I'm considering buying a small family run motel (10-15 units) in the Western US for $500,000, this would include the land and the business. I have access to $80,000 in a HELOC, but my wife is currently starting her own business, so we may need this money for cash reserves as she gets going. We own a couple rentals where we are generating cash flow, but nothing extraordinary. Owning a motel like this has been our dream since we moved to the West 6 years ago. Anyway, what would be some of the best options for a loan or to secure funding? Commercial-Business loan/Construction loan/Hard Money Lender, etc? What is a typical down payment on a commercial property? Do I need to write a business plan to secure funding for an already operational motel? Any advice/guidance would be appreciated, thank you!
Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
@Mark
@Mark Zajaczkowski it sounds like your best bet would be to go to a small, local bank who would understand/appreciate the property or location. Call and ask for the commercial lender.
My experience is CRE is the down payment would likely vary depending on how much the building/land or worth vacant but I would likely expect 20-25%.
Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
@Mark
@Mark Zajaczkowski it sounds like your best bet would be to go to a small, local bank who would understand/appreciate the property or location. Call and ask for the commercial lender.
My experience is CRE is the down payment would likely vary depending on how much the building/land or worth vacant but I would likely expect 20-25%.
Do you have any recommendations on how to find a hard money lender and what is a typical repayment structure? Is it easier to secure an SBA loan after the fact on purchasing the business/property?
Lender · Coeur d'Alene, ID · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 25 votes
5y
@Luke Henderson I'm sorry. I am not an SBA expert, just a private lender. There are SBA brokers around, and maybe even on BP who could answer that question. I do know that many times sellers don't want to wait or extend the PSA to accommodate the longer times an SBA can take; that is where we have stepped in to provide the bridge financing.
@Mark Zajaczkowski you can message me directly on your hard money lender question (and an SBA broker). As for "easier" re the SBA loan, my understanding is that it's more about the timing. However, a good broker who is experienced at SBA loans can help with this.