Why do I need title search before buying from mortgage auction?

Why do I need title search before buying from mortgage auction?

Member since 2020 · 31 posts · 10 votes

I've read that title search is a must before buying a property from a mortgage auction. I've also read that existing liens and any second mortgage are wiped following the first mortgage foreclosure, so why do I still have to conduct title search? 

I assume that the first mortgagee made sure title was good (since title insurance was a requirement) before granting the loan. So, what's there to look for? If it matters, this is for Pennsylvania.

Your insight is much appreciated, thanks!

0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · IN · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Hello,

    I'm an Indiana attorney, so I can only speak as to Indiana.  But in Indiana, Sheriff sales are buyer beware.  If there is a defect with the foreclosure or title, which could be any number of things, but as an example if a lienholder was not named in the foreclosure, then their lien can survive the Sheriff sale.  In Indiana, title insurance is not a requirement to conduct a foreclosure and take a property to Sheriff sale.

    Thanks,

    Jason Duhn

    Indiana Attorney

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jennifer T.:

    I've read that title search is a must before buying a property from a mortgage auction. I've also read that existing liens and any second mortgage are wiped following the first mortgage foreclosure, so why do I still have to conduct title search? 

    I assume that the first mortgagee made sure title was good (since title insurance was a requirement) before granting the loan. So, what's there to look for? If it matters, this is for Pennsylvania.

    Your insight is much appreciated, thanks!

    Because there are a number of liens which survive foreclosure, such as but not limited to:  unpaid utilities, code enforcement liens, civil judgements, tax liens, etc.  You also want to ensure it is indeed a 1st lien foreclosing, and that there was never any subordination agreement bumping said lien out of position.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.