• Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Houston vs. North Carolina

Norb Schneider
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jan 5 2021, 08:17

Hello BP,

I am a new investor looking for general information on the SFH (3/2) market in each city. I am a buy and hold investor thus, appreciation is not that big of a goal. I am strictly looking for cash flow. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

NS

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jan 5 2021, 15:41

You did not give us a lot of information for any experienced investor to better help.

Well, I primarily invest in Houston Texas and I can tell you Houston is great for both cash flow and appreciation.

This file https://drive.google.com/file/... gave you few reasons why savvy investors invest in Houston, Texas.

Goodluck.

User Stats

Votes
Norb Schneider
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 5 2021, 22:23

@Wale Lawal

Thank you for your response. I apologize to you and everyone else who had the unfortunate experience of reading my initial post. The city of North Carolina!?!?!?

Let me elaborate on my current position. I am an OOS investor looking at the surrounding areas of Houston such as Sugarland, Cinco Ranch and The Woodlands to name a few. I would like to know more about the neighborhoods to avoid, as well as which neighborhoods would be a good fit for my goals. Last and most important I am interested in the steps to get/secure "boots on the ground"?

Thank you once again!

NS

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jan 6 2021, 10:59
Originally posted by @Norb Schneider:

@Wale Lawal

Thank you for your response. I apologize to you and everyone else who had the unfortunate experience of reading my initial post. The city of North Carolina!?!?!?

Let me elaborate on my current position. I am an OOS investor looking at the surrounding areas of Houston such as Sugarland, Cinco Ranch and The Woodlands to name a few. I would like to know more about the neighborhoods to avoid, as well as which neighborhoods would be a good fit for my goals. Last and most important I am interested in the steps to get/secure "boots on the ground"?

Thank you once again!

NS

Those neighborhood you mentioned are very great but very expensive as well.

I will suggest you look at Spring (10mins to The Woodland), Humble, Atascocita, Cypress, Katy, some part of Houston, Willis and Beaumont. These are few I can think of right now.  

I can be your boots on the ground as an Investor-Agent and Investor myself. 

You may connect with me if you will like to take this discussion offline.

Goodluck. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Leavitt
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • houston, TX
Replied Jan 7 2021, 14:14

Hey Norb, I'm not familiar with N.C. so I can't offer much of a comparison. I'll be boots-on-the-ground next week in Houston in preparation for moving and investing there, so I'm love to connect! One thing to keep in mind about TX is the higher property taxes, more than double what I'm paying on my triplex in TN. Definitely eats into cashflow.

@Wale Lawal, I'd love to see the google doc you linked to, but it says it's "in the owners trash." Could you re-share a link that's recent? Also, what are your thoughts of the markets west of Houston, like Piney Point or Mission Bend?

User Stats

Votes
Norb Schneider
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 7 2021, 14:41

@Paul Leavitt Thanks for your response and input. Please let me know if you will be in the north Houston area. Getting a "feel" for the city/area is very important. We can definitely connect to discuss more. After signing up for the pro account yesterday, I've been wearing out the rental property calculator and analyzing properties all over. I'm not opposed to Memphis or Nashville. Any info you can add is always greatly appreciated.

@Wale Lawal Thank you for you guidance as well. It was good to "see" you on the BP webinar yesterday.

Best,

NS

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jan 8 2021, 04:50
Originally posted by @Norb Schneider:

@Paul Leavitt Thanks for your response and input. Please let me know if you will be in the north Houston area. Getting a "feel" for the city/area is very important. We can definitely connect to discuss more. After signing up for the pro account yesterday, I've been wearing out the rental property calculator and analyzing properties all over. I'm not opposed to Memphis or Nashville. Any info you can add is always greatly appreciated.

@Wale Lawal Thank you for you guidance as well. It was good to "see" you on the BP webinar yesterday.

Best,

NS

It was great to see you on the Webinar as well. Hope you are staying on track with your 2021 goals?

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jan 8 2021, 04:57
Originally posted by @Paul Leavitt:

Hey Norb, I'm not familiar with N.C. so I can't offer much of a comparison. I'll be boots-on-the-ground next week in Houston in preparation for moving and investing there, so I'm love to connect! One thing to keep in mind about TX is the higher property taxes, more than double what I'm paying on my triplex in TN. Definitely eats into cashflow.

@Wale Lawal, I'd love to see the google doc you linked to, but it says it's "in the owners trash." Could you re-share a link that's recent? Also, what are your thoughts of the markets west of Houston, like Piney Point or Mission Bend?

Here is the link to the folder: https://drive.google.com/file/...

Mission bend and Piney Point are great part of Greater Houston to own investment property, you just have to analyze individual property and make sure the numbers works for what you are trying to achieve.

According to Wikipedia, 

"Piney Point Village is the wealthiest place in Texas, as ranked by per capita income. It is part of a collection of upscale residential communities in west Houston known as the Memorial Villages"

You can use this website to understand neighborhoods https://www.niche.com/

Goodluck my man!

User Stats

Votes
Norb Schneider
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 8 2021, 12:03

Thanks Wale,

I've been on niche, its great.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Leavitt
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • houston, TX
Replied Jan 8 2021, 13:43

Thanks for the links @Wale Lawal! I'll definitely check out Niche, looks like a helpful website!

User Stats

Votes
Paul Leavitt
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • houston, TX
Replied Jan 8 2021, 13:45

@Norb Schneider, I think I'll end up in West or North West Houston, but until I'm there who knows! Let's definitely connect.

As for other markets, I own a Triplex in Chattanooga, TN, and it's a pretty strong market (albeit on the smaller side). I could connect you with a realtor and PM that are solid in the area if you want to explore that market as well.

User Stats

Votes
Norb Schneider
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 8 2021, 13:49

@Paul Leavitt Thanks Paul, im browsing the Memphis market and possibly Franklin near Nashville. Any advise?

Always, appreciate your time and advice.

NS

User Stats

Votes
Paul Leavitt
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • houston, TX
Replied Jan 8 2021, 14:35

@Norb Schneider Not very familiar with those markets, but I've been through Franklin a few times and it seems like a vibrant place (attended a film festival in town). I know a few people who've moved there recently, seems like a popular suburb of Nash.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon DeVega
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Replied Jan 8 2021, 18:44

I am an agent in New York City, but I definitely think we should connect. Depending on how much your looking to spend, I think you can definitely make some great investments here in New York @Norb Schneider

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Rolf
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Katy TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Katy TX
Replied Jan 8 2021, 19:36

@Paul Leavitt Piney Point Village and Mission Bend are VERY different neighborhoods.  Piney Point is Californiaish prices, Mission Bend is a very middle class Houston neighborhood.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Leavitt
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • houston, TX
Replied Jan 8 2021, 20:10

@Matthew Rolf oh! Well I definitely don’t want a CA type neighborhood. Moving to TX to get away form that kinda stuff. 😄

User Stats

Votes
Brad Fisher
  • Investor
  • Springfield, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Springfield, VA
Replied Jan 9 2021, 04:58

@Paul Leavitt  I am exploring the Chattanooga area as well.   If you have some folks you think might be helpful to talk to, please DM me.  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Holst
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jan 9 2021, 06:42

@Brad Fisher you won't regret learning about the Chattanooga area

Old Fashioned Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Samara Huntley
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 9 2021, 08:12

Hey!

I’m a Charlotte native, agent and local investor.

I may be biased, but I love what the Charlotte market has to offer with great appreciation, good cash flow, high population/job growth, being a landlord friendly state, low taxes etc. etc.

Also, many sub markets of Charlotte like Gastonia, Concord, Kannapolis can hit the 1% rule.

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions about the Charlotte market. Happy to help.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Leavitt
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • houston, TX
Replied Jan 12 2021, 17:04
Originally posted by @Jeffrey Holst:

@Brad Fisher you won't regret learning about the Chattanooga area

I second @Jeffrey Holst, and if Chatty catches your fancy you 100% should reach out to him. Solid dude who's active in the area. 👍🏻