Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sean Stewart
Votes |
2nd lien bank foreclosure - excess funds go to 1st lien?

Sean Stewart
Posted Jul 11 2022, 18:12

Scenario: 2nd lien bank foreclosure auction ~ $50k judgement/fee/interests.  Winning Bid at auction $100k.  1st lien owed $150k (not in foreclosure yet)

My question: Does any winning bid over the 2nd lien credit bid automatically apply/pay toward the 1st lien creditor?  Meaning, does that 1st lien lender (so not technically a subordinate lien) receive the additional $50k at the closing, essentially reducing their position to $50k?

Put another way, where does the $50k over the 2nd lien go?

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jul 11 2022, 18:34

Good question. My answer is...

I don't know. But I don't think the first mortgage holder would get that money.

The winning bidder (and new owner) would have to payoff the entire first mortgage. Those surplus funds (sometimes called excess proceeds) would likely go to the former owner of the property (unless there are other creditors in 3rd lien, and so on, positions).

User Stats

Votes
Chad U.
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jul 12 2022, 05:07
Quote from @Sean Stewart:

Scenario: 2nd lien bank foreclosure auction ~ $50k judgement/fee/interests.  Winning Bid at auction $100k.  1st lien owed $150k (not in foreclosure yet)

My question: Does any winning bid over the 2nd lien credit bid automatically apply/pay toward the 1st lien creditor?  Meaning, does that 1st lien lender (so not technically a subordinate lien) receive the additional $50k at the closing, essentially reducing their position to $50k?

Put another way, where does the $50k over the 2nd lien go?

As per my response to your other post, any surplus goes to the next lienholder in line and if there are none, goes to the owner.  The 1st lien remains intact, so they need to initiate foreclosure to recoup their funds. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Sean Stewart
Votes |
Replied Jul 12 2022, 09:29

Thank you, Chad!  Must have missed that notification.

User Stats

Votes
Miranda Holland
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Macon, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Macon, GA
Replied Jul 15 2022, 21:51

If I'm reading your scenario correctly, the 2nd lien holder gets no money at all. The second lien holder should have never foreclosed because the 1st lien holder gets paid 1st. And the first lien holder doesn't mind taking the 50k hit because he was likely to take a much bigger hit anyway. The 2nd lien holder did the 1st a huge favor. Now if the property sells for 200k at auction, the 2nd lien holder will get their money. 

But if the property sells for more than 200k at auction, the excess funds is SUPPOSED to go to the BORROWER (HOMEOWNER). But, the funds usually ends up going to the county because the borrower doesn't know they had a right to that money. 

User Stats

Votes
Chad U.
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jul 16 2022, 05:20
Quote from @Miranda Holland:

If I'm reading your scenario correctly, the 2nd lien holder gets no money at all. The second lien holder should have never foreclosed because the 1st lien holder gets paid 1st. And the first lien holder doesn't mind taking the 50k hit because he was likely to take a much bigger hit anyway. The 2nd lien holder did the 1st a huge favor. Now if the property sells for 200k at auction, the 2nd lien holder will get their money. 

But if the property sells for more than 200k at auction, the excess funds is SUPPOSED to go to the BORROWER (HOMEOWNER). But, the funds usually ends up going to the county because the borrower doesn't know they had a right to that money. 

Not entirely correct.  The 2nd lien holder gets paid out of the auction proceeds up to whatever is owed to them.  The surplus goes to next in line or the owner.   Whomever bought the property at the auction takes title subject to the 1st lien.  The 1st can still foreclose to try and recoup their funds, and the new owner would lose title to the property unless they pay it off.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 16 2022, 05:24

Chad is correct. The first is not effected in any way. Your buying the house with the lien attached.

I just had this happen in PA where someone overbid the 2nd more than payoff and homeowner got the $. Foreclosure buyer didn’t know what they were buying and didn’t realize my loan is still on property.

Now they want to negotiate with me and I am easily covered with equity in property. Now they must pay me or we could foreclose.

User Stats

Votes
Miranda Holland
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Macon, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Macon, GA
Replied Jul 16 2022, 09:31
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

Chad is correct. The first is not effected in any way. Your buying the house with the lien attached.

I just had this happen in PA where someone overbid the 2nd more than payoff and homeowner got the $. Foreclosure buyer didn’t know what they were buying and didn’t realize my loan is still on property.

Now they want to negotiate with me and I am easily covered with equity in property. Now they must pay me or we could foreclose.

We're you in 1st position or 2nd? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 2 2022, 18:43

I dont see why the surplus bypasses the 1st lienholder?? They have a LIEN on the property meaning if it sells in any way shape or form they must benefit up until the debt owed to them...how would it possibly go to the 2nd lien holder or even the former owner in this case?

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Aug 2 2022, 19:48
Quote from @Jy Kasnett:

I dont see why the surplus bypasses the 1st lienholder?? They have a LIEN on the property meaning if it sells in any way shape or form they must benefit up until the debt owed to them...how would it possibly go to the 2nd lien holder or even the former owner in this case?

Because that’s the way the law works.  This is Not an ordinary sale, where of course the first lien gets paid in full.  This is a court ordered enforcement of a second mtg…that second mtg holder gets paid, up to the amount of their lien.  The reason why the first lien holder does Not get paid, is because any lien holders junior to the foreclosing lien get wiped out, so they get paid from any proceeds.  If there are no junior liens, the owner gets the surplus.  The legal theory is that the first lien still has their lien and is not prejudiced by junior lien foreclosure.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied Aug 3 2022, 07:26

The 1st lienholder is not even a party to a 2nd lien foreclosure case. No notice. No right to surplus funds. The 1st lien is not affected.

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 3 2022, 08:19

As everyone said, the first is unaffected and doesn’t get paid with any surpluses. The property is acquired with the first still intact along with unpaid property taxes, federal liens, and any other encumbrances that are superior to the second