Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eric Konitski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
How remote closings work

Eric Konitski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rockford, IL
Posted Dec 31 2020, 16:11

Hello I’m looking to get into the disposition side of real estate. I’m wondering if I have to have a remote closing how does the process work? Does title just send everyone their necessary paperwork? Also what kind of information might I need from the buyer and seller

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 31 2020, 16:26

I just did one remote closing myself. The title company get everything ready. They will send all paperwork to a certified notary personnel and will meet with you to sign. Then the paperwork will be notarized and fedex'ed back to title company to have sellers to sign. You will receive an executed contract after that.  i asked the title company to send me a copy earlier so i can review it beforehand and have any questions answered before I meet with the notary person. Good luck! Nina

User Stats

Votes
Charlie MacPherson
  • China, ME
Votes |
  • China, ME
Replied Jan 1 2021, 10:23

@Eric Konitski  That's going to vary by state.  In the two states where I was licensed (Mass and Maine), the only ways to close was by a "wet" in-person signature (non-electronic) or by a power of attorney.

I was also a Notary Public in Massachusetts.  We were not allowed to conduct closings, though other states allow it.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Eric Konitski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Jan 1 2021, 16:39

@Nina Ning thank you

User Stats

Votes
Eric Konitski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Jan 1 2021, 16:39

@Charlie MacPherson thank you

User Stats

Votes
Nick G.
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Jan 1 2021, 20:01

I’ve done remote closing selling a property, I provided power of attorney to the lawyers office doing the closing, reviewed the closing statement prior and gave the green light to close.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Jan 1 2021, 20:15
Originally posted by @Charlie MacPherson:

@Eric Konitski  That's going to vary by state.  In the two states where I was licensed (Mass and Maine), the only ways to close was by a "wet" in-person signature (non-electronic) or by a power of attorney.

I was also a Notary Public in Massachusetts.  We were not allowed to conduct closings, though other states allow it.

wow I do all my closings as mail aways.. so in your state , what you have to give the closing attorney  your power of attorney to sign for you as the seller buyer ??  

User Stats

Votes
Charlie MacPherson
  • China, ME
Votes |
  • China, ME
Replied Jan 2 2021, 03:21

@Jay Hinrichs  Yes - that's how I closed when we moved from Massachusetts to Maine last year.  

While we were driving north along with the moving truck, our attorney (with PoA) did our closing and wired the funds to the title company in Maine.

Even if a mail closing was allowed, it wouldn't work well for someone who was doing a back-to-back closing on a primary residence.  It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would likely mean a couple of nights in a hotel while waiting for mail or FedEx to get docs where they need to be.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Jan 2 2021, 06:11
Originally posted by @Charlie MacPherson:

@Jay Hinrichs  Yes - that's how I closed when we moved from Massachusetts to Maine last year.  

While we were driving north along with the moving truck, our attorney (with PoA) did our closing and wired the funds to the title company in Maine.

Even if a mail closing was allowed, it wouldn't work well for someone who was doing a back-to-back closing on a primary residence.  It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would likely mean a couple of nights in a hotel while waiting for mail or FedEx to get docs where they need to be.

well docs can get sent out 3 to 5 days before the actual closing date we do this all the time.. so thats not an issue.. 

and now a days many states you don't even need the originals on cash purchases  scanned copies work  for the buyer we do this often in mid west and southern states..  In Oregon here I sign my deeds way in advance of closing  so I only need docusign from the title company when its ready to close.. ( again on the sellers side)