One thing you do each day to grow your investor network?

One thing you do each day to grow your investor network?

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 263 posts · 186 votes

The Capital Raising Checklist

Thank you to everyone who chimed in on the previous thread to discuss their best piece of advice on raising capital.  As I look over the list, I am reminded that doing these things well and consistently over time is the best recipe to continue to grow my investor network.

Follow up questions:

What is the one thing you do each day to grow your investor network?

What is the one thing you do each week to grow your investor network?

I aggregated the excellent responses from Omar KhanJuan VargasBruce PetersenBrian AdamsGino BarbaroDave Van HornTodd DexheimerBrian Burke

I really appreciate everyone’s insights and wisdom.Thank you again for sharing!

Capital Raising Checklist:

1. Be trustworthy and credible.Be honest and ethical.

2.  Have a great deal and know your deal inside and out

3.  Put yourself in a position to connect and develop relationships with investors on a regular basis, i.e. REIAs, meetups & networking events.  Start with your inner circle and work you way out.

4.  Be patient.  Look for opportunities to add value to your investor community and think long term.

5.  Communication is critical!  Provide consistent and timely communication and follow through on your commitments.

6.  Always be raising capital.  Have a plan that you can execute each week to consistently connect with investors.

7.  Share your story and why investors should invest with you…put away the PowerPoint, you can send/leave behind ppt’s and other information for investors to review.

8.  Be upfront and set realistic expectations with your investors. (see, be trustworthy and credible #1)

9.  Give the best reporting in the industry & speak to your track record. (See, communication is critical #5)

10. Stop thinking of this as a real estate business!  You are competing against other financial services, i.e. stocks & REITs, align yourself with the professional legal and accounting counsel.

2Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Gino BarbaroPro Member
Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

@Ryan Cox

Hi Ryan

I have made it a commitment to spend at least 15 minutes per day on BP answering questions and engaging with the community.  I also have a private FB group that I add tremendous value to as far as answering questions, posting relevant content and connecting investors.

Weekly, try to create a valuable content piece and a weekly podcast to use for inbound marketing.

Always look to position yourself as an expert, as Napoleon Hill spoke about in his writings.  Interview other experts in your field and constantly learn and share your knowledge

Hope that helps

Gino

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · BOSTON, MA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Great list!!!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 233 posts · 188 votes
    8y

    @Ryan Cox Since you mention the word "grow" and not "maintain" I'll say this... I think you have to constantly put yourself out there and give everyone you meet your "elevator pitch". For example.. When they ask you "How are you?", you can reply to them with "I'm doing great, although I could be better if I came across another x property that provides 10-12% returns." That will surely pique their interest and provide an opportunity to "grow" your network. Now this is just 1 example as there are many ways to do so. Obviously you'd have to follow SEC regulations but that's another story. 

  • Tim BergstromPro Member
    Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 127 posts · 71 votes
    8y

    @Ryan Cox Great post/initiation of a topic! I'm totally with you for determining daily bite sized efforts to make into habits to keep you moving towards your goals! I've actually begun to heavily utilize that tactic as part of my new strategy for 2018.

    So to answer your question, one simple thing I have on my "habit" list is to "spend 15 minutes per day networking online". Meaning, finding posts like this! And then commenting and or reaching out to people who I think may also be aligned with the direction I'm headed. By the end of each month that's 7.5 hours of growing your network!

    The weekly "habit" I have that builds on that is try to set up at least 1-3 in person meets ups per week from the online networking I do. Even if they're only 30 minute coffee meetings, that can still have great value for both people. Or if not in person perhaps on the phone (if you're not in the same state etc). 

    And the most important shift I think that makes a huge difference is (and @Brandon Turner has mentioned this on the podcast before) is just thinking of networking as "making friends". That is SO MUCH BETTER of a strategy than the stuffy "network" mindset of a transactional approach. I genuinely want to find people I get along with/like and can help, because then everything will work much better and be much more fulfilling in the end I believe. At least, that's how its been in my experience thus far! Haha.

    Thanks for initiating this man! And if anyone reading this is in the Nashville area and/or interested in Short Term Rentals or looking to acquire multi-family units get in touch with me!

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Ryan Cox

    Hi Ryan

    I have made it a commitment to spend at least 15 minutes per day on BP answering questions and engaging with the community.  I also have a private FB group that I add tremendous value to as far as answering questions, posting relevant content and connecting investors.

    Weekly, try to create a valuable content piece and a weekly podcast to use for inbound marketing.

    Always look to position yourself as an expert, as Napoleon Hill spoke about in his writings.  Interview other experts in your field and constantly learn and share your knowledge

    Hope that helps

    Gino

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Get your self out there and be apart of networks. Let people know what you do. Some of this list I don't do daily:

    - Volunteer for a charity/organization. This could be the college you went to or a non-profit you like. Become involved and even part of the board. 

    -Start posing blogs, linked in articles, BP posts, Facebook posts, etc. What ever you do, make yourself a leader in the space

    -Make several new connections each day

    -Attend RE groups and conferences

    -Be a keynote speaker

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.