Glue Hardwood Refinish VS Laminate

Glue Hardwood Refinish VS Laminate

Hartford, CT · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 3 votes

Hi BP,

I'm currently prepping my house to be sold within the next month. It has one major issue, the upstairs original hardwood was covered with carpet and a ton of glue. Almost every single floor refinishing contractor said nope not touching it. 


Although, I have one guy who's up and coming. He actually did a clear coat refinish on the first floor. He also fixed, sanded, stained and poly'd my stairs that had carpet. He did a pretty good job and only charge 1 dollar a sq ft total.

Well my issue is, I've been hemorrhaging money into this house this past month. He said he could use a diamabrush on the wood to remove the glue, then stain, and poly for 4 bucks a square foot total. problem is he's never used the diamabrush before. I looked it up, and it actually doesn't look too bad to use.

Now would it be worth it to do that, or to install laminate flooring instead, and go with the cheapest available that doesn't look bad. I could also install this myself. 


On the other hand time is of the essence, and things are costing a lot so I've been working OT to pay for them. So I either work OT and get it done faster, and pay a lot. Or don't myself and it takes longer.

So the three questions are:

1.) Do I go with refinishing the hardwood to have refinished hardwood throughout and pay the guy. This would be most expensive, but quick.

2.) Have him instead do laminate. This would be mid range and quick.

3.) I do the laminate instead. This is obviously the cheapest but longest. 


Thank you so much for any responses.

Ryan


0Reply
20 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will FraserPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Hi @Ryan Sullivan, I'd say the biggest determining factor in this is your market.  What does the market demand in order to sell?  Or otherwise, IF you put the $4/sq foot into the upstairs hardwood, will the market pay you back at least $4/sq ft (plus commissions and costs of sale on that amount)?  If not, no dice.  If so, consider it.

    The counter-consideration is this:  IF the market doesn't demand hardwood upstairs, is it likely to punish you for a certain flooring choice?  If so, go with an option the market will accept (often laminate takes a beating on the market compared to carpet or vinyl, depending on several different factors).  If the market doesn't demand hardwood, and it won't punish you for X or Y different flooring, then go with the most economical choice that the market is likely to accept.  Your excellent real estate agent may be instrumental in this.

    A final consideration:  if the floor guy is willing to back up the $4/sq ft refinishing bid (i.e. if he biffs it he'll make it right and eat the cost) that's one thing.  Otherwise the worst-case scenario of paying $4/sq ft, then having to have one of the other floorings installed, is no bueno.  Guarantee or bust :) 

  • Eudith VacioPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago & NWI · Member since 2015 · 860 posts · 521 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Sullivan I personally would go with whatever option LOOKS the nicest rather than what can be done in the quickest amount of time or what is cheaper. If this guy can refinish your floors but it doesn't look good, it doesn't matter that you listed the property with hardwood floors because most likely the buyers will consider that an expense of having to change the flooring. If laminate looks nicer AND hey if you can do it yourself for the best looking floors, I would lean towards that option. 

  • Hartford, CT · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Thank you so much for your responses! I'm very appreciative of any support I get.

    I talked to the floor guy and he's going to do a test spot on his dime.

    If the test spot works, then he'll do the rest. No charge for stripping all the glue. Just $4 a sq ft to sand, stain, and poly.


    With this done correctly, the entire house will be wood throughout, and that's what this market loves in my area. So hopefully he can make it look great.


    I'll definitely use the information you guys provided again, for the next project.


    Thanks again,

    Ryan

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.