Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jalon Scott
  • Investor
  • London, England
Votes |
Looking to invest in the Indianapolis Market

Jalon Scott
  • Investor
  • London, England
Posted Feb 21 2021, 10:32

I've been battling Analysis Paralysis for about a year now. I've made several offers, created an LLC, worked with agents, lenders, hired a coach, etc. However, I still have yet to step or and get a property. I feel like my analysis paralysis is keeping me in a cage.

What are some strategies that you used, or saw someone else use to get them out of that analysis paralysis stage? Any insight you provide is greatly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Polston
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Shelbyville, IN
Votes |
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Shelbyville, IN
Replied Feb 21 2021, 12:04

@Jalon Scott for what it is worth I have seen some do a mediocre deal, low exposure to risk, for the sake of getting their feet wet. It can be an "OK" decision if it is single family, under 95k in cost, near the 1% rule, rent ready, and grab a warranty while you're at it. Rent ready, also, could mean just lacking a few cosmetics.

Don't go MLS. Look for someone who can offer off market deals with no pressure. It used to be easy to tie up a deal from a wholesaler, but now they even have H & B.

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jalon Scott
  • Investor
  • London, England
Votes |
  • Investor
  • London, England
Replied Feb 21 2021, 12:18

@Justin Polston Thank you for taking the time to respond! Your advice is noted. This may serve as a good way to jump in the "shallow end", so to speak, before tackling larger projects.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Polston
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Shelbyville, IN
Votes |
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Shelbyville, IN
Replied Feb 21 2021, 12:27

@Jalon Scott a lot of people put RE on a pedestal. Once you have your own personal real world experience, it makes judging and contemplating that much easier. Especially if you are long term buy and hold, obviously you'll get your money's worth if you plan on holding for 20 years and continue to grow.

User Stats

Votes
Nick Giulioni
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Carmel, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Carmel, IN
Replied Feb 21 2021, 13:28

Start making offers.  Jump! 

Hit me up if I can help!

User Stats

Votes
Cathryn Sta
  • Investor
  • San Francisco
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco
Replied Feb 21 2021, 18:40

@Jalon Scott I was where you are for at least two years and then finally took the plunge. I opted to have a goal of not losing money and not creating a headache for myself while using the purchase as a learning opportunity. I bought a place in Perry Township for <$150k that already had tenants. I got a good property manager, and I kept a nest egg that would have allowed me to have the place vacant for quite some time if worst came to worst. I haven’t had to worry about it at all (2.5 years). I just bought my second house in a red hot market (Boise) and now feel completely confident. The first one was ridiculously difficult, the second one was a breeze.

User Stats

Votes
Griffin Schermer
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Bloomington, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Bloomington, IN
Replied Feb 21 2021, 18:58

My partner and I were stuck in the analysis paralysis stage for a year before we pulled the trigger on anything. We had to create a criteria sheet for "our perfect property." After we did we realized trying to find the "perfect deal" was nearly impossible. So, we scaled that criteria sheet back and set a deadline to purchase a property. Then we did it! It was amazing to us how much more we learned once we bought that first deal. 

I'd suggest taking on a partner and/or going after a smaller deal to get your feet wet and keep learning. Every deal you do will only build your confidence and the first is the toughest. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Smith
Pro Member
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 22 2021, 08:58

Hey Jalon,

Don"t beat yourself up for taking a little extra time to jump into the game. There is obviously a limit to how long you should take, but you should also celebrate the victories that you have made. Making offers, reaching out on this forum and hiring a coach are all examples of moving in the right direction. I have been buying rental property, building new construction and flipping homes in Indianapolis for almost 10 years. I have made some mistakes, lost some money and had significant victories. What you are doing is all part of the learning process. As I mentioned earlier, there is a limit before you need to make your move but it sounds to me that you are not stagnant. 

Feel free to reach out. I am happy to help you with connections and networking. I would be glad to help guide you in whatever direction gets you to your first purchase.

Mitch

User Stats

Votes
John Rankin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Feb 24 2021, 01:15

Hey Jalon I know how you feel. I started investing in Indy last year and it took me a while to get over the "fear." Ultimately it was analyzing deals every day that helped me build the confidence to have a good feel for what a solid investment looks like. But to be honest, I did have to lower my criteria a bit especially in a hot market like today because I was only looking for home runs and was realizing I was having a hard time locking down deals that met all of my criteria. Home runs are great but singles and doubles are pretty good too! Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Mar 3 2021, 20:11

@Jalon Scott analysis paralysis is usually caused by fear of the unknown and uncertainty. The best way to overcome that is to clearly and explicitly define your criteria. By doing so, you'll be much better prepared to identify a good deal when you see one and be more comfortable moving forward.