Malibu, CA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 6 votes
Hey BP,
Here in California, deals I am underwriting (usually 80+ units) are seeing 4.35 to 5.5 on the top end. Out of curiosity, what are you seeing in your cities of investment?
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y
Cap rates range by property class, metro and submarket so we are seeing a range of cap rates. Then again we are underwriting A, B and C deals in several states. That said, I'm seeing as low as 4% for class A product in core CA markets, 5-5.5% for B product in Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston and Central Florida; and 5.5% to 6% for B- to C+ properties in those markets.
CBRE puts out a great cap rate study twice per year--you should get a copy if you are looking at multiple markets. It will show cap ranges in each major market for each class of property. Great resource.
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
8y
Here in Olympia/Tacoma Wa for deals that size those numbers are about the same! That is tolerable for Ca. Not here! Maybe I should OOS back to Ca? ;<))
Here in Olympia/Tacoma Wa for deals that size those numbers are about the same! That is tolerable for Ca. Not here! Maybe I should OOS back to Ca? ;<))
I was actually looking at a couple projects in Dupont and Renton seeing those caps. One actually had a pretty high NOI, but no upside.
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y
Cap rates range by property class, metro and submarket so we are seeing a range of cap rates. Then again we are underwriting A, B and C deals in several states. That said, I'm seeing as low as 4% for class A product in core CA markets, 5-5.5% for B product in Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston and Central Florida; and 5.5% to 6% for B- to C+ properties in those markets.
CBRE puts out a great cap rate study twice per year--you should get a copy if you are looking at multiple markets. It will show cap ranges in each major market for each class of property. Great resource.
Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
Minneapolis is around 4-4.75% in the A space. 4.75-5.75 in the B space and 5.75-7 in the C space. Those numbers are 1-1.5 above our typical market. I am seeing high cap markets like Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Louisville, Indianapolis greatly compressed as well. Those markets are approaching minneapolis cap rates, but still 0.5-1 pt higher.
CBRE puts out a great cap rate study twice per year--you should get a copy if you are looking at multiple markets. It will show cap ranges in each major market for each class of property. Great resource.
Thank you for your input. I will definitely check this out.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
8y
I am seeing 7% in my city, but that often doesn't include management or vacancy expense. Once you include those costs, it can run down to 5% or 6%. Still people are buying properties in less than a week.
Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 474 posts · 580 votes
8y
Greater Cincinnati ranges from 5% to 12%, most C class areas (the vast majority of inventory) go between 7-9%. The areas I buy, I look for atleast an 8% cap with value add to increase.