rule. But I personally value buying property in an area that appreciates more and has the potential for better tenants and rental increases, so I will easily give up the idea of the 1% rule, as I think future growth is much more important to me.
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
3y
This rule. like most relies on arbitrary assumptions that are just a waste of time. It doesn't take that long to fully analyze a market (notice I wrote market, not property), so why waste your time using a tool that leads you nowhere.
Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 740 posts · 529 votes
3y
To clarify- if I am buying a property finished- (turnkey) at market value I can cashflow and average of 9-12% year 1 on a B class property and I am not at 1%, If i wanted to buy a finished property in a C/D class then I can get to 1% rule. But I personally value buying property in an area that appreciates more and has the potential for better tenants and rental increases, so I will easily give up the idea of the 1% rule, as I think future growth is much more important to me.
Investor · Cleveland · Member since 2021 · 247 posts · 240 votes
3y
I like the rule as a starting point and a decent guideline. I think, though, that it's important to look past it and actually analyze expected rent vs expenses and mortgage payments. Lots of great deals don't hit 1% and lots of bad deals do.
Furthermore, the long term appreciation potential of a property is just as important as the cash flow. So is price relative to the rest of the market.
Also, let's remember the 1% rule was created when interest rates were lower. So even a true 1% deal won't look very good today, by comparison.
Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
I think you'll find that the '1% Rule' isn't applicable in most markets - especially those that are high demand - and that it hasn't been for some time. It isn't a 'rule' as much as it is a quick and dirty way to determine if it's worth the bother to look at it further. For my clients and my own acquisitions, I prefer to do a deeper dive right off the bat; it takes just a minute or two and is more tangible. Hope this helps...
I use the 1% guideline/rule as a starting point. If it meets that or better, I will take a more serious look at the property. This is for tenant occupied or turnkey properties that I want to cashflow, not hold for losses, deductions, or depreciation to offset taxes.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
The 1% rule is a very generic rule. It does not apply to the Columbus market where I invest and broker deals. I would consider Columbus the Seattle of the midwest. It is the tech hub where house prices are soaring. 1% rule other areas are possible but not in strong appreciating markets.
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
3y
I analyze 10 deals by their rent/price ratio. Then I take the one that will hit my financial goal and I use that as my rule of thumb. During covid, that was 0.68% in my market. Every market is different and everyone's goals are different.
Rental Property Investor · Streetman, TX · Member since 2018 · 527 posts · 495 votes
3y
1% is a useful screen criterial for evaluating cash flow properties. It is a quick and easy way to sort through a bunch of prospective properties. If you see a $400k property that rents for $2000/month move on. It isn't going to cash flow. Don't bother running the in depth numbers because it just isn't going to cash flow positive. If however it is close to 1% then it is worth taking a closer look. June year we closed on a 10 unit complex that was 0.9% that is cash flowing nicely.
Don't believe the nay-sayers that 1% deals no longer exist. I closed on a 2%+ deal in April. Our overall portfolio average is 1.6%. In todays market you are going to look a little harder. Off-Markers deals not on the MLS. Or tertiary markets outside the major markets in the path of progress.
1% is a useful screen criterial for evaluating cash flow properties. It is a quick and easy way to sort through a bunch of prospective properties. If you see a $400k property that rents for $2000/month move on. It isn't going to cash flow. Don't bother running the in depth numbers because it just isn't going to cash flow positive. If however it is close to 1% then it is worth taking a closer look. June year we closed on a 10 unit complex that was 0.9% that is cash flowing nicely.
Don't believe the nay-sayers that 1% deals no longer exist. I closed on a 2%+ deal in April. Our overall portfolio average is 1.6%. In todays market you are going to look a little harder. Off-Markers deals not on the MLS. Or tertiary markets outside the major markets in the path of progress.
I agree with Pete, deals are out there just have to get creative and look outside of MLS. Also Pete makes a great point to use the 1% as a quick temp test.
@Noah Bacon I know the markets I like to invest in and what types of properties I am likely to find in each of those markets. I have about a 40 mile radius I invest in and there are 6 towns in that area. Some of those towns have better appreciation, some have higher growth. Some are considered more desirable to live in while some might have better schools.
When I analyze a new property I first look to make sure the numbers work. If it makes the 1% rule or greater that is a bonus. My portfolio on average currently cash flows about $200/door/month. That is average for my location. If I can find a property that will cash flow better than that after all expenses I know I have found a good deal.
The most recent one I’ve bought once it’s renovated and rented will cash flow around $330/door/month, and the one before that is cash flowing about $500/door/month and should double in value by the time I’ve owned it 6 months to close to $900K.
I think the 1% rule is still useful for consideration but not the end all be all.
The 1% rule is a very generic rule. It does not apply to the Columbus market where I invest and broker deals. I would consider Columbus the Seattle of the midwest. It is the tech hub where house prices are soaring. 1% rule other areas are possible but not in strong appreciating markets.
disagree there are 1% deals on the market right now my friend in Columbus Ohio. I posted about one yesterday. even in section 8 it's possible. I'd be careful making general statements about entire housing markets. COlumbus is considered an 11 county MSA: https://columbusregion.com/meet-the-region/
How do you guys analyze a property? Based on what metrics?
BP has excellent calculators available for free in the tools section of the website. I believe you get 5 free free uses. I "borrowed" the formula's and created my own spreadsheet to quickly analyze deals. Save both your good and bad deals and you will quickly get a feel for your target market.
I wonder how many $M's of dollars the OP has invested in his own real estate empire, or is he (like most of the advice-offering "experts") offering advice with no real personal experience in the game.
Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 78 posts · 73 votes
3y
Like said previously, I think it is a good starting point with analyzing properties. However, there are many variables that come into play: location, low rents, Cap X costs, etc. The 1% rule is the reason why you click on the property and dive deeper, but shouldn't be the reason for purchasing it!
Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
This is hard to get to in my market, and it came down from the nice days of 2009-2012 when that 2% rule was amazing and happening all the time. I do use the 1% rule and usually get a little more when doing the ADU projects for cashflow... One I am doing now, building for $190K and renting out for $2500 a month.
This is hard to get to in my market, and it came down from the nice days of 2009-2012 when that 2% rule was amazing and happening all the time. I do use the 1% rule and usually get a little more when doing the ADU projects for cashflow... One I am doing now, building for $190K and renting out for $2500 a month.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 29 votes
3y
@Noah Bacon, as I look at properties, the 1% is an automatic mental metric that I think about most times but never rely on, especially regarding multifamily. Most important these days is the DSCR and how to increase it during that first year to maintain a healthy CoC.
Depending on the quality of the neighborhood. For average quality neighborhood and not the best schools, I still can find deals close to 1%. Forget, if I am searching for better quality area/school.
Exactly for this purposes I coded Doorhacker chrome extension, so I can sort houses from highest to lowest returns and focus on analyzing only those with the best ratios:
*** Note: it covers cities I have been searching myself. But if you want me to extend coverage to any other city, just drop me a message
This is hard to get to in my market, and it came down from the nice days of 2009-2012 when that 2% rule was amazing and happening all the time. I do use the 1% rule and usually get a little more when doing the ADU projects for cashflow... One I am doing now, building for $190K and renting out for $2500 a month.
So you are exceeding 1% on the structure costs only and not including any land value. I suspect there are many locations were 1% is exceeded if not counting the land value.
In addition, ADUs often add less value than they cost. This means first actual cash flow occurs after recovering the negative value which could take years. They always have capital outlay for months (sometimes many months) before any income (time value of money). Their finance terms are often worse than property acquisition. They detract something from primary structure(s) even if it is just reducing the lot allocated to primary unit but often it is more, like a garage, privacy, parking, etc.
Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
I have a hard time making the 1% rule. Depends on what the appreciation and what the area looks like for me. I just closed on one in Arlington, TX last Monday that was turnkey for 210k and rents for $1950. I really like the house and potential for the area so I’m ok with it. My last house before this back in March was 214k all in with rehab and rents for $2465/month with section 8. But I’m generally happy hitting close to the 1% rule here in TX.