Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joseph M.
  • Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
To Get a Permit or Not to Get One

Joseph M.
  • Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Posted

I am renovating my primary home that I plan to live in for 10+ year and probably much longer than that. We have had multiple contractors and others suggest maybe not getting permits due to the fact that the house is in an area that is somewhat isolated and often overlooked when it comes to building permit regulation. The house itself sits over 100 feet off the road which is not very well traveled.

I am not adding any square footage or removing any structural beams as far as I know at this point, but we are renovating nearly everything.

From my understanding below are the pros and cons. Is any of this inaccurate or unlikely or am I missing anything? Do you have any experience with this? What would you do?

Please give me your real world thoughts.

Pros To Getting Them:

1) Ensures contractor is following codes for potential better quality and safety

2) It could be easier to refinance and sell

Cons to Getting Them:

1) My taxes will likely go up

2) It will add a lot of time to our project

3) It will add a lot of cost to our project

4) It will take up a lot of my time because I would be pulling them

Pros to Not Getting Them:

1) The renovation could be completed much quicker and it will save me a lot of time

2) I will save money on taxes and permitting fees (including some permit requirements which might not actually make much of a difference)

Cons to Not Getting Them:

1) It could prevent a sale in the future - Is this even accurate? I haven't looked into permits for work done in houses that I have bought (maybe was a mistake), but looking for the real world answer here not the "by the book" answer

2) It could affect a refinance - Is this even true?

3) I could be fined. - This isn't clear on what the fines would be online. Any details on that?

4) The house could be less safe

5) My homeowners insurance deny a claim if they tie a fire or other issue to not having building permits. - Is this likely?

Loading replies...