300K IRS Lien - Tax Sale - Negatives - Advice

300K IRS Lien - Tax Sale - Negatives - Advice

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 17 votes

There is a huge parcel of land 110 acre 650K comp pacre parcel going up for auction due to taxes.

I pulled the records and discovered the parcel has about 300k in IRS liens and 2k in state liens. I know the IRS has a certain time frame (I think 90 days) to procure the property. If they do they will pay me the money I paid at the tax sale. It is just land therefore no improvements would be made. It seems like there is no down side. Am I missing anything?

Also the taxes owed is only around 1k due to agricultural zoning. Is there a way to bid up the property to 10k even if there is no other bidders?

I love owning large parcels of land but noticed that they hardly ever owe a lot of back taxes even if they are years behind.

0Reply
15 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Anyone have any input. Could really use some advice. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    your thought process is correct.. bid away... IRS 99% of the time never redeems its 120 days.. after that you own it... IRS are my friend they scare many bidders away I love them...

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 17 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    your thought process is correct.. bid away... IRS 99% of the time never redeems its 120 days.. after that you own it... IRS are my friend they scare many bidders away I love them...

     May I ask what your experience has been with liens at the State level. The employment security commission, dept of employment and workforce, and the dept of revenue for the state?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Bryce Davis  all state specific so I don't have any experience in NC in this matter.. talk with title company and ask them what you need to get title insurance that will be the easiest way to figure that out

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.