Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Paul Meyer
  • Contractor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
Do you cut costs by just hanging 1/4" drywall over old (no demo)?

Paul Meyer
  • Contractor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Posted

First, what I'm exactly saying is only cutting out lines across walls for all new rough-in electrical/plumbing/hvac/any mold damage AND THEN just hanging new 1/4" right on top to create a fresh new looking house. From my experience trying to make something old and abused look pretty again just takes as much time & money to just hang new. This keeps me from paying for 1-2 dumpsters plus all the extra work pulling it out, cleaning it out, getting out nails. I did this on my last flip only on the ceilings because ALL the great insulation sat on top and if I took it out it would have been a f+@*$%&$ mess and $$$ for new insulation.

I'm about to start my 3rd flip, another horrible ugly house, and I like to just gut everything and start new but I like to save $$$ and cut corners where I can to keep more profits. 

The electrician is going to put in new boxes so extra drywall doesn't matter and I'm installing all new windows/doors so that doesn't matter either. Probably no insulation behind current walls...So I'd make everything tight and caulked. 

Anyone ever do this or just spend more money to totally gut. I know if I start pulling out the drywall I'm going to find extra work. 

This is just a 770sqft 1 story 1/1 converting to 2/2. Midwest in IL. Rough neighborhood. Total ARV only like $89-109k which is peanuts compared to east coast. I am doing 60% of the work pay myself out of this one because ARV is so low. This would go for $169k in VA.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied

I've always just patched and textured and kept as a rental.  Don't see why less wouldnt be better as a simple flip. 

Adding the drywall layer will make all your doors and doorways a pain even if you're replacing every window. Not to mention every receptical, phone, cable box, switch, etc. 
A lot of people like the historical charm. Keep it simple👍  

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied

I don't know how many holes you are talking about but I use an ace sheetrock finisher. The patch is invisible. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Rufus Littlefield
  • Contractor
  • Seattle, Wa
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Seattle, Wa
Replied

@Paul Meyer I have to second the skim coat idea. You're only paying for mud and a talented drywall finisher (unless you can do it yourself). Level 5 (and others, probably) make skimming blades up to 48" wide now, so going from a rough wall to a smooth wall isn't as difficult as it used to be.

Skimming should also be cheaper than adding 1/4" drywall because it won't require buying custom sized door jambs (to accommodate the thicker walls), using box extenders for electrical, removing and reinstalling base/crown molding, or any of the other issues you might run into by adding a layer of drywall.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Originally posted by @Mike Reynolds:

I don't know how many holes you are talking about but I use an ace sheetrock finisher. The patch is invisible. 

Ace sheetrock finisher
  Link Please...

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied

You have to skim coat or you will regret it in the near future!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied
Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

Ace sheetrock finisher
  Link Please...

The funny thing is, the company is named Ace painting. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied
Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

Ace sheetrock finisher
  Link Please...

I just noticed your from Austin. I used one from there 12 years ago that I have never seen his equal. I'll see if I can dig up that number. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Meyer
  • Contractor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied

Thanks guys. As I mentioned this isn't a rental or I wouldn't really care too much as long as it was clean. I do higher end flips even in C class neighborhoods. I already know I'm going to have to make a lot of holes for rewiring/plumbing/hvac/repairs. I've only ever put drywall over drywall on the ceiling because of severe smoke damage (no smell nice and clean). However, I haven't done it over walls. I was planning on doing all the drywall myself so just materials maybe $1500 most on such a small house. I'm not a local in this area and I'm trying to get references but I find it so difficult like most to find expert fair priced contractors so for the time I wait and twiddle my thumbs I rather just do it myself in the same time I don't flip tons of homes.

I guess I'll know soon but will try to get a quote for just repair/skimming first but if its more than what I can do it for just demo and redo I'll likely pass for a brand new home look because everything going to be replaced anyway. Theres not much charmer or in this home just a simple bungalow.

Thanks again.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied

No, don't use 1/4" drywall except on ceilings.....really simple to just patch and re-coat...

User Stats

Votes
David Avery
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Phoenix Arizona
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Phoenix Arizona
Replied

This is the answer for the following reasons.

I myself doing the work if It were my flip.   Or Rental.  Take out the ceiling sheet rock to the corners or within 2 inches, remove the insulation and sheet rock.  Two loads to the dumps, ( no big deal). Then the other subs will have open and clean look and work.  During the winter may cost a bit to keep warm.  But this is the way to do it right and cheap.  it will look great when finished and not at all chopped up.

The cost of all the other subs to run everything with sheet rock in place is probably double.

You and I could hang the rock in one day and finish it off the next two days.  Demo is one day.

User Stats

Votes
David Avery
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Phoenix Arizona
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Phoenix Arizona
Replied

walls just patch and match finish

User Stats

Votes
Paul Meyer
  • Contractor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied

Hey guys UPDATE. I'm doing a remodel for my sister who lives in a fancy updated 1980's 3/2 modular and taking out the old kitchen cabinets a crew put the drywall right OVER the existing old original thin wood plastic walls that go in those things. You would have NEVER noticed because like I mentioned the just had the outlets come out probably quarter of inch more to match. I'm patching up the footprint spots in the existing new drywall now. So it just shows you don't have to demo all those drywall/wood panel walls you can just throw that drywall right over it when doing new electrical/plumbing and save some money. I think it actually helped double layer the wall to improve insulation and sound barrier. So now when I see 1970's-1980s wood paneling listings that need a makeover just think - I can drywall right over it! Sadly after more and more flips like my best property manager she always said "do less" but still quality where it counts. My sister thought she hired a licensed plumber on this too and it's been a train wreck but she also is too lazy to get 2-3 quotes so now I'm doing the finish job.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes