Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shane Burke
Pro Member
Votes |
I have a water bill question

Shane Burke
Pro Member
Posted Jul 23 2024, 17:57

I just purchased my first duplex in April.  When doing the inspection on Jan 31 we found the outside water faucet was turned on… just a trickle but definitely running. Ground was soggy and was wet in the basement under the open faucet!   We turned it off and made a note of it in the inspection. I closed on April 4 and everything has been good with the tenant that the open faucet was feet from there front door. They Pd rents on the 1st of every month. Fast forward to now and I received a $725 water bill, from April 4 to June 28. Water/sewer sent water usage and it was 2 to 3,000 gallons used every day for the month of April.   May 2nd the water use dropped to 150 to 200 gallons a day for both units!   The unit with the water faucet outside there door, are in the process of moving out this month.   I have there $575 security deposit.  Last owner didn’t raise rent. I’m working on that. So my question: Would I legally be able to keep the security deposit to help cover the water bill, given that we found the faucet on previously?    

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jul 23 2024, 19:31

Unless you can prove they turned it on and left it on, unlikely. They should have been more attentive, but honestly if the tap on the side of my house was open, unless my neighbour saw it, I wouldn't know it was open.  I did have the water company for a rental call me as they couldn't get hold of the tenant and the water was constantly running.  Tenant said the flapper valve on the toilet sometimes stuck-she paid the bill and arranged things with the water company...but in this day and age I'd like to think the water companies would alert users if there is a massive and continuous spike in water consumption.

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
#5 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
#5 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • College Station, TX
Replied Jul 23 2024, 19:36

Not worth the legal battle. Caulk this one up to a lesson learned. 

In future leases, you could state that you cover water up to $XX.XX. Anything over that amount you could split between the units and bill back. 

But even that is a PIA. Just keep an eye on the bill and BPT search for leaks, running toilets, and faulty faucets.

Good luck

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Shane Burke
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 23 2024, 19:49

They didn’t notify till the bill came…. In talking to other investors this has happened to them as well in my area. I will see if the water company has a way to put some kind of alert in place, to notify me of a future excessive water usage. Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 23 2024, 20:03
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Unless you can prove they turned it on and left it on, unlikely. They should have been more attentive, but honestly if the tap on the side of my house was open, unless my neighbour saw it, I wouldn't know it was open.  I did have the water company for a rental call me as they couldn't get hold of the tenant and the water was constantly running.  Tenant said the flapper valve on the toilet sometimes stuck-she paid the bill and arranged things with the water company...but in this day and age I'd like to think the water companies would alert users if there is a massive and continuous spike in water consumption.

Ha! An alert would be great. My water company only pays a visit if you're not using water. Saw them on my security cam poking around, turning on outside faucets, and checking the street meter.  I called and asked what's up? They said they were concerned I wasn't using any water.

It's vacant but actively watched over, but using very little water. I had been busy doing other projects and this place was on the low priority. But still found it odd that they burn employee time for no water usage. Why the F don't they contact me when tenants don't pay their water bills? Instead of poking around my property when the water bill is fully paid?  Actually made me angry.  Grrrrrr.

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jul 24 2024, 05:44

Unless you can prove they turned on the water and left it on, then it is unfortunately on you. 

Utilities should be tenants responsibility but of course leaky pipes are yours. 

fix the water issue, check for leaks, and look at your meter. make sure it is a normal amount before putting the issue to rest

• Real Estate Agent New Jersey (#2323863) and Pennsylvania (#RS3399189)

• 267-767-0111
  • [email protected]
Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 24 2024, 14:39

@Shane Burke
I agree that this is a good lesson learned. I wouldn’t pursue it further, but be more careful in the future about how you phrase utility billing in leases. Next time, consider implementing a RUBS system to prevent this issue from happening again.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jul 24 2024, 14:49

No.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Grenzig
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jul 25 2024, 07:43

Probably not, be happy your water costs are actually lower than they used to be and use this as a win.

If you want to prevent this in the future you can tackle this one of three ways, assuming they are allowed in your area (check before you do anything)

1. Have the resident put the utilities in their name if it's per unit. If it's 1 meter for 2+ units then probably not a great option

2. Bill back for utilities on a flat rate to help recoup some of the costs

3. Bill back for utilities based on usage, need to have a specific caluction for this (is it based on per unit, per number of occupants, per SF, etc.) Here's how it works. Jul1-30 they use the water, you get the bill on Aug 2nd. You can't bill them right away so you have to wait until Sep 1 to prorate that utility bill to the residents. So you're effectively billing 2 months in arrears but on the 3rd month (month 1 July, month 2 Aug, month 3 Sep). So it takes awhile to catch up, but they're paying their actual fair share of usage. Where it gets tricky is when they move out. Since they got the first 2 months without paying anything, their last month before moving out they have to pay for 3 months all at one time. One of those months you'll know what it is, but the other 2 you'll have to take some sort of an average and tack it on. There are companies that do this for you and charge a fee, but usually it's for larger buildings. 

Personally we just do option 1 or 2, it's easy to explain and understand, and even if option 2 only recoups you 80% of the cost, that's better than 0% or the headache of trying to figure out option 3.

Again make sure this is all allowed for your area