Using an LLC. to make deals with other peoples money?

Using an LLC. to make deals with other peoples money?

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote

I have an idea in my head and I am wondering what legal hoops I need to jump through to make it work/how to get started.

How easy would it be to register for an LLC, seek out 50k-100k cash investors, have them transfer the money to the LLC (or wire it to an attorney to hold in escrow), then buy land and build a multi-unit OR purchase an existing multi-unit? I have access to tons of buy and hold, flippers, etc and I can think of 3 off the top of my head who trust me as a realtor and would want to get in on this if I pitched it properly.

The LLC. (me) would then hire a property manager, maintenance, lawn care, pay the insurance and taxes, etc. and pay out the investors monthly from the net proceeds.

1.) How common is this?

2.) Is there a name for it?

3.) What am I overlooking?

4.) As a realtor, non-investor partner of this, how could I benefit from this (get paid) other than on the initial transaction?

5.) And most importantly, what are the ACTUAL logistics of this (I've just made this idea up as I went)?

6.) Is there a step by step guide for setting this up?

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 23 votes
7y
Originally posted by @Jillian Sidoti:

Hi Eric. Let me know what you need. I am also coming our with a new raising money program next month that might be beneficial. I dont want to say the name because I dont want to be self promoting (thank you Canesha for the book shout out.)

I'm interested in the program. What are the details? I've officially rolled out the red carpet for some self-promotion. :)

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Eric Cady, once you're seeking "investors," you're either doing a syndication or starting a fund. Both are legal financial instruments that are highly regulated and require lawyers, paperwork, etc. Not something to jump into without a very good idea of what you're doing. Additionally, not just anyone can invest. One must be a "qualified investor" to invest in a syndication. I'm not sure about a fund.

    An easier route is probably to identify a property and form a LLC with you and the equity guys as partners. That partnership agreement can look however you want, within reason.

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eric Cady:

    I have an idea in my head and I am wondering what legal hoops I need to jump through to make it work/how to get started.

    How easy would it be to register for an LLC, seek out 50k-100k cash investors, have them transfer the money to the LLC (or wire it to an attorney to hold in escrow), then buy land and build a multi-unit OR purchase an existing multi-unit? I have access to tons of buy and hold, flippers, etc and I can think of 3 off the top of my head who trust me as a realtor and would want to get in on this if I pitched it properly.

    The LLC. (me) would then hire a property manager, maintenance, lawn care, pay the insurance and taxes, etc. and pay out the investors monthly from the net proceeds.

    1.) How common is this? Typically you have two LLCs, one to hold and one that manages the asset which is not to be confused with the property management. The LLC that manages the asset is the LLC they are submitting funds to. I know investors that do an S-corp for the asset management but I would say talk to you lawyer and CPA before you make that decision.

    2.) Is there a name for it? Irrelevant but don't get to pretty with the naming. Normally we name the LLC that holds the property something similar to the actual property name and the asset management company is the one that our investors have come to identify us with which is Twin Oaks Capital

    3.) What am I overlooking? Based on the simplicity of the questioning probably alot and I am still unclear on your structure if this is a JV or securities offering

    4.) As a realtor, non-investor partner of this, how could I benefit from this (get paid) other than on the initial transaction? If you are a non investor partner, who is providing oversight of this deal.  If you are teaming up with someone that is this is likely a securities offering.  If you are just finding the deal for them it would seem to just be a realtor commission or wholesale fee would suffice

    5.) And most importantly, what are the ACTUAL logistics of this (I've just made this idea up as I went)? There are no logistics because you are winging it

    6.) Is there a step by step guide for setting this up? Not until you can be more detailed on what you are offering besides finding the deal 

    See above

  • Specialist · Washington, DC · Member since 2019 · 177 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    @Eric Cady

    As I am not an attorney, the following should not be considered legal advice:

    So as stated above you are referring to a syndication. With this structure (under rule 506(b) of Regulation D) you are allowed to recieve capital from up to 35 "non-accredited" investors. However, these investors must be "sophisticated" either they themselves or through representation i.e. attorney, financial advisor ect. This simply means that they must possess efficient knowledge of finance or business to understand the risks involved with such a venture.

    In order to do this you must simply create an LLC through your state, as well as create an offering memorandum that contains all the pertinent information in an enhanced manner as to adequately explain a full level of proper disclosure. This will require a significant amount of money in order to properly draft the necessary paperwork required to meet regulations.

    Also, the amount of funds that can be recieved from non-accredited investors can not exceed $1M. The amount of money that each investor can contribute is also limited on the net worth of the individual.

    Bear in mind that this process takes considerable time and money to develop the legally required structure that will allow you to proceed with a syndication.

    It is very possible for you to do, but be prepared to take the long road to get there. The deal that you syndicate should be worth all the trouble it will take to successfully transact the deal.

    I don't know how knowledgeable you are with CRE investments but you should consider drowning yourself in developing a very detailed understanding of CRE business and finance in order to successfully execute a deal.

    Let me know if theres anything I can do to help you.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 479 votes
    7y

    @Eric Cady I would suggest speaking with an SEC attorney.  This is not an area to cut corners when it comes to raising capital.

  • Bryan MitchellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2016 · 623 posts · 337 votes
    7y

    Eric, you may also consider forming an LLP or LLC with the other investors as members. With an LLC, an investor could contribute xx dollars in owners capital for an equity position for instance while your articles in the formulation can stipulate the particulars of this individuals (I.e. control) in the organization. I'd advise seeking an attorney to look into this structure and compare it with a syndication.

  • Developer · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 475 posts · 424 votes
    7y

    @Eric Cady

    Eric, my first advice would be to get educated. I would suggest reading @Jillian Sidoti book “The crowdfunding Myth”. It does a good job is detailing different ways to raise money under the different regulations.

    I would also suggest speaking with a Securities attorney. Hope this helps.

    Best of luck.

  • Professional · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2013 · 405 posts · 458 votes
    7y

    Hi Eric. Let me know what you need. I am also coming our with a new raising money program next month that might be beneficial. I dont want to say the name because I dont want to be self promoting (thank you Canesha for the book shout out.)

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 909 posts · 297 votes
    7y

    be better just to JV no transferring of money necessary

  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Justin Kane if you're taking money from passive investors who will not be managing the deal, you're selling a security and must comply with SEC guidelines. Putting it in a JV structure doesn't dodge that.

  • Developer · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 475 posts · 424 votes
    7y

    @Jillian Sidoti

    Of course. It’s truly a great book with tons of information about the different regulations and how it affects raising money. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jillian Sidoti:

    Hi Eric. Let me know what you need. I am also coming our with a new raising money program next month that might be beneficial. I dont want to say the name because I dont want to be self promoting (thank you Canesha for the book shout out.)

    I'm interested in the program. What are the details? I've officially rolled out the red carpet for some self-promotion. :)

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 909 posts · 297 votes
    7y

    @Taylor L. that is incorrect sir, it is called a money partner. The money partner has direct involvement with the property itself usually in the form of equity as the property will be warranty deed to that partner or have 1st position.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.