Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Rogers
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Typical Commission % for a renewal of a Commercial Lease???

Ryan Rogers
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Posted Feb 22 2016, 11:46

Hey All!

I'm about to get a lease renewed (hopefully) on a commercial property.  I have a commercial brokerage negotiating the lease for me.  I was just curious on what the standard % commission for a 5 Year lease would be?  I've seen numbers ranging from 6-3% upfront of the total yearly lease.

Thanks BP community!  Have a great day!

-Ryan

User Stats

Votes
Gino Barbaro
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • St Augustine, FL
Replied Feb 22 2016, 11:51

@Ryan Rogers

Hi Ryan

In my market, the standard fee is 6%.  It may be a bit high, but if they can find and sign me a tenant, then I am willing to pay.  I worked out and agreement with a broker that I would pay his fee split up into increments.  The lease was also five years and I did not want to lose out if the tenant bailed early.  I paid him a pretty sizable portion the first year, then some the third year and the final amount the fifth year.  I was only able to do this because I was already doing business with the broker.

Gino

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Rogers
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Feb 22 2016, 11:56
Originally posted by @Gino Barbaro:

@Ryan Rogers

Hi Ryan

In my market, the standard fee is 6%.  It may be a bit high, but if they can find and sign me a tenant, then I am willing to pay.  I worked out and agreement with a broker that I would pay his fee split up into increments.  The lease was also five years and I did not want to lose out if the tenant bailed early.  I paid him a pretty sizable portion the first year, then some the third year and the final amount the fifth year.  I was only able to do this because I was already doing business with the broker.

Gino

I like the spacing out of the upfront lump sum Gino!  Thanks for the advice!

Ryan

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Gino Barbaro
Pro Member
  • St Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • St Augustine, FL
Replied Feb 22 2016, 11:59

@Ryan Rogers

The problem is, I don't know if the brokers will like it.  It also depends on the quality of the tenant.  If the tenant is a huge company that won't ditch, it may be harder to convince broker.  Just tell him you are in for the long haul and you want to establish a relationship.

We have a broker on our team who was willing to take a note for part of his commission.  We paid him off when we refinanced the property.

The lesson is You never know unless you ask

Gino

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Telles
  • Investor
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Feb 22 2016, 13:50

As in so many areas of real estate typical doesn't typically apply. CRE lease commissions tend to vary depending on where the property is located across the nation. As you've mentioned they do tend to run the rates you quoted of 3-6% for the aggregate lease value of the lease for the first five year tiering downward for the next five, and then so on a so forth for extended lease terms.

You mention you're working on a lease renewal so immediately the question that comes into play is does the originating brokerage have claim to a renewal commission? 

The next question is why are you being represented by a brokerage on a lease renewal? If its because you're unfamiliar with CRE leases, I get it. However, the pure essence of having a broker involved means you're opening up a commitment to pay when you could have eliminated the need to pay any commission by representing yourself with an existing tenant.

Brokers typically earn their commission for the heavy lifting work of finding tenants or buyers and then getting them interested in certain property's, not necessarily for "transacting", assuming they are knowledgeable about the marketplace. 

Assuming the originating brokerage doesn't have a claim to a commission then my suggestion would be to use the mere fact you brought the two most important aspects of the transaction to the table, the tenant and the landlord, and you're willing to pay a commission (the tenant rep side and or landlord side) which is roughly half of a full commission typical for your marketplace. Then, try negotiate terms based on the premise you've made it easy for the broker to "transact", by bringing the parties to the negotiating table, and you want to pay the commission on terms amenable to both them and you.

If you get the 1/2 a commission part accepted I wouldn't push for terms. Pay the fee and move on. Here's why, the tenant already exists at the property which means the property owner has already accepted the tenants credit worthiness to lease the property (if you're a subsequent new owner you had a chance to review credit during your due diligence, if you didn't then that is on you). However, you can use the renegotiation process to get updated financial statements and then if financial condition has deteriorated since the originally lease use that information as a negotiating chip to throw on the table when the time is appropriate, assuming their financial condition is still acceptable.

Note: if you question whether a former brokerage has a claim to commissions (they do not necessarily have to be actively involved in a subsequent transaction to have such a claim) my suggestion would be to stop moving forward with lease extension negotiations until you're able to clarify who is owed what by whom and when. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Rogers
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Feb 22 2016, 14:34
Originally posted by @Christopher Telles:

As in so many areas of real estate typical doesn't typically apply. CRE lease commissions tend to vary depending on where the property is located across the nation. As you've mentioned they do tend to run the rates you quoted of 3-6% for the aggregate lease value of the lease for the first five year tiering downward for the next five, and then so on a so forth for extended lease terms.

You mention you're working on a lease renewal so immediately the question that comes into play is does the originating brokerage have claim to a renewal commission? 

The next question is why are you being represented by a brokerage on a lease renewal? If its because you're unfamiliar with CRE leases, I get it. However, the pure essence of having a broker involved means you're opening up a commitment to pay when you could have eliminated the need to pay any commission by representing yourself with an existing tenant.

Brokers typically earn their commission for the heavy lifting work of finding tenants or buyers and then getting them interested in certain property's, not necessarily for "transacting", assuming they are knowledgeable about the marketplace. 

Assuming the originating brokerage doesn't have a claim to a commission then my suggestion would be to use the mere fact you brought the two most important aspects of the transaction to the table, the tenant and the landlord, and you're willing to pay a commission (the tenant rep side and or landlord side) which is roughly half of a full commission typical for your marketplace. Then, try negotiate terms based on the premise you've made it easy for the broker to "transact", by bringing the parties to the negotiating table, and you want to pay the commission on terms amenable to both them and you.

If you get the 1/2 a commission part accepted I wouldn't push for terms. Pay the fee and move on. Here's why, the tenant already exists at the property which means the property owner has already accepted the tenants credit worthiness to lease the property (if you're a subsequent new owner you had a chance to review credit during your due diligence, if you didn't then that is on you). However, you can use the renegotiation process to get updated financial statements and then if financial condition has deteriorated since the originally lease use that information as a negotiating chip to throw on the table when the time is appropriate, assuming their financial condition is still acceptable.

Note: if you question whether a former brokerage has a claim to commissions (they do not necessarily have to be actively involved in a subsequent transaction to have such a claim) my suggestion would be to stop moving forward with lease extension negotiations until you're able to clarify who is owed what by whom and when. 

Thanks Chris!  I appreciate your thoughtful response!  It helped a lot! :)

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Feb 22 2016, 15:26

When agreeing to a lease you STRIKE OUT any leasing agent perpetuity clauses where they keep getting paid upon renewal.

If it's a national tenant that is premium it is okay to pay the leasing commissions at the time of occupancy. Leasing brokers will try to get it sooner but it's not great practice to do so.

If tenant is a franchisee or mom and pop then you want a tiered structure. You could be out a lot of money if the tenant goes out. You could try to decrease the number of years to 1 or 2 and then have rent increase in options where there is no leasing commission if you negotiated correctly.

Give free rent instead of heavy TI to a mom and pop tenant. I never agree to rent being paid in blocks of 3 to 5 years unless a national tenant. Mom and pop extract the increase every year. They could go out in year 3 and you never saw the rent increase if they pay in blocks etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Creason
  • Real Estate Lender and Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Lender and Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Feb 22 2016, 16:26

Ryan,

Are they renewing a lease on an existing tenant?  I would expect 6% for a new listing, but that is high for a renewal.  I would think 2.5% makes sense.  Typically, we would expect to get paid 1/2 at lease signing and 1/2 when lease takes force.

Mark

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Rogers
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Feb 22 2016, 16:29
Originally posted by @Mark Creason:

Ryan,

Are they renewing a lease on an existing tenant?  I would expect 6% for a new listing, but that is high for a renewal.  I would think 2.5% makes sense.  Typically, we would expect to get paid 1/2 at lease signing and 1/2 when lease takes force.

Mark

Love it Mark, that's the structure I went with.  Thanks! :)