Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jacobo B.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Stopping a Foreclosure Auction

Jacobo B.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Posted

Hello everybody!

I need help!!! I'm about to sign a contract to purchase a property with a owner facing foreclosure and the auction is in 7 days. How do I stop the auction to get enough time to close on it? 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Okenwa
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Replied

@Jacobo B.

I'm assuming the property is in Miami, but the website for the clerk of the court has information on what it would take for a property owner to redeem his/her property prior to or immediately following an auction. I'd call the court or search the auction site and get the case number and get in touch with the appropriate parties to find out exactly how much is due and how you can go about staving off the foreclosure. You may need to get a lawyer if you're not well-versed in foreclosure proceedings so you can ensure you follow the proper steps.

Property Redemption

To redeem your property, you must pay the full amount of the Final Judgment (plus interest, fees and costs) to the Clerk of the Courts. Payment must be made in the form of cash, or cashiers’ check, made payable to the Clerk of the Courts. You should contact the Clerk of the Courts Foreclosure Unit (see contact information on the front of this brochure) for a redemption certificate which will give you the correct amount you must pay to redeem your property.

After you have redeemed your property, you will receive a “Clerk’s Certificate of Satisfaction of Final Judgment of Foreclosure” which will be recorded in the Public Records at the County Recorder’s Office – 22 NW 1st Street, Miami, Florida, 33128, phone # (305) 275-1155. A fee is required to record this document.

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied

You can't...but the homeowner can:  "Negotiating a loan modification or payment plan to pay your defaults, requesting a deed-in-lieu, making a short sale, suing your lender, or filing for bankruptcy are some of the options available." (End).  And, you need to KNOW that even if you were to purchase the property at the auction, it doesn't guarantee you clear title to the property: https://www.primerus.com/busin... 

Your best bet - and I'm not sure it will be the right play - would be to attempt to reach a sale agreement with the homeowner that would be acceptable to the lender.  Odds of that happening are slim to none as they say.  Take the time to know more before thinking there's a deal to be had.  Again, you can't stop the auction...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joe Homs
Agent
Pro Member
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Replied

@Jacobo B. I just closed on a deal like this in California. Have the seller call the bank and tell them they have sn offer and would like a 30-day postponement. The bank does not want the property back. They complied, and we closed 25 days later. Reach out to

@violet rose

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

You have to pay the reinstatement off, that number changes daily. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Jacobo B.

They will need to pay the past due and reinstate the loan. Lender may postpone if they have a contract in place with you and you have proof of funds and a large security deposit

User Stats

Votes
Dwayne Byrd
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Palm Bay, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Palm Bay, FL
Replied

We literally closed on one last year the day before it was to be auctioned off. We went to a title company which was ran by a lawyer. We had to get paperwork together quickly and he stayed in touch with the lender to keep them updated. We pulled it off with cash very quickly. It can be done, would definitely use a title company that has an attorney as compared to a normal sale I always use a normal title company.

User Stats

Votes
Rob Jacobs
  • Real Estate Coach
  • USA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • USA
Replied

If this is the actual foreclosure sale, you have 3 options unless you can pay cash and close before the sale date. 

1.) Ask the seller to call the bank and ask them to stop that sale in lieu of a short sale or, loan modification. This is very unlikely due to timeline. 

2.) If they were affected by Covid, he seller can apply for HAF, then call the lender, give them  the HAF application number and again ask them to stop the sale. Still unlikely that they'll postpone the sale.

3.) Here's your best option. The seller would need to contact a bankruptcy atorney and file prior to the sale date. That will stop all foreclosure activity immediately. Then they can look into their options to save the house, sell the house and other options that may be available to them. This is by far the best chance at getting the sale postponed.

If this court date is for the judgement, you may still have enough time prior to the actual foreclosure but, you would need to pay the amount owed per the judgement in order to clear escrow. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Gina Stern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied
Yes, you would need to file a motion in court to stop the foreclosure, find a good Real Estate Attorney here in Florida I have several, message me directly if you need a great recommendation.