Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
THIS is why your Realtor is Ignoring you-DATA says they Should!

• Real Estate Broker
Posted Sep 24 2021, 07:43

If you spend any measurable amount of time browsing the BP forums you have probably come across a thread or two that was started by a new investor who's having a heck of a time getting a Realtor to work with them in an out of state market. As you can see by my post count under my dashingly handsome headshot, I've been on BP for quite some time, and I can tell you that I have personally read 100's of these types of threads.

So the question is, why is this? Why is it so hard for an out of state investor to create a mutually beneficial relationship with a Realtor in an out of state market? Is it because Realtors are bad at their jobs? Or is it because out of state investors are bad clients?

The simple answer is YES to both questions.

Yes it's hard for out of state investors to work with Realtors because Realtors suck at their jobs.

AND

Yes it's hard for out of state investors to work with Realtors because out of state investors are horrible clients.

___

Now before all you out of state investors and Realtors start jumping down my throat, let me explain. Ya see this is not simply an opinion piece, I've got the data to back it up.

As for the Agents in the equation. Industry wide close to 9 out of 10 agents will leave the industry every single year. That's a nationwide statistic and it's been like that for decades. So if you are thinking it's the Agent's fault as to why investors and agents can't create a mutually beneficial relationship you'd be right about 90% of the time.

___

Why do so many agents leave the business?

The 1st thing we need to look at is money. Most out of state investors are looking at properties in the "turnkey" space and the price points are sub $100k. Often times way less than that when investors want to do BRRRR deals and things of that nature. So if you're an investor and you are looking at doing these deals and are trying to connect with a Realtor to do them you've got to understand that the Realtor is looking at a commission that's going to fall anywhere in the $500 to $2,500 range. Myself I've sold over $200 Million worth of this type of property to investors and I can say the commission of an investor focused Realtor is roughly $1,250 when you average it all together. Having done 1,000's of sales I've got a good amount of data to say that's a very fair estimate.

Now as an investor you may be thinking that's a good chunk of money because you are going to buy several properties from this agent. You are probably thinking you are a heck of catch because of all that residual income they will be getting because you are a big bad investor. Surely if an agent meets you they will be the 1 out of 10 who are making good money and staying in the business. Right?

No. Not at all. In fact, you're probably the type of client who's going to earn them an hourly rage far below minimum wage. Burger flippers are actually going to pull down a much higher dollar per hour than agents working with out of state investors.

Many of you know that I run a show called The MLS Search & Analysis Show. What this is, is how I work with investor buyers to help them buy rentals from the MLS. This is a paid show. You must pay me up front to work with me. I will not work with you as an agent unless you pay up front. The reason behind this is simply math. I would not make enough money working with you if I didn't. This is why the agents working with investors often fall into the 90% that quit the industry.

Prior to this show I was selling investment properties but knew that the pay rate was not sustainable without an up front fee. With the show being a numbered episodic show it's become very easy for me to track the data and really hammer down exactly how little money these agents are making when they work with you guys.

Here is what the data says.

Over the last 10 months or so I have been hired by investors to analyze properties for them and submit an offer on said property if they were interested in buying it after my analysis answered all of the questions investors ask on everyone of these properties. Basic stuff but basic stuff that takes up an agents time to get to you such as current rent, market rent, mechanical ages and things like that.

Over the last 10 months gone over about 1,100 properties for investors. In going over 1,100 properties for these investors it's resulted in roughly 95 sales. With an average commission of $1,250 we are looking at $118,750 in gross commission or an average commission per property looked at of $107.96.

Now how long does it take to look at / go over a property with an investor? An hour? Two hours? Three? Are you an investor who wants to fly into town and drive around all day? If yes, let's call it 4 hours between 

• Driving to the house
  • Touring the house
  • Having "coffee" to get to know one another
  • Writing the offer
  • Negotiating the offer terms with the seller
  • Setting up the appraisal
  • Setting up the inspection
  • Answering all the questions during escrow etc.
  • Post closing questions and follow up etc.

___

Effective Dollar Per Hour $26.99.

___

Of course agents have to advertise to bring in clients. If nobody knows who you are how can they work with you after all? They can't. Lead generation is the most important part to an agent's success. So let's reinvest 20% of that revenue into lead generation. 

___

New Effective Dollar Per Hour $21.60.

___

But wait, we aren't done yet. No, ya see most Agents working with low commission properties like this haven't sold $200 Million in real estate. Most agents working these super low commission deals are new agents who have yet to move onto the high cost suburbs with owner occupants. Most agents don't have a sophisticated TV show with 10 Million+ views. Most agents aren't working with buyer's who are so committed to buying that they have paid money up front, many of their hours are spent combing through all of the tire kicker's endless questions so most agents working with investors aren't closing sales at the rate I am. They are probably at best able to close their deals at a about a third of the rate I am.

___

New Effective Dollar Per Hour $7.20

___

But wait, there is more. These agents are not business owners, no they are working for a Broker so guess what, they've got to pay a commission split. Let's call that 20%

___

Final Effective Dollar Per Hour of an Investor Focused Agent is $5.76

___

So there you have it folks. If you are wondering why you are having such a tough time getting an agent to be excited about working with an investor no you know why. You represent a pay rate of $5.76 an hour to these people. With an effective dollar per hour pay rate of $5.76 is it a surprise that 90% of the agents talking to investors are terrible at their jobs? What quality human being is going to work for $5.76 an hour? Working with you as an investor isn't this magical carrot that all of these agents are chasing. Nope, not even close.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Sep 28 2021, 11:18
Originally posted by @Peter Tverdov:

I filter out a TON of people and am very picky with who I actually work with. Most buyer leads go to my other realtors now that I'm a broker. Sad to say I get 1 good lead for every 10 people who contact me on BP. The site is littered with tire kickers.

It's funny to me how you like to always get down on BP. 1 good lead out of every 10 is a 10% conversion rate. A whole lot of industries consider 3-5% to be a great conversion rate. Assuming you do any kind of business at all, and that you're in Jersey (my old stomping grounds), that's probably at least a few million dollars in value that you wouldn't have without BP. It seems to me it would be more productive to be thankful for the 10% conversion that comes directly from BP than complaining about the 90% of duds. If it isn't, then why spend any time marketing here at all? Wouldn't your time be better spent somewhere else with higher success rates? 

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Sep 28 2021, 11:19
Originally posted by @James Wise:
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

James talks until he is blue in face--hopefully people will take his advice.

james wise jay hinrichs russel brazil meme

LOL. That's great. I'm jealous I didn't make the cut! :P

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Sep 28 2021, 11:41
Originally posted by @JD Martin:

I filter out a TON of people and am very picky with who I actually work with. Most buyer leads go to my other realtors now that I'm a broker. Sad to say I get 1 good lead for every 10 people who contact me on BP. The site is littered with tire kickers.

It's funny to me how you like to always get down on BP. 1 good lead out of every 10 is a 10% conversion rate. A whole lot of industries consider 3-5% to be a great conversion rate. Assuming you do any kind of business at all, and that you're in Jersey (my old stomping grounds), that's probably at least a few million dollars in value that you wouldn't have without BP. It seems to me it would be more productive to be thankful for the 10% conversion that comes directly from BP than complaining about the 90% of duds. If it isn't, then why spend any time marketing here at all? Wouldn't your time be better spent somewhere else with higher success rates? 

Great points JD. I was supposed to be speaking at BPCon on the very subject of implementing the lead gen system I use with the BP website.  If one knows how to, as an agent or lender, you can make hundreds of thousands of dollars from the website.  I ended up pulling out of being a speaker at the conference due to business being so busy, I didnt have time to commit to putting together a quality presentation. Maybe next year I'll speak on the subject.  Id have to go through my data, but I bet 10-15% is somewhere in the range of my lead conversion from the site. The key is being able to identify quickly, which leads will not convert, so you are not spending time on those leads that do not convert. Conversely, you dont just want to blow them off either, because a year or two down the road, they might become more serious buyers/sellers/. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Sep 28 2021, 11:43

In general you're going to see a low conversion rate in any type of lead generating activity. BP, YouTube, FB, Direct Mail, Newspaper etc...Obviously your blind marketing like billboards and sporting even ads will have the lowest conversion rate. Your targeted marketing will be higher. I've found BP and YouTube to provide a very targeted audience with a reasonable conversion rate. But plowing through 1,000's of leads to get to actual clients is all part of the sales and marketing process.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Sep 28 2021, 11:56

Great points JD. I was supposed to be speaking at BPCon on the very subject of implementing the lead gen system I use with the BP website.  If one knows how to, as an agent or lender, you can make hundreds of thousands of dollars from the website.  I ended up pulling out of being a speaker at the conference due to business being so busy, I didnt have time to commit to putting together a quality presentation. Maybe next year I'll speak on the subject.  Id have to go through my data, but I bet 10-15% is somewhere in the range of my lead conversion from the site. The key is being able to identify quickly, which leads will not convert, so you are not spending time on those leads that do not convert. Conversely, you dont just want to blow them off either, because a year or two down the road, they might become more serious buyers/sellers/. 

"Conversely, you dont just want to blow them off either, because a year or two down the road, they might become more serious buyers/sellers/"

This is why I advocate for charging up front. I no longer tell people no. Nobody gets blown off by my company. The answer to every single person who asks if we can be their agent is "Yes this is the cost."

Not saying no just gives me the warm and fuzzies dude.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Tverdov
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Replied Sep 28 2021, 12:18
Originally posted by @Joe S.:

So you give the potential tire kickers to your rookies as a favor? 😂

Reading comprehension. You lack it. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Sep 28 2021, 12:28

This stable is always recruiting new members. Welcome to the BWO bro.

James Wise JD Martin Russell Brazil Jay Hinrichs

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Sep 29 2021, 07:57

This stable is always recruiting new members. Welcome to the BWO bro.

James Wise JD Martin Russell Brazil Jay Hinrichs

LOL. Awesome!

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Sep 29 2021, 10:22

@Michael Ablan @Jarrod Askin @William Beck @Russell Brazil @Chris Clothier @Dillon Cook @Joshua D. @Mike Dymski @Jay Hinrichs @Jim K. @JD Martin @Scott Mac @Wale Lawal @Joe Splitrock @Drew Sygit

I hope you all will join me for an expansion on this conversation. Because the very same folks who have trouble working with real estate agents have even more trouble working with general contractors.

HELP! I can't Find a Reputable Contractor to Rehab my House!

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Sep 29 2021, 10:23

@Dominick Galinis @Dominick Galinis @Steve Miklashevskiy @Hakeem Olajuwon @Mike Reynolds @Peter Tverdov @Manco Snead @Joe S. @Todd Rasmussen @Steve K. @Henry Lazerow

I hope you all will join me for an expansion on this conversation. Because the very same folks who have trouble working with real estate agents have even more trouble working with general contractors.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Lender
Replied Sep 29 2021, 10:32

@Dominick Galinis @Dominick Galinis @Steve Miklashevskiy @Hakeem Olajuwon @Mike Reynolds @Peter Tverdov @Manco Snead @Joe S. @Todd Rasmussen @Steve K. @Henry Lazerow

Realtors by and large are not going to steal your money or quite half way through your escrow and walk off with your deposit..   the contractor is by far the toughest one to nail down 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Miklashevskiy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Hillsdale, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Hillsdale, NJ
Replied Sep 29 2021, 10:40

@Jay Hinrichs the contractors are MUCH tougher to deal with than realtors

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Lender
Replied Sep 29 2021, 10:44
Originally posted by @Steve Miklashevskiy:

Yes they do especially for out of state.   they want to be paid before they start  ..  hard to control  quality always an issue.

leave half way through after spending your money    etc etc.. the real estate agent your not going to pay big money up front 

and if they stoop working you just get antoher one 

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Sep 29 2021, 11:18
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Steve Miklashevskiy:

Yes they do especially for out of state.   they want to be paid before they start  ..  hard to control  quality always an issue.

leave half way through after spending your money    etc etc.. the real estate agent your not going to pay big money up front 

and if they stoop working you just get antoher one 

Great insight fellas. I guess looking back at my post I didn't make it clear, but I was hoping we could take this party over to the other thread. I've got some data breakdowns in there that I think would make for great conversation on the topic of investors working with contractors.

Here is the new thread link - HELP! I can't Find a Reputable Contractor to Rehab my House!

User Stats

Votes
Jason G.
Pro Member
#5 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Oct 29 2021, 09:12

If you spend any measurable amount of time browsing the BP forums you have probably come across a thread or two that was started by a new investor who's having a heck of a time getting a Realtor to work with them in an out of state market. As you can see by my post count under my dashingly handsome headshot, I've been on BP for quite some time, and I can tell you that I have personally read 100's of these types of threads.

So the question is, why is this? Why is it so hard for an out of state investor to create a mutually beneficial relationship with a Realtor in an out of state market? Is it because Realtors are bad at their jobs? Or is it because out of state investors are bad clients?

Yes it's hard for out of state investors to work with Realtors because Realtors suck at their jobs.

AND

Yes it's hard for out of state investors to work with Realtors because out of state investors are horrible clients.

___

Now before all you out of state investors and Realtors start jumping down my throat, let me explain. Ya see this is not simply an opinion piece, I've got the data to back it up.

As for the Agents in the equation. Industry wide close to 9 out of 10 agents will leave the industry every single year. That's a nationwide statistic and it's been like that for decades. So if you are thinking it's the Agent's fault as to why investors and agents can't create a mutually beneficial relationship you'd be right about 90% of the time.

___

The 1st thing we need to look at is money. Most out of state investors are looking at properties in the "turnkey" space and the price points are sub $100k. Often times way less than that when investors want to do BRRRR deals and things of that nature. So if you're an investor and you are looking at doing these deals and are trying to connect with a Realtor to do them you've got to understand that the Realtor is looking at a commission that's going to fall anywhere in the $500 to $2,500 range. Myself I've sold over $200 Million worth of this type of property to investors and I can say the commission of an investor focused Realtor is roughly $1,250 when you average it all together. Having done 1,000's of sales I've got a good amount of data to say that's a very fair estimate.

Now as an investor you may be thinking that's a good chunk of money because you are going to buy several properties from this agent. You are probably thinking you are a heck of catch because of all that residual income they will be getting because you are a big bad investor. Surely if an agent meets you they will be the 1 out of 10 who are making good money and staying in the business. Right?

No. Not at all. In fact, you're probably the type of client who's going to earn them an hourly rage far below minimum wage. Burger flippers are actually going to pull down a much higher dollar per hour than agents working with out of state investors.

Many of you know that I run a show called The MLS Search & Analysis Show. What this is, is how I work with investor buyers to help them buy rentals from the MLS. This is a paid show. You must pay me up front to work with me. I will not work with you as an agent unless you pay up front. The reason behind this is simply math. I would not make enough money working with you if I didn't. This is why the agents working with investors often fall into the 90% that quit the industry.

Prior to this show I was selling investment properties but knew that the pay rate was not sustainable without an up front fee. With the show being a numbered episodic show it's become very easy for me to track the data and really hammer down exactly how little money these agents are making when they work with you guys.

Over the last 10 months or so I have been hired by investors to analyze properties for them and submit an offer on said property if they were interested in buying it after my analysis answered all of the questions investors ask on everyone of these properties. Basic stuff but basic stuff that takes up an agents time to get to you such as current rent, market rent, mechanical ages and things like that.

Over the last 10 months gone over about 1,100 properties for investors. In going over 1,100 properties for these investors it's resulted in roughly 95 sales. With an average commission of $1,250 we are looking at $118,750 in gross commission or an average commission per property looked at of $107.96.

Now how long does it take to look at / go over a property with an investor? An hour? Two hours? Three? Are you an investor who wants to fly into town and drive around all day? If yes, let's call it 4 hours between 

• Driving to the house
  • Touring the house
  • Writing the offer

___

___

Of course agents have to advertise to bring in clients. If nobody knows who you are how can they work with you after all? They can't. Lead generation is the most important part to an agent's success. So let's reinvest 20% of that revenue into lead generation. 

___

___

But wait, we aren't done yet. No, ya see most Agents working with low commission properties like this haven't sold $200 Million in real estate. Most agents working these super low commission deals are new agents who have yet to move onto the high cost suburbs with owner occupants. Most agents don't have a sophisticated TV show with 10 Million+ views. Most agents aren't working with buyer's who are so committed to buying that they have paid money up front, many of their hours are spent combing through all of the tire kicker's endless questions so most agents working with investors aren't closing sales at the rate I am. They are probably at best able to close their deals at a about a third of the rate I am.

___

___

But wait, there is more. These agents are not business owners, no they are working for a Broker so guess what, they've got to pay a commission split. Let's call that 20%

___

___

So there you have it folks. If you are wondering why you are having such a tough time getting an agent to be excited about working with an investor no you know why. You represent a pay rate of $5.76 an hour to these people. With an effective dollar per hour pay rate of $5.76 is it a surprise that 90% of the agents talking to investors are terrible at their jobs? What quality human being is going to work for $5.76 an hour? Working with you as an investor isn't this magical carrot that all of these agents are chasing. Nope, not even close.

Thank you James for pointing me to this thread.  It has been very eye opening and informative.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Oct 29 2021, 09:45
Originally posted by @Jason G.:

AND

___

___

• Driving to the house
  • Touring the house
  • Writing the offer

___

___

___

___

___

___

___

___

Thank you James for pointing me to this thread.  It has been very eye opening and informative.

No problem. We'll pick this convo back up in the original Roofstock thread that brought your attention to this thread.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Adams
  • Port Chester, NY
Votes |
  • Port Chester, NY
Replied Oct 29 2021, 10:23

I recommend that anyone who's serious in becoming a real estate investor is to get licensed and learn the ropes. Most agents, I find, aren't very good at their job.