Purchasing and Funding Rehab on Primary Residence

Purchasing and Funding Rehab on Primary Residence

Rental Property Investor · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes

Looking for some advice on finding some rehab on a primary residence I am looking to purchase.

Curious to hear folks thoughts on structuring a deal to purchase my primary residence and get funding for rehab work.

Scenario is that I am looking to purchase a SF home that needs some work, say 10% of the purchase price, for updates like new flooring/kitchen and bathroom rehab/landscaping/bathroom remodels. All of these should force appreciation and add value. What my initial thought was do a conventional loan to purchase the property, utilize hard money to get the work done and then refinance out to pay the hard money off. Once completed the home shouldn’t have an issue appraising for what it needs do given its red hot. Also looking to buy the home off market.

I have rental properties with equity but do not want to use those funds.

Are there specific challenges regarding using hard money on a primary?

Curious to hear others thoughts.

Thank you -

1Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Stephanie P.Pro Member
Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

@Frank Kosiba

The Home Style Renovation loan would probably work for that scenario.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 248 votes
    5y

    Hi @Frank Kosiba, great question! Hard money lenders will generally NOT give you a loan if it's for your primary residence. They usually only give loans for business purposes only. Hard money lenders are also not fans of coming in second position, so if you finance through a conventional lender, the HML will not just give you a loan for the construction. I hope this helps!

  • Rental Property Investor · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Sean Pan This is helpful and I had an idea this might be the case. That being said, what options would I have to fund a purchase and rehab on my primary? As mentioned I have funds available to do this but would prefer to preserve those for adjacent real estate investments.

  • Lender · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 248 votes
    5y

    @Frank Kosiba there are construction loan programs out there. I haven't used them personally, but one of my friends used this to remodel his house in Inglewood after he purchased it. I believe it was called the 203(k) loan. Since I haven't used it personally, I can't really say much about it, but you can look it up and see if it's the right program for you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Sean Pan Thank you - I’ll look into these and see if they may be a fit. Appreciate your insights!

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Frank Kosiba

    The Home Style Renovation loan would probably work for that scenario.

  • Matthew PorcaroBusiness Member
    Lender · Long Island, NY · Member since 2016 · 456 posts · 336 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Frank Kosiba:

    @Sean Pan This is helpful and I had an idea this might be the case. That being said, what options would I have to fund a purchase and rehab on my primary? As mentioned I have funds available to do this but would prefer to preserve those for adjacent real estate investments.

    Homestyle would most likely be your best bet for a SFR live-in flip.

    The 203k Way
  • Rental Property Investor · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Porcaro Thanks Matthew. I plan to research this product to see jf it will be a fit for me. Appreciate the note.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.