Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Syndication with No Sponsor Equity Contribution

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Posted Jun 2 2016, 09:59

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any experience syndicating deals with no sponsor equity contribution.  If so I would appreciate your comments on how to go about structuring the deal to provide investors "peace of mind" even though you as the sponsor are contributing little to no capital.

I have syndicated about 10 deals in the past but have always contributed about 10% of the capital myself.   Wondering how to get into larger deals where I may not be in a liquid enough position to commit capital.

Thanks in Advance!

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Greenberg
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Camarillo, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Camarillo, CA
Replied Jun 2 2016, 10:30

@Account Closed I have done deals with none of my funds in. Very few of my investors ever asked and was clearly stated in the ppm. Investors invest because of trust in you regardless of having financial skin in the game.  Those that don't agree, don't invest with you. 

This is not to say I won't put money in, but it has not been a requirement. Certainly my funds are fully at risk up until the close.

User Stats

Votes
David Miller
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NC
Replied Jun 2 2016, 11:16

Ruben Guerrero I say well done to Jeff Greenberg for building enough trust with his investors and expertise to syndicate with no equity in the deal. That said, I find that arrangement to be the exception to the rule and in general a sponsor with no equity in the deal is a big red flag.

If you are short on capital, you might structure the deal such that any acquisition or management or other fees you receive as sponsor must be put toward your equity position. An investor might also be willing to loan you the capital which you can pay back over time with interest or perhaps through a preferred return via your waterfall.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Meyers
  • Investor
  • Fishers, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fishers, IN
Replied Jun 3 2016, 04:34

@Account Closed, but I will add a little twist:  When holding initial conversations with investors, this is usually the 3rd or 4th question asked - "How much skin in the game will you have Ruben?"   

My Recommendation is to State "I invest (have equity, put money...) into EVERY one of my deals".  Although I do my best to invest the same amount as my minimum ask, usually $50,000, that's not always feasible.  However, as Jeff Greenberg mentioned, it shouldn't be a requirement.  

If you disclose that so far you have already fronted the earnest $ (if applicable), paid for the initial attorney fees, PPM, etc., then it should not be a problem with your investors.  and if it is, well then this deal just isn't for them.  

I have ALWAYS had less than 50% of the minimum ask for my investors (again usually $50,000, so I've invested $25,000 or less) on each of my deals, and only once was it a problem.  And at the end of the day, I don't think I would have wanted this particular equity partner in the deal anyway!  

Besides, if you have done 10 in the past, and your Hero file/credibility site can show a solid track record of performance, I wouldn't waste another day asking Chuckleheads like us here on BP for our opinion.  

Surge ahead Ruben - this is the greatest land/property grab I have seen in the past 20 years, let's make hay while the sun is shining!  Oh, and gobs of $ for our investors who believe in and trust you that go along for the ride.  

Have a great weekend! 

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 4 2016, 09:58

Gentlemen, Thanks for your feedback thus far.  

Although I have already syndicated a number of deals the next deal I am looking to syndicate is around 3x the size of my average deal in the past.   My current investors trust me, and as @Jeff Greenberg, this is perhaps the most important aspect of any syndication.  However going forward I will need to tap into a new investor base, and my current liquidity is not enough to significantly contribute to deal.

@David Miller in the past I've never charged a acquisition or management fee for structuring a deal but I do like the idea of incorporating those fees going forward and putting them towards my equity position.  Out of curiosity, what are the typical acquisition and management fees being changed in today's environment?  

Borrowing the money is also not a bad idea.  Now that I think about it I can even splitting the fees with another partner that would be willing to front the sponsor equity.

Thanks again Gents!

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Jun 4 2016, 10:12

@Account Closed  I look at it two ways.. either the sponsor has skin or they have an on going profitable business with real tan gable net worth or assets that you can see.

if they don't have either of those and its truly their great idea and the investors money then that's a risk to the investor.. IE things go sideways the sponsor has no real liquidity to help the situation or worse has personal financial issues because of lack of liquidity.

these deals are ONLY as good as the sponsor most of the time... and its a royal cluster is the sponsor goes under for some reason and you have a bunch of limited partners or investors who don't know each other trying to figure out how to save the deal.

And putting all your liquidity into the deal and having no personal resesrves is not wise either ya you put skin in but what if you have a bump in the road.

User Stats

Votes
David Miller
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NC
Replied Jun 4 2016, 19:00

Ruben Guerrero depending on the investors and the deal size, i see acquisition fees between 0.5 to 1%. Management fees I see are often 0.5% or less (although I have seen a few where it is higher). Most of the syndications I work on are multifamily.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Franks
  • Rock Hill, SC
Votes |
  • Rock Hill, SC
Replied Jun 7 2016, 07:24
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

Gentlemen, Thanks for your feedback thus far.  

Although I have already syndicated a number of deals the next deal I am looking to syndicate is around 3x the size of my average deal in the past.   My current investors trust me, and as @Jeff Greenberg, this is perhaps the most important aspect of any syndication.  However going forward I will need to tap into a new investor base, and my current liquidity is not enough to significantly contribute to deal.

@David Miller in the past I've never charged a acquisition or management fee for structuring a deal but I do like the idea of incorporating those fees going forward and putting them towards my equity position.  Out of curiosity, what are the typical acquisition and management fees being changed in today's environment?  

Borrowing the money is also not a bad idea.  Now that I think about it I can even splitting the fees with another partner that would be willing to front the sponsor equity.

Thanks again Gents!

My two cents is you want to find out more information about syndications with Apartments these should be your go to guys. Promise not knocking any one else. I am pretty active here and in the turn key world and you start to know who some of the more active folks.

@Brian Adams

@Brian Burke

@Joe Fairless

Alex

User Stats

Votes
Brian Adams
  • Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings
  • Glen Mills, PA
Votes |
  • Glen Mills, PA
Replied Jun 7 2016, 08:28

@Alex Franks, I appreciate the mention.

I am similar to @Jeff Greenberg, I have put money into deals, but to date no investor has ever demanded it. 

Since I sponsor my own deals, the non-recourse lenders require that I have enough cash reserves available post close, so I need to keep my own cash liquid. Most investors I work with understand and get it.

@Account Closed, I am curious to know what kinda of deals you are working on where fees are so low? 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Greenberg
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Camarillo, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Camarillo, CA
Replied Jun 7 2016, 10:02

@David Miller I echo @Brian Adams question as to the size of deals that would take such a small fee.

First I am assuming that your reference to management you are talk about asset management not PM.  I can go along with that as I have not charged an asset management fee as of yet. As far as the acquisition fee being that low I feel that the service we provide is being under valued. If we don't find a deal, get it funded, and closed we don't get paid.  If offer a pref we may not get paid for a year or two. Unless we are closing a 20 mil deal, a .5% may not be worth the effort.

Transparency is the key.  If my investors are making money, they are happy that I am making money. That's what keeps me in business and them investing in multiple deals.

User Stats

Votes
Katie Neason
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bryan, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bryan, TX
Replied Jun 23 2016, 20:40

@Brian Adams is your 3% fee of the total cost?  I am working on a $3.7MM deal.  The acquisition cost is $375,000, construction cost $3,080,000, soft costs $137,000, Contingency $150,000 for a total cost of $3,742,000.  Would the 3% be of the $3.7MM number?  Do you collect it all at once (at closing or in phases).

How do you structure your returns? Do you typically offer a preferred return? If so what is the number? After it is achieved do you split 50% to a certain number etc?  I greatly appreciate any help and guidance you can give me in sponsoring a deal. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Jun 24 2016, 07:22

.5 a percent is low.

Investors can want what they want but a syndicator can also command what they want or they will not do the deal.

I transact as a commercial principal broker. If I am only getting .5 I will just stay transacting and get 3% commission all day long.

A lot of has to do with also what is the equity split on the back end for the syndicator? If it is not a value add or equity growth deal through development then after resale costs the yield to a syndicator tends to not be that much. That is when the asset management fees and everything else is usually put in to give a decent yield.

For instance development deals. You can get passive investors and you have no loan carry costs like with a construction loan but the equity cost return to investors on the back end is high. I have seen some mix it up with equity and debt so that the sponsor does not give too much away on the back side.

You have to get the sponsor and investors to come together on what is fair and equitable for both to feel like it is worth their time. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Greenberg
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Camarillo, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Camarillo, CA
Replied Jun 24 2016, 11:04

These deals should be win win without anyone feeling slighted.  Not every investor/deal/sponsor is a good fit.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Brian Adams
  • Glen Mills, PA
Votes |
  • Glen Mills, PA
Replied Jun 24 2016, 14:08

@Katie Neason, awesome on your deal.

I haven't ever developed a new asset so I hope I can be helpful.

My acquisitions have been on existing product and the 3% acquisition fee was calculated on only the purchase price.

Also all my deals do have a component of a preferred return. The magic number seems to be an 8% preferred return on operating cash flows. The splits and allocations thereafter will range based on your track record, experience, how "juicy" your deal is, risk, team, hold period, and other factors.

Good luck!!

User Stats

Votes
Katie Neason
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bryan, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bryan, TX
Replied Jun 24 2016, 14:53

@Brian Adams Thanks for the reply! That is helpful. My past couple of projects have been smaller and the fee wasn't that big of a number, but it gets pretty big as the deals grow in size. It probably makes sense on a rezoning, development, construction deal to split the fee with half a purchase and half at substantial completion. Devil is always in the details. I appreciate having a sounding board as I muddle my way through it. It there a 'magic" number on the total return/exit side (15% 18% 20%)?  I am trying to back into what my piece could look like.  I envision this project having a 5 to 7 year hold period. 18 months will be construction and lease up, season for a bit and do a cash out refi or a sale. Not sure if that information helps bring clarity to your answer or not. 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Adams
  • Glen Mills, PA
Votes |
  • Glen Mills, PA
Replied Jun 24 2016, 15:10

@Katie Neason, magic number on returns will vary greatly depending on so many factors. 

I don't want to leave you guessing, based on my experience and speaking with other operators, anything 15+ will get investors interested.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 29 2016, 08:05

Just wanted to follow up with you folks since things have escalated quite quickly on my end since I last posted.

A couple of weeks back I was speaking with a large investor of mine about a deal that I wanted to syndicate and could use his help with.  By the time I walked out of the meeting I had been sold by him on creating a managing an RE fund.  He's committing 50% of the capital and will syndicate the remaining allocation to complete the round.

Why the fund?  Well for my investor it makes more sense to invest in a blind pool with diversified assets than to evaluate each and every single deal.  Of course we agreed on a set of investment criteria that the fund will need to adhere to.  This is purely a preference of his and his friends.  Many of my other investors want to see each and every single deal and so this is not a suitable vehicle for them.    For me, this makes sense because I now have a committed pool of capital ready to be called when the right project comes along.   Not having to raise capital on a project by project basis will free up the team to chase more deals.  

Terms we agreed to (Thanks to those of the forum for the feedback!) 3% acquisition fee (which will be pledged as my equity), .05% management fee, 75%/25% split after the investors get their preferred return.   The fund covers all operational expenses (legal, compliance, audit, etc). 

In short, the fund structure is not exactly what I first sought out to establish but it is an intriguing alternative.  It will be challenging I am sure but in this business change is a constant and the path to growth is not always linear.    

Thanks again for all of your comments.   Hope to keep you guys posted on the progress on a separate thread more suited for topic.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Klein
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 29 2016, 10:49

@Account Closed

Congrats on finding an investor that is willing to help you with this structure. We do hotels and my partner has had a tough time with this as some just need to have a 15% equity contribution. For example, the returns for hotels are almost like 20%+ annually, but some investors are just not willing to even accept a 10% equity contribution as enough. So my partner has been searching still for investors that allow for a 10% equity contribution or less since he has to guaranty the loans and needs to show liquidity. So its actually pretty good that you achieved this. 

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Reimer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Jun 29 2016, 17:11

@Account Closed 
Congratulations on the change in direction. I think you have a lot of advantages to the blind pool. Happy to see a BPer out there hustling! Don't be hesitant to keep us all updated, I'm sure we would all like to follow your progression!