Miami, FL - Looking for my first multi-family deal...

Miami, FL - Looking for my first multi-family deal...

Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes

Good evening BP Family, 

I'll jump right into it... is anyone finding multi-family deals in South FL? It feels almost impossible to find a deal that makes any sense. I've done some research and ran numbers on about 30 listed 2-4 units properties for sale and none of the numbers add up for me. Maybe I need to do more like 100 to find that 1...

[A brief back-story] I am mortgage banker (18 years) and I have 1 investment self-managed property and 1 that I sold in 11/2019. I had planned to 1031 exchange the proceeds of the sale, but had paralysis by analysis and didn't go through with it and needless to say, I had to eat the tax consequences! It will not happen again. 

In any case, I was sitting on cash ($150K +/-) thinking/hoping the real estate market was going to adjust (downward) to make room for me to make a move, when Covid hit and everything got out of control. I was able to make other great investments in the stock market, but I want to redirect my efforts to finding viable properties to buy. I am a hands on kind of guy, so I currently manage my 1 rental and take care of everything from marketing the property, screening the prospects, renovating the property, fixing minor issues, etc... I also managed my previous property for over 15 years before selling it. I mention all that because I would like to buy close to home (Miami), to still be hands on. I am concern about doing anything too far and have less/minimum control, but the current environment is forcing my hand. 

I guess my issue is finding a decent deal to dive into. Any suggestions? Should I consider a more passive investment? Syndicate? Turn key? I would rather own the asset as my goal is to build and grow a rental portfolio... so I looked at SFR and doing a BRRRR deal, but median home prices are over $400k and those properties still need over $100k in renovations. That price range is also now the sweet spot and properties are not on the market for too long. The inventory shortages and high demand given that we continue to hover near historic low interest rates continue to be one of the main issues. Is this just NOT the right time?

I've tapped into my realtor connections to try to find an off market/unlisted deal, but many of those have cash buyers waiting to pick them up above asking and down here even a little grandpa/ma knows to ask for top dollar as someone is crazy enough to pay it... I am not. Is my only option now to do drive buy and knock on doors to find a deal or do direct mailers and spend thousands on a list that may have been sold multiple times over? Suggestions? Thoughts? Anyone in the area successfully investing? 

I'm stuck! Any feedback/help is greatly appreciated.

5Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Davie, FL · Member since 2019 · 92 posts · 53 votes
5y

@Joaquin Garuz It is a tough market in South Florida for sure if you are looking for cash flow positive deals. I have found local opportunity if you are looking do fix and flip projects to build up your capital. For these type of off market deals you will need to be extremely fast at deciding if you are going to lock it up and submit a full price offer. 

I would suggest you continue to network with investors and wholesalers in other parts of the state as well. I recently partnered with a wholesaler I met on bigger pockets where we picked up an 8 unit value add project for 560K. I am sure you are aware in south east Florida duplexes are going for 400K which does not cash flow when you add in taxes and insurance. There are deals out there you just must go outside your comfort zone to capitalize on them. 

Everyone talks about networking being the golden rule for finding deals and I would not agree more. Keep pressing forward in your journey!!!

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Hello Joaquin,

    I am just entering the world of real estate investing and am looking to buy my first property. I am also looking for a multifamily down here in Miami and I am 100% in the same boat as you. The market is tough right now it's hard to find anything that is BRRRR worthy without having to put down 100s of thousands. I have slowly come to the conclusion that Miami might not be the move for our goals. I'm curious to see what other investors (ideally from South Florida) say because it truly does seem like there's no good deals down here.

  • Investor · Davie, FL · Member since 2019 · 92 posts · 53 votes
    5y

    @Joaquin Garuz It is a tough market in South Florida for sure if you are looking for cash flow positive deals. I have found local opportunity if you are looking do fix and flip projects to build up your capital. For these type of off market deals you will need to be extremely fast at deciding if you are going to lock it up and submit a full price offer. 

    I would suggest you continue to network with investors and wholesalers in other parts of the state as well. I recently partnered with a wholesaler I met on bigger pockets where we picked up an 8 unit value add project for 560K. I am sure you are aware in south east Florida duplexes are going for 400K which does not cash flow when you add in taxes and insurance. There are deals out there you just must go outside your comfort zone to capitalize on them. 

    Everyone talks about networking being the golden rule for finding deals and I would not agree more. Keep pressing forward in your journey!!!

  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 691 votes
    5y

    Hey Joaquin!

    We find that most properties that are listed on market do not pencil out for us either. Now that is not to say no ever will or have, but most don't. I recommend trying to build relationships with sellers + agents who can help you find off market deals. For smaller MF assets, building relationships with wholesalers is a great way to find off market deals that make sense. 

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2020 · 48 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    Hey.

    I'm from Miami as well and learned after 6 months of analyzing tons of deals, that on-market straight-up simple cashflowing deals can be challenging to find here in Miami (Can find some in Little Havanna maybe), however depending on the capital you have and the number of units you are interested in, Broward county (Hollywood and above) can be much more solid. 

    Another option that may be suitable if you're comfortable with, is to invest in a "long-distance" property and manage from far.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Mike Barone thanks. I'll definitely be leveraging this platform for that. I may have no choice, but to look for other areas. Is there a website that provides updated location information such as population growth, average median home sales, rental capacity, etc.. like a one stop shop of data to analyze and determine what is a possible doable area to invest in?

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Jeffrey Donis thank you. Does BP offer such a list of wholesalers based on locations?

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Guy Idan thanks. Yes im looking at stuff as far north as West Palm Beach. I've found a couple that could make some sense, but the distance from my location would not be conducive for me to self manage... and when adding 8+10% cost, the numbers just front work...

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Alberto Diaz Hi Albert. It seems we are going to go outside our area to get a deal done. I've consider added value properties on large lots to increase sqft and all, but anything construction, especially down here, is a nightmare.

  • Investor · Davie, FL · Member since 2019 · 92 posts · 53 votes
    5y

    @Joaquin Garuz 
    There are a bunch of websites to grab data from such as Neighborhoodscout | Renotmeter and many more. Don't try and overanalyze or you will never pull the trigger. What class of property do you want to invest in? A, B C neighborhoods | What is your buy criteria like cash flow per door, cash on cash return % and funding strategy. Keep it simple find the deal that meats your criteria then jump into action.

  • Investor · Boca Raton FL · Member since 2017 · 255 posts · 188 votes
    5y

    @Joaquin Garuz I'm up north in Boca and I've been watching the trends between West palm and homestead since 2015, the numbers just don't make any sense, everybody is blindly betting on appreciation and I'm waiting to see how it all plays out during a downturn. 

    I receive at least 1 call per week from local investors looking to invest in Multifamily in Soflo, everybody is hunting. 

    I'm personally investing in the Midwest, MI, and OH where we can still find some good cash-flowing class B assets, and I'm targeting a steady cash flow more than appreciation so it's been a good journey so far. 

    Good luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Mike Barone I appreciate the info. Analysis paralysis is real. I was trying to follow the steps in the 90 day challenge to analyze 1 deal per day (I don't even think there are 90 deals in Miami to analyze). In any case, I'm working on narrowing down the other criteria, but honestly I was mostly focus on making sure the numbers work before getting too picky on all the other stuff class, etc...  

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Yoann Dorat If they didn't make sense back in 2015, then now its a joke to try to make them work. I've looked at adding value by ways of major/minor improvements, but if you get into having to get a GC to add sqft that can turn into a nightmare. Especially at this time that they are all busy and most subcontract the work to un-license people. Just calling it as it is out here... I am looking at Class B-C as I would want to build sweat equity and that is how I feel I would be able to find anything remotely doable... Cash flow is important, but I also don't want to be in a stagnated sector or market where there will never be any real appreciation or is already capped. Plus considering rents are also in an all time high, if those adjust downward it may eat up all the margins and then you are left with a negative assets.  How are you finding your deals out of state? Are you working with a realtor? For financing are you working with local banks/lenders or doing your own financing? Who is managing those for you and how did you pick them?

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Kevin Kohler Hi Kevin. Thank you for responding. I'm always open to connect. We can do so direct and I can go over what I'm looking for. As mentioned in my previous responses, I think off-market opportunities are really what interests me. Maybe a connection with an investor looking to retire and unload some of his properties or hand over management and do owner financing. I am open to any opportunity that makes sense for all parties. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 205 votes
    5y

    Here are some brutal truths about South Florida: What did not cash flow in 2015 or even 2019 is cash flowing nicely now. So if you are not cash flowing now, you very likely will in a year or two ESPECIALLY if willing to put some sweat equity, creativity, a bit of money & time.

    Advice from other areas doesn't apply here so well - we are almost a different country with different concentration of realtors; investors; and CASH buyers (either 1st or 2nd in the country - consistently).

    As you stated yourself, almost everyone knows they are sitting on gold... EVERY now & then, you get lucky (you can always help your luck with lots of looking!) and get something better than average. Something no one talks about is the TIME = money it will take you to find that one gem AS well as the opportunity cost. Maybe by looking for some kind of a hit out of the park, you pass on some decent deals that will cash flow in a matter of months (with some creativity).

    Trust answering those questions will help - always like to offer a contrarian view... 

  • Investor · Boca Raton FL · Member since 2017 · 255 posts · 188 votes
    5y

    @Joaquin Garuz Right, the problem is everybody's targeting value add projects in B-C areas. I agree you don't want to be stuck in a stagnated area, however, if you focus on 50 to 100 units in B-C areas you shouldn't be too much concerned about migration trends. And local dynamics are not as important of MFH as they would be on SFH, you can force your appreciation anywhere in the country as long as you're improving the income and/or reducing the expenses.

    I strongly believe the cash-flowing markets up north are going to be way less impacted by a recession than the southeast because they are based on solid fundamentals, as long as you don't overleverage you should be able to weather any cycles. 

    My 2cts on Major improvements... you want to stay as far as possible from these deals (been there done that) except if you're a GC and willing to be very hands-on. The best deals in my opinion are the ones around 70% occupancy that you can bring up to 85-90% by doing small cosmetic rehab but nothing major so you can focus on improving your financials without having to worry about debt service. 

    As far as how I find my deals, I run a wholesale company out of Detroit and I have team members all over Michigan and Ohio, hence why I focus on these areas, we do direct marketing to sellers and get a fair amount of referrals from other wholesalers. 

    I hope you'll find what you're looking for! 
    Yoann

  • Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Hi @Joaquin Garuz- It's definitely a tough market. Have you considered investing a multi-family fund? If this is something you're interested in, I'd love to talk with you in more detail. 

  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 691 votes
    5y

    As already mentioned, networking with wholesalers + agents is one of the best ways we have find smaller deals. We found 1 off market opportunity in Miami awhile back that came from an agent I had networking with- deals are still out. The more people you know that are looking for deals on your behalf, the more chances you have of getting one! 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    Metro Detroit offers many options for meeting the 1% Rule and relatively high ROI.

    Follow our "Deep Dive" series we're doing about Metro Detroit cities and City of Detroit Neighborhoods: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    General respond...thank you all for your insights. It has been great to read through them and absorb the knowledge of the collective. I may be replying directly to some of you so we can broaden our connection. Moving forward I'll be more engaged and present in the forums as I just got back from vacation. Again, thank you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.