First them investor seeking advice on deal

First them investor seeking advice on deal

Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Im in austin Texas and the market here is BOOMING. It’s definitely a sellers market. There are maybe 1000 properties for sale and a crazy amount more of buyers. I (somehow) found a duplex in a fast-developing neighborhood, listed for $395k. I do feel like this will be the last time it’s this affordable 😅 as properties are moving lightening speed. Seller wants me to execute a contract to even see the place. Fine by me...but I did comparisons in the area and there were two extremely comparable properties (one was even two doors down) both listed for the same yet sold for about $360k. With that being said I offered $365k and the agent will be reviewing best and final offers by tomorrow evening. There’s one other offer in hand for them. Agent made it clear he “didn’t need to sell this house” and would likely be going with the offer closest to selling price. I know he’s probably just using sales tactics but I don’t want to lose the property either. But, considering the comparisons sold for $360k recently, I’m terrified of offering $375k then being on the hook for the difference if the appraisal comes in as much less. I’m a first time buyer and have saved every cent to buy a place so I don’t have room for error or a ton of unexpected fees 

so I’m wondering if anyone would be willing to help me analyze this deal. It’s listed at $395k and I want to offer max $370. Duplex with two smaller 1b1ba. I’d put down 5%. Total rents generated $2500 (I would owner occupy for one year). Insurance $6k/yr, flood insurance $700/yr. I did use a calculator but still looking for opinions! 

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 253 posts · 240 votes
5y

Are you buying this with no inspection or appraisal contingency? If your numbers still work at 375k or even 390k, why does it matter that the duplex a couple of doors down sold for 360k? How long ago was it sold? In a hot market I wouldn't really expect to get a good deal (numbers wise) far below asking due to the lack of inventory and abundance of buyers.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 253 posts · 240 votes
    5y

    Are you buying this with no inspection or appraisal contingency? If your numbers still work at 375k or even 390k, why does it matter that the duplex a couple of doors down sold for 360k? How long ago was it sold? In a hot market I wouldn't really expect to get a good deal (numbers wise) far below asking due to the lack of inventory and abundance of buyers.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Duane Alexander they won’t let me see it or go in for inspection without executing a contract and putting in earnest money. From there I have 7 days to inspect and see the place before offer is officially in but in those days I can withdraw offer and get earnest money back if something goes wrong with the inspection. The comparable properties sold quite recently for $360- so my concern is I offer closer to asking price and get the place but it’s then appraised for much lower and I’m now on the hook for the difference. I’m a first time investor who’s saved every penny to buy so I don’t have room for a $20k difference if I offer close to $395k and it appraises closer to $360k

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 253 posts · 240 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jenny Letto:

    @Duane Alexander they won’t let me see it or go in for inspection without executing a contract and putting in earnest money. From there I have 7 days to inspect and see the place before offer is officially in but in those days I can withdraw offer and get earnest money back if something goes wrong with the inspection. The comparable properties sold quite recently for $360- so my concern is I offer closer to asking price and get the place but it’s then appraised for much lower and I’m now on the hook for the difference. I’m a first time investor who’s saved every penny to buy so I don’t have room for a $20k difference if I offer close to $395k and it appraises closer to $360k

    Can you add an appraisal contingency to your offer? 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Jenny Letto your Realtor will help you add in the right contingencies! Ask them for help!

  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Jenny Letto You should ask this question to your lender as he could answer this question about appraisal. Also your offer should have appraisal contigency . lets say you are offering 390k and bank thinks its only worth of 340k you need to pay 50k from your pocket to buy house. To save you from this situation ,  you need to have appraisal contigency so you can back out from the offer. Housing market is crazy but buying with higher price removes the benefit of low interest rates. Wait for second quarter I guess with more stimulus inflation will go up so interest rates. 

    Jordan

  • New to Real Estate · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 33 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    @Jenny Letto

    As eager as you are to get in the game now, I'd just caution you to consider what the US and even Austin TX will be like let's say a year from now. Many mortgagees will be in foreclosure, leading to a slow drip of inventory back in the market, which will then drive rent prices lower. So while the numbers might work for your property for the recent job boom in Austin, you got to think long term. You may be in this particular property with too much equity and have the potential to have to lower rent such that you can't make a profit. Then your stuck doing a bunch a work for an expensive property that doesn't net you much. I know that's a big scary thing to say but I would just urge you to think a few years down the road given that it will be a tough ride for REI investors coming out of the aftermath of covid.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Paul Gomez what crystal ball do you have? We've bought 9 houses in the last month and want more!

  • Real Estate Agent · Menomonee Falls, WI · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    Ask your Realtor for help on this one! There are protections for you as the buyer built into the offer. Inspection and appraisal and financing to name a few! Don't buy blind!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.