Starting out and looking for building a team in Ohio area

Starting out and looking for building a team in Ohio area

Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 12 votes

Hi BP friends,

We have been fixated on Pittsburgh, PA for quite some time now, but we've come to the realization that our pursuit of cash flow deals in this area has hit a roadblock. Therefore, we have decided to pivot our attention towards the captivating realms of Ohio, with a particular emphasis on the Cleveland and Cincinnati. In order to make this transition we would like to form a team and connections with great broker, a reliable lender, and a proficient property management with contractors connections. Happy to discuss our strategy and what we are looking for in details.

Feel free to contact me.

-Guchan

8Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

@Guchan Ozbilgin, I am curious what roadblocks you are hitting in Pittsburgh that you think will be resolved in Cincinnati or Cleveland?  

While I don't know Cleveland, in Cincinnati, like most any market, and without knowing your return objectives, cash flow tends to come with risk in Cincinnati, and often times that risk comes in the form of more frequent tenant turn over with higher turnover costs, lower appreciation areas, and typically you are buying in older areas with a lot of deferred maintenance that could quickly turn you from cash flowing to spending very quickly.

At a Marco level, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh are very similar cities.  Similar size populations, neither are experiencing any major population growth.  Pittsburgh seems to skew slightly younger, but Cincinnati seems to have a slightly better job market.

https://www.bestplaces.net/com...

https://www.bestplaces.net/com...

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Guchan Ozbilgin:

    Hi BP friends,

    We have been fixated on Pittsburgh, PA for quite some time now, but we've come to the realization that our pursuit of cash flow deals in this area has hit a roadblock. Therefore, we have decided to pivot our attention towards the captivating realms of Ohio, with a particular emphasis on the Cleveland and Cincinnati. In order to make this transition we would like to form a team and connections with great broker, a reliable lender, and a proficient property management with contractors connections. Happy to discuss our strategy and what we are looking for in details.

    Feel free to contact me.

    -Guchan


     Tons of opportunities here in the Cleveland area. Just be careful, for every out of state investor making money in Cleveland there is another one losing it. I recommend you do some serious research on the various neighborhoods and pricing we have around town.

    I'd read The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods as a starting point and then go from there before buying anything.

  • Brittany MinocchiBusiness Member
    Lender · Massillon, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 486 votes
    3y

    Hi Guchan, 

    Many folks on the forums invest in Cleveland. Canton is another market that I have had success with personally - I also have the goal of cash flow and don’t focus much on appreciation. I’d you’d like to talk more, I’m happy to connect. 

    Brittany Minocchi - Barrett Financial Group, LLC522 Reviews
    View Page
  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Guchan Ozbilgin, I am curious what roadblocks you are hitting in Pittsburgh that you think will be resolved in Cincinnati or Cleveland?  

    While I don't know Cleveland, in Cincinnati, like most any market, and without knowing your return objectives, cash flow tends to come with risk in Cincinnati, and often times that risk comes in the form of more frequent tenant turn over with higher turnover costs, lower appreciation areas, and typically you are buying in older areas with a lot of deferred maintenance that could quickly turn you from cash flowing to spending very quickly.

    At a Marco level, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh are very similar cities.  Similar size populations, neither are experiencing any major population growth.  Pittsburgh seems to skew slightly younger, but Cincinnati seems to have a slightly better job market.

    https://www.bestplaces.net/com...

    https://www.bestplaces.net/com...

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Guchan Ozbilgin:

    Hi BP friends,

    We have been fixated on Pittsburgh, PA for quite some time now, but we've come to the realization that our pursuit of cash flow deals in this area has hit a roadblock. Therefore, we have decided to pivot our attention towards the captivating realms of Ohio, with a particular emphasis on the Cleveland and Cincinnati. In order to make this transition we would like to form a team and connections with great broker, a reliable lender, and a proficient property management with contractors connections. Happy to discuss our strategy and what we are looking for in details.

    Feel free to contact me.

    -Guchan


     I know many many investors including me that have been buying out there for years. If you are a cash buyer, about 100k you can get a SF with about 1300 in rent. I just picked up 9 more doors over the last two weeks, all with 20% net caps or better,,,

    BTW I live in FL and do all my business in Cleveland,  

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 161 posts · 217 votes
    3y

    Hi @Guchan Ozbilgin, I think Cleveland is a great option for cashflow. Have you also considered Columbus? I personally focus my investments in Columbus, which has seen a significant increase in property values and is expected to continue this trend in the future. This is due in large part to major corporations like Intel, Honda, Nationwide Children's Hospital, and Wexner Medical Center investing heavily in the region and creating numerous job opportunities. Additionally, Ohio has favorable landlord-tenant laws that provide landlords with more rights and protections.

      • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
        Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
        3y

        @Guchan Ozbilgin

        I shot you a DM about Cincy

        Sam McCormack Realtor
        View Page
      • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 12 votes
        3y

        Thank you all for great pointers. I will start DM'ing and get more information! 

      • Jack KrusinskiBusiness Member
        Realtor · Cleveland/Akron OH · Member since 2019 · 141 posts · 91 votes
        3y

        Hey Guchan,

        Excited to chat about investing in Cleveland! I can't really speak for Cincinnati, but growing up in Cleveland and owning rentals and flips here, I've got some solid local insight.

        We can certainly pinpoint a few areas that lean toward cash flow opportunities. Cleveland can be a tricky market as you likely want a good balance of cash flow but not being in high crime and high vacancy areas. 

      • Rental Property Investor · Centreville, VA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 799 votes
        3y

        Hi Guchan! I am also an out of state investor and my portfolio is set up in Cleveland. I would love to connect and see if I can be of any help.

      • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 67 posts · 83 votes
        3y

        Hi Guchan- I am an investor focused agent here in Cleveland and would love to help provide some pros and cons of investing in the area! 

      • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 227 posts · 133 votes
        3y
        Congratulations!  Always good to have some diversification in the portfolio!
      • Edison, NJ · Member since 2014 · 80 posts · 19 votes
        3y

        @Brittany Minocchi I am looking to invest in the Ohio market as the NE is not reasonable. Looking for multi families to hold.

      • Edison, NJ · Member since 2014 · 80 posts · 19 votes
        3y

        @Bob Stevens would love to talk to you as I am getting into my first out state.

      • Brittany MinocchiBusiness Member
        Lender · Massillon, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 486 votes
        3y
        Quote from @Neil P.:

        @Brittany Minocchi I am looking to invest in the Ohio market as the NE is not reasonable. Looking for multi families to hold.


         I much prefer multi-families as well! Happy to chat if you'd like to send me a message. 

        Brittany Minocchi - Barrett Financial Group, LLC522 Reviews
        View Page
      • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 7 votes
        3y

        I represent Rustbelt Construction, specialists in painting and flooring. While these are our core areas of expertise, we have comprehensive experience in meeting all home project needs. As we’re expanding our reach, we’re keen on establishing a partnership with distinguished real estate firms like yours. I’m confident that our high standards of work can greatly enhance your property offerings. I’d be glad to provide references and photos to showcase our work. Would you be available for a conversation about potential collaboration?

      Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.