Austin, Texas market for young investors

Austin, Texas market for young investors

Storm Lake, IA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 9 votes

Hi everybody! I am searching for a great city that can offer a young guy great potential to get started in multi-fam and apartments investing. I've heard a lot of great stuff about Austin, but it seems that it has already hit its big boom and might be expensive for a beginner. I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on Austin for young investors, and if you would have some better cities in mind please share!

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 254 posts · 265 votes
8y

I also live in Austin and I'm able to consistently find deals that provide an 8-10% first year investor return but I'm typically buying 200-300 unit properties.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 263 posts · 186 votes
    8y

    @Jalen Henningsen I live in Austin but focus all of my investing efforts in Dallas/Fort Worth for a few reasons 

    1. Population Growth

    2. Job Growth/Job diveristy

    3. Corporate Relocations

    4. Few geographic barriers to economic development

    5. Large institutional capital investments across a variety of sectors (retail, industrial, MF & office.)

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 254 posts · 265 votes
    8y

    I also live in Austin and I'm able to consistently find deals that provide an 8-10% first year investor return but I'm typically buying 200-300 unit properties.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Jalen Henningsen what’s wrong with where you are? Do you just not want to live there anymore?
  • United States · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 394 votes
    8y

    Unless your game plan is appreciation, there are better markets. As @Jordan Moorhead asked, why not somewhere near home? If it's Texas you like, try looking a bit south in San Antonio.

    What exactly you're looking for might help folks provide better insight as well - you say MF. Small? Large? Commercial? How many units are you targeting per property?

    There is a lot of new construction competition in and around Austin. BUT, there are deals to be had, as @Bruce Petersen is a testament, you might just be looking at lower grade properties to stay "affordable." 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.