Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bobby Paquette
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Strategy in this Market

Bobby Paquette
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charleston, SC
Posted

What’s some strategies you’re taking in this current market? 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied

All and none.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Bobby Paquette:

sell condo and buy falling single family, every market is different but this is the best time to acquire higher end OO property in general.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Robert Paquette

We are buying distressed debt.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied
Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:

sell condo and buy falling single family, every market is different but this is the best time to acquire higher end OO property in general.

Yep.  If I was hunting, equity capture on nicer homes would be the play. 
That and mortgage assumption or sub2 to keep low rates in place.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Steve Vaughan:

Yes I capture the fact that during Q3-Q4 2022, condo appreciation ranges between -10 to +5%.
While Single Family appreciation is between -5 to -35%.  The more luxury it is, the worse is the appreciation. But that didn't happen in condo market.

So I have appreciated asset like a condo, where I can re-invest into an under-appreciated asset like Single Family. 
This is one of the weirdest time in real estate market where the gap between high-end condo and low-end SF is only $100k. 

There's also another phenomenan and this is more like in "general" observation, especially in CRE, the spread between bank lending and commercial lending is the highest now compare to 2008 era ! this is because the perceived higher risk of CRE investments. This give a very high reward/risk investment to invest in debt secutization like asset-backed MBS. When spread is normalized, the IRR is north of 20%. I almost see this as very riskless strategy to make money lol

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Owner finance & subto. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Yes I capture the fact that during Q3-Q4 2022, condo appreciation ranges between -10 to +5%.
While Single Family appreciation is between -5 to -35%.  The more luxury it is, the worse is the appreciation. But that didn't happen in condo market.

So I have appreciated asset like a condo, where I can re-invest into an under-appreciated asset like Single Family. 
This is one of the weirdest time in real estate market where the gap between high-end condo and low-end SF is only $100k. 

There's also another phenomenan and this is more like in "general" observation, especially in CRE, the spread between bank lending and commercial lending is the highest now compare to 2008 era ! this is because the perceived higher risk of CRE investments. This give a very high reward/risk investment to invest in debt secutization like asset-backed MBS. When spread is normalized, the IRR is north of 20%. I almost see this as very riskless strategy to make money lol

Hi new here and there’s a lot of terms, can you simplify what you’re saying here plz? 

User Stats

Votes
Ben Freeman
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Springboro OHIO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Springboro OHIO
Replied

We just finished a brrrr deal. It was a duplex which we rent out by the room. While a little more work, the cashflow is much greater and is allowing me to continue to buy even in this market where affordability is challenged. Our next goal is to by a larger primary and convert our existing primary into a medium term rental. I think the more creative you can be, the better results you will see. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Matthew Wolach:

Hi new here and there’s a lot of terms, can you simplify what you’re saying here plz? 

How do I explaint it in plain English.

Here's the basis data.
Average MBS Spread between 2001-2023 is 90bps
2008 MBS Spread is 175 bps
2023 MBS Spread is 135 bps

The higher the MBS Spread reflect the volatility of CRE(and SF) of real estate market ; but at same time, those volatility would be normalized from average 20 years prior history.

Having said that, there're lot of way to exploit this, for example: buy a crashing property, buy mortgage REIT, but MBS funds, buy MBB, bRRR highly priced home, goes to syndication that purchase MF with 30% discount....

lot of method but the basic idea is , 2023 is the limited edition of 2008, and investing in 2009-2012 is the wet dream of real estate invstors LOL

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Masoud
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dayton/Cincinnati/Columbus
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dayton/Cincinnati/Columbus
Replied

I'm spending a lot of time stabilizing my current portfolio. Fixing them up, raising rents to market.

I'm also looking for distressed sellers, especially in the commercial space with their mortgage coming due soon.

Sitting on dry powder waiting for the right opportunity. Not just sitting around though, active waiting. That's constantly looking around for the right opportunity.