No improvement 100k appreciation in 2 years!?! Booming area.

No improvement 100k appreciation in 2 years!?! Booming area.

Member since 2021 · 30 posts · 15 votes

I am located in southern Utah where we have been seeing a huge migration of homeowners from California as are other areas. I would like to start a discussion around areas seeing this big boom and the unreal appreciation of homes because of demand and the extra money outside buyers bring.  

What I am curious about is what other areas are seeing this and how has it affected the community and what were or are the end results?

As an example 6 years ago I bought my first investment home for 128k which was a little high for the condition of the home but it was what I could get worked out. 3 years ago it was appraised for a refi at 210k not a huge jump, but now in the past year and a half the appreciation has gone up roughly another 100k where houses are now so hard to come by you almost have to have 30k more than asking price and cash to close a deal. 

As an investor this is killing the cash flow for future potential investments and would love to hear from others what some options may be.

0Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    While some of what you are experiencing may be due to in-migration, prices shot up everywhere.   When COVID hit, many people decided to stay put.  For those that were moving, there wasn't a lot of inventory to buy.  Also, interest rates were cut significantly.  We sold 4 single family properties last year.  Each one of them sold for significantly higher than what we valued them at the year before.  If you are in a spot where people are moving, it creates a perfect storm.

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Oh wow! I am a new investor in the real estates and Utah was actually a state I was looking into as well in the coming years, what areas of Utah would you recommend for starters?

  • Realtor · Herriman, UT · Member since 2021 · 28 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Jerrylyne Isaac. We live in Salt Lake and are looking out of state to invest because it’s so expensive here.  If you want “small” deals and don’t mind rehab, you can look into areas like Price or Vernal.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.