Lending Options for a Triplex (newbie in real estate)

Lending Options for a Triplex (newbie in real estate)

Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 6 votes

Hello BP!

I have been reading and studying as much as I can for the past year and I am ready to get started in investing. I am astounded and thankful to have come across BP.

My story: I currently own one property that I have turned into a rental. I used a VA loan for financing, so now if I want to purchase another home through FHA I have to actually be living in it. I currently have my sights on a triplex: one unit is 2 bed 2 bath, and two units that are 1 bed 1 bath. All units are currently occupied, and one of the units houses an older man who does the "handy work" and maintenance for the property. It cash flows $1400 per month. The property was built in 1978, so it isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, but the tenants there love living there (from what it seemed like during my walk thru).

Now, to get to my question, since all units are occupied and  I wouldn't be planning on living in the property, what are some financing options that would be best and require the least amount down? I plan on buying and holding with this triplex.

I would appreciate any advice and I look forward to interacting with the community!  

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

You have an issue with existing tenants. Your intent to OO is necessary for the FHA loan, but also means you must evict at least one. You are advised to make that a contingence of the offer.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Almont, MI · Member since 2015 · 360 posts · 302 votes
    10y

    It would be considered an investor loan which usually requires 20% down plus reserves (depends on the bank).

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    You have an issue with existing tenants. Your intent to OO is necessary for the FHA loan, but also means you must evict at least one. You are advised to make that a contingence of the offer.

  • Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Thank you @Jeff B. for the advice. I wanted to follow the strategy of putting as little down as possible (in the event I do not hold for an extended period of time) and build up enough equity and cash flow to be able to reinvest in another property, but it seems like I will have to find another method to accomplish this. Maybe a fix and flip to start off with? what is your opinion on with companies that offer more financing, but a higher interest rate? Is this the method that is ideal?

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Angela Hansen:

    Thank you @Jeff B. and @Dante Pirouz for the advice. ...

    Maybe a fix and flip to start off with? what is your opinion on with companies that offer more financing, but a higher interest rate? Is this the method that is ideal?

     Consider:  Setting on the bench or playing in the game?  

    STARTING with anything that gives a return, even if it's not the best deal in town, is better than setting it out waiting for the ... so called ... perfect deal.  You also need to have a plan to either move-up or to exit.

    Know your market, be sure of your numbers and then "send me in coach, I'm ready to play".

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.