For long-term investing, is cashflow or appreciation better?

For long-term investing, is cashflow or appreciation better?

Member since 2019 · 219 posts · 99 votes

I'm not sure of what my opinion is on this, and would like to see what others think on the matter.

Here on BP, the mass majority of advice and articles are focused on cashflow. I see the obvious benefits of cashflow, which are the following:

  • 1) Safer in the case of a downturn. Even if property values tank, people still need a place to rent and rents may even go up.
  • 2) You can easily access the returns from cashflow, and potentially live off of cashflow passively.
  • 3) Since cashflow returns are immediate, you can reinvest those returns quickly as opposed to value locked away in equity.
  • 4) Cashflow properties are often cheaper, meaning a lower barrier for entry.
  • 5) You don't have to worry about buying at the wrong time, as you are profiting immediately.
  • 6) Predictable. You don't know for sure whether a market will appreciate or not, but you can see pretty clearly what will cashflow.

On the flipside, the benefits for appreciation:

  • 1) Higher property values, meaning you can invest more $ with less properties acquired, less time spent buying/managing/maintaining.
  • 2) Maintenance costs, and sometimes taxes, are proportionally lower in a more expensive house. 10 new roofs on a $40k house will cost a lot more than 1 roof on a $400k house.
  • 3) Loans are easier to get and better interest rate. Most banks won't even consider a $40k property, and the few that will charge higher rates or huge origination fees. You can invest more $ into real estate before hitting your 10 conventional loan limit.
  • 4) Tend to be in more desirable areas, meaning lower chances for bad tenants. Also higher chances for rent/ property value growth in the future. Most appreciation markets tend to be in areas with positive growth, whereas many cashflow markets are depressed and losing population and jobs.
  • 5) Though you may not cash flow immediately, after held for long enough it likely will, and will possibly even surpass an equal value of cashflow from cashflow properties.

I think that both make sense for different reasons, with cashflow markets being better for those who are just getting started, and those who want to aggressively scale up using the cashflow from previous properties to buy new ones. Appreciation markets seem like they would favor a more passive investor who can afford to buy and sit back for a decade or two, using the investment as a supplement to their primary income. 

I currently own property in a cashflow market, and am looking at picking up some properties in a mixed market before potentially moving into appreciation. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this complex topic.

4Reply
112 views

Most Popular Reply

Joseph CacciapagliaBusiness Member
Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

The real key to this analysis is your #5 under the appreciation benefits. I think the biggest benefit in most "appreciation" markets is that they tend to also have strong rent growth. I've looked at several "cash flow" versus "appreciation" scenarios over long periods of time, and in many cases the appreciation markets create more cash flow during holding periods longer than 5 years. I believe that anyone that plans to hold properties for the long term would be better off focusing on rent growth and appreciation than they would on year 1 or in-place cash flow.

I also think your discussion on being able to scale up with cash flow faster than appreciation is off base. A lot more of my investor clients scale up through cash-out refinances or 1031's than through cash flow. Let's say you're getting a 12% cash on cash return annually in your cash flow market. If you save every penny of that, it will take you 8+ years to save the same down payment that you made into that particular investment. However, with only a 3% appreciation rate, you'll have enough to put down on a second property with your accumulated equity in 4-5 years.

In reality though, most investors that scale rapidly do so by creating value, using outside income, or using other peoples' money. Neither cash flow nor appreciation on it's own will allow you to snowball your investments very rapidly. 

Joseph Cacciapaglia powered by Morty
See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joseph CacciapagliaBusiness Member
    Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    The real key to this analysis is your #5 under the appreciation benefits. I think the biggest benefit in most "appreciation" markets is that they tend to also have strong rent growth. I've looked at several "cash flow" versus "appreciation" scenarios over long periods of time, and in many cases the appreciation markets create more cash flow during holding periods longer than 5 years. I believe that anyone that plans to hold properties for the long term would be better off focusing on rent growth and appreciation than they would on year 1 or in-place cash flow.

    I also think your discussion on being able to scale up with cash flow faster than appreciation is off base. A lot more of my investor clients scale up through cash-out refinances or 1031's than through cash flow. Let's say you're getting a 12% cash on cash return annually in your cash flow market. If you save every penny of that, it will take you 8+ years to save the same down payment that you made into that particular investment. However, with only a 3% appreciation rate, you'll have enough to put down on a second property with your accumulated equity in 4-5 years.

    In reality though, most investors that scale rapidly do so by creating value, using outside income, or using other peoples' money. Neither cash flow nor appreciation on it's own will allow you to snowball your investments very rapidly. 

    Joseph Cacciapaglia powered by Morty
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 150 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    Go with the cash flow and equity will increase proportionally.

  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    5y

    As @Claudio Salvatorelli says, increasing cash flow and appreciation are aligned, not separate.  My experience, 100% of the time and though about a dozen buildings, has been I buy value-add properties that are substantially under the market, rent-wise. I do floors, maybe electrical, paint, minor remodels including countertops or vanities, raise rents to market, match the market cap rate, property increases in value up to 30% within one year.

    Appreciation was due to increased NOI, not in lieu of it.

  • Jon KellyPro Member
    Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 929 posts · 951 votes
    5y

    @Tyler D. You laid out the benefits for each nicely. While cashflow and appreciation usually go hand-in-hand, if you have to make a choice I think most would choose cashflow. It's more of a "sure thing" and the benefits are immediate. 

    You could argue cashflow is more of an "active" strategy, while appreciation is a more "passive" strategy. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Cashflow you know now.

    Appreciation you're hoping for in the future.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y

    @Tyler D.   I like to re_word this question for clarity.  Is cash-flow or equity better?  Appreciation brings in a hope factor.  Equity does not.

    I have done both and am an equity investor.  Equity is captured at the buy and grown by adding value.  One strategic buy in a nice area for me will capture years worth of in the trenches hard slog cash-flow.   And that's before adding my standard 10x value to cost standard improvements.  

    Most see cash-flow as the sure thing vs equity.  I do not.  Years of cash-flow can be wiped out with one bad tenant or a large cap ex.  It can be severely reduced with mediocre property management or creamed with risky deadline debt.  

    Cash-flow has the risk, not buying right and capturing equity in good neighborhoods.  Equity buys all the way. 

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 818 posts · 639 votes
    5y

    @Tyler D. Appreciation is great, but I would just like to point out that flipping is highly disadvantageous when compared against a buy and hold approach due to (a) Short term capital gains taxes (b) Transaction fees - agent/lawyer (c) No depreciation benefit

    Cash flow is great, often at the expense of appreciation though, but the question is how well can you redeploy said cash flow? Are you just using it to live? Is it sitting idle in a savings account? 

    Appreciation and paying down debt are very valuable because they putting redeployment of capital on "autopilot"  

  • Real Estate Broker · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2014 · 679 posts · 888 votes
    5y

    For lower income individuals, cash flow is more important to support their living expenses.
    for high income individuals, cash flow is compromised due to their high tax bracket. Appreciation is much more attractive.

    When I first stared in 2009, the only consideration is cash flow, since I did not know better.

    Now, i am balancing those two together, along with my income bracket. I want negative cash flow if possible, with maximum appreciation.

    Bottom line is you have to look at your tax return and tax bracket, before making a calculation on your investment strategy.

  • Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    I use three parameters: Cash flow; Appreciation; Principal reduction.  The principal reduction comes from paying the mortgage every month.  

    The rate of return = (Cash flow + Appreciation + Principal reduction)/My cash that is invested in this house.

    If the rate of return is good, such as 20%, then it is worth buying for me.  So I focus on the rate of return, instead of cash flow or appreciation alone.  

  • Member since 2019 · 219 posts · 99 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Szikla:

    @Tyler D. Appreciation is great, but I would just like to point out that flipping is highly disadvantageous when compared against a buy and hold approach due to (a) Short term capital gains taxes (b) Transaction fees - agent/lawyer (c) No depreciation benefit

    Cash flow is great, often at the expense of appreciation though, but the question is how well can you redeploy said cash flow? Are you just using it to live? Is it sitting idle in a savings account? 

    Appreciation and paying down debt are very valuable because they putting redeployment of capital on "autopilot"  

    I'm looking at both appreciation and CF from the perspective of long term buy and hold. I don't consider flipping to be an investment, it's more like a 2nd job.

    I agree that cash flow is hard to use effectively. If the strategy is to hit $x in CF, then quit your job and sit on a beach somewhere, I get it. If the goal is to deploy the maximum amount of $ into income producing investments, that is a bit more problematic. You'd need to constantly be on the hunt for deals, which could end up being close to a part time job.

    I disagree on paying down debt. The whole point of taking on debt is leverage, and by paying down debt you are giving back that leverage. Even if you don't want to look for more properties, you could put that money in stocks which should give a higher return.

  • Member since 2019 · 219 posts · 99 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @David Song:

    For lower income individuals, cash flow is more important to support their living expenses.
    for high income individuals, cash flow is compromised due to their high tax bracket. Appreciation is much more attractive.

    When I first stared in 2009, the only consideration is cash flow, since I did not know better.

    Now, i am balancing those two together, along with my income bracket. I want negative cash flow if possible, with maximum appreciation.

    Bottom line is you have to look at your tax return and tax bracket, before making a calculation on your investment strategy.

    Thanks for this post. I don't see this line of thinking often in the RE community.

    Given that taxes can be as high as the 50%s for high earners, I could definitely see a benefit to having flat or negative present cash flow.

    It's also interesting how you can use things like depreciation/ property taxes/ interest to mitigate income taxes.

    I love high property tax areas for this reason, as they would reduce my taxable income and the cost of property taxes is usually paid off by higher rent, or lower purchase prices. It's almost a free benefit.

    Random question, can you keep these tax benefits when the properties are put into an LLC? I would like to reduce my liability but not if it means a loss to the tax benefits on my personal income.

  • Member since 2019 · 219 posts · 99 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    @Tyler D.   I like to re_word this question for clarity.  Is cash-flow or equity better?  Appreciation brings in a hope factor.  Equity does not.

    I have done both and am an equity investor.  Equity is captured at the buy and grown by adding value.  One strategic buy in a nice area for me will capture years worth of in the trenches hard slog cash-flow.   And that's before adding my standard 10x value to cost standard improvements.  

    Most see cash-flow as the sure thing vs equity.  I do not.  Years of cash-flow can be wiped out with one bad tenant or a large cap ex.  It can be severely reduced with mediocre property management or creamed with risky deadline debt.  

    Cash-flow has the risk, not buying right and capturing equity in good neighborhoods.  Equity buys all the way. 

     How do you capture this equity in the real world? Is this done by fixing up distressed properties, or buying in up and coming areas, or something else?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tyler D.:
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

     How do you capture this equity in the real world? Is this done by fixing up distressed properties, or buying in up and coming areas, or something else?

    In a nutshell, buying off-market belly to belly from tired or transitioning landlords. 

    Nothing listed. Nobody's primary residence unless they are a sudden seller. 

  • Member since 2019 · 219 posts · 99 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Cacciapaglia:

    The real key to this analysis is your #5 under the appreciation benefits. I think the biggest benefit in most "appreciation" markets is that they tend to also have strong rent growth. I've looked at several "cash flow" versus "appreciation" scenarios over long periods of time, and in many cases the appreciation markets create more cash flow during holding periods longer than 5 years. I believe that anyone that plans to hold properties for the long term would be better off focusing on rent growth and appreciation than they would on year 1 or in-place cash flow.

    I also think your discussion on being able to scale up with cash flow faster than appreciation is off base. A lot more of my investor clients scale up through cash-out refinances or 1031's than through cash flow. Let's say you're getting a 12% cash on cash return annually in your cash flow market. If you save every penny of that, it will take you 8+ years to save the same down payment that you made into that particular investment. However, with only a 3% appreciation rate, you'll have enough to put down on a second property with your accumulated equity in 4-5 years.

    In reality though, most investors that scale rapidly do so by creating value, using outside income, or using other peoples' money. Neither cash flow nor appreciation on it's own will allow you to snowball your investments very rapidly. 

    Interesting points. I started thinking this way as well after I purchased my first cashflow property. It brings in a great amount of CoC, but the fundamentals of the area mean that cashflow will likely not increase by any meaningful number in the future. Property values have remained pretty much stagnant for the past 20 years and it is losing population.

    On the flipside, places like NYC/SF are and have always been incredibly pricy. I would say that buying in a market like this is a huge gamble, but you can't deny that along with skyrocketing purchase prices, rents have also gone through the roof. If I could go back in time, I would much rather buy 1 of these properties than a similar value in a cheaper, stagnant area that won't increase in price/ rent.

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 818 posts · 639 votes
    5y

    @Tyler D. Sure, but if that is your mentality (not necessarily wrong) you should be aiming to get the best interest only terms possible and constantly refinancing and redeploying into the stock market or other properties. Still begs the initial question.

  • Member since 2019 · 219 posts · 99 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Szikla:

    @Tyler D. Sure, but if that is your mentality (not necessarily wrong) you should be aiming to get the best interest only terms possible and constantly refinancing and redeploying into the stock market or other properties. Still begs the initial question.

    I suppose it could be that way, if taken to the extreme. I don't know much about I/O loans, but don't they typically come with higher interest rates? That would sort of defeat the purpose, as you can certainly beat a 2-3% interest rate with other investments, but higher rates are more questionable.

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tyler D.:
    Originally posted by @Alexander Szikla:

    @Tyler D. Appreciation is great, but I would just like to point out that flipping is highly disadvantageous when compared against a buy and hold approach due to (a) Short term capital gains taxes (b) Transaction fees - agent/lawyer (c) No depreciation benefit

    Cash flow is great, often at the expense of appreciation though, but the question is how well can you redeploy said cash flow? Are you just using it to live? Is it sitting idle in a savings account? 

    Appreciation and paying down debt are very valuable because they putting redeployment of capital on "autopilot"  

    I'm looking at both appreciation and CF from the perspective of long term buy and hold. I don't consider flipping to be an investment, it's more like a 2nd job.

    I agree that cash flow is hard to use effectively. If the strategy is to hit $x in CF, then quit your job and sit on a beach somewhere, I get it. If the goal is to deploy the maximum amount of $ into income producing investments, that is a bit more problematic. You'd need to constantly be on the hunt for deals, which could end up being close to a part time job.

    I disagree on paying down debt. The whole point of taking on debt is leverage, and by paying down debt you are giving back that leverage. Even if you don't want to look for more properties, you could put that money in stocks which should give a higher return.

    I think questions like these miss the larger point that investing is an incredibly personal journey and the optimum strategy will differ for every person. 

    Even when you limit it to the best long term investment, the answer still depends on your knowledge, skills, and abilities. Are you a RE agent who lives and breathes the industry every day and has above access to deal flow. Or do you have a 9-5 where any time spent in RE is time away from something else? 

    Most of the points I'd make have already been hit on: LT investing is much better from a tax perspective/ transaction costs, @Steve Vaughan's point about equity can be summed up as price is what you pay, value is what you get. Amortization really kicks into high gear about halfway through the loan. 

    At a point all of us as RE investors will have to flip a mental switch and move from wealth generation mode to wealth preservation mode. That is a great thing about RE you can get both at the same time. With debt, some seed capital, and time, you can generate huge amounts of wealth and when the loan is paid off all that wealth sits in great asset for wealth preservation. 

    To your point about refi your cash an putting into equities, the internal logic doesn't add up, you ask a question about the best long term investing, then suggest a velocity of cash flow tactic that adds a bunch of risk all in the name of some increased marginal return. To each their own, but the two seem counter productive.  

  • Member since 2019 · 219 posts · 99 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bill F.:
    Originally posted by @Tyler D.:
    Originally posted by @Alexander Szikla:

    @Tyler D. Appreciation is great, but I would just like to point out that flipping is highly disadvantageous when compared against a buy and hold approach due to (a) Short term capital gains taxes (b) Transaction fees - agent/lawyer (c) No depreciation benefit

    Cash flow is great, often at the expense of appreciation though, but the question is how well can you redeploy said cash flow? Are you just using it to live? Is it sitting idle in a savings account? 

    Appreciation and paying down debt are very valuable because they putting redeployment of capital on "autopilot"  

    I'm looking at both appreciation and CF from the perspective of long term buy and hold. I don't consider flipping to be an investment, it's more like a 2nd job.

    I agree that cash flow is hard to use effectively. If the strategy is to hit $x in CF, then quit your job and sit on a beach somewhere, I get it. If the goal is to deploy the maximum amount of $ into income producing investments, that is a bit more problematic. You'd need to constantly be on the hunt for deals, which could end up being close to a part time job.

    I disagree on paying down debt. The whole point of taking on debt is leverage, and by paying down debt you are giving back that leverage. Even if you don't want to look for more properties, you could put that money in stocks which should give a higher return.

    I think questions like these miss the larger point that investing is an incredibly personal journey and the optimum strategy will differ for every person. 

    Even when you limit it to the best long term investment, the answer still depends on your knowledge, skills, and abilities. Are you a RE agent who lives and breathes the industry every day and has above access to deal flow. Or do you have a 9-5 where any time spent in RE is time away from something else? 

    Most of the points I'd make have already been hit on: LT investing is much better from a tax perspective/ transaction costs, @Steve Vaughan's point about equity can be summed up as price is what you pay, value is what you get. Amortization really kicks into high gear about halfway through the loan. 

    At a point all of us as RE investors will have to flip a mental switch and move from wealth generation mode to wealth preservation mode. That is a great thing about RE you can get both at the same time. With debt, some seed capital, and time, you can generate huge amounts of wealth and when the loan is paid off all that wealth sits in great asset for wealth preservation. 

    To your point about refi your cash an putting into equities, the internal logic doesn't add up, you ask a question about the best long term investing, then suggest a velocity of cash flow tactic that adds a bunch of risk all in the name of some increased marginal return. To each their own, but the two seem counter productive.  

    To be clear, I didn't say anything about refi'ing. I was saying that I wouldn't pay down already existing debt when that money could be reinvested elsewhere. If the interest rates were higher, it could make sense to pay down debt early, but with the current rates of 2-3% I'd much rather put that money to work elsewhere. 

    If I were to buy a property today, and the rates in 30 years were once again at these historical lows, I would absolutely refi that money to put it to work elsewhere. There is a reason that most RE investors prefer to leverage vs buying properties with cash.

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Tyler D'Alessandro

    This is valuable, thanks

  • Member since 2019 · 219 posts · 99 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Madir:

    @Tyler D'Alessandro

    This is valuable, thanks

    Which part, specifically?

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    I have hard data on this. First, the question is wrong. It's not OR, it's "AND". There's a formula that you can analyze how much actual money you'll make in 5 or 10 years when combined both things.

    And also remember: Cash flow is a current state while Appreciation is inherently speculative.

    I give you a clue. In the highest Appreciating market, the average rental to value of any property is usually 0.59
    while in high cash-flow market, the average rental to value of any property has range between 0.9 to 1.2. In CF market, home affordability to wage is 20 percent while in Appreciating market it's between 30-40 percent.

    However, it is very POSSIBLE, at the end of 5 years, the dollar that you invested in either market can generate the same amount of money. Dollar to Dollar, percentage wise.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Tyler D'Alessandro: Adding to your #5. Appreciation can't be forever. It only does occurred in a certain market where wage growth and job growth is exploding, usually in parallel with the stock market that has crazy valuation.

    For example, a crappy house in Palo that only worthed 500k 20 years ago and only 80k in another market, now worth 3 million valuations.

    The appreciation can last long enough when the stock market keeps going up (aka gov. print money). But when the party stopped, the appreciation must stop too. I witnessed this in 2001 and 2009 crashes. So yes appreciation is there but it may stop at any time.

    Rather than focusing on CF or Appreciation, the job of a master investor is actually only to find a distressed business or property and turn it around. Currently, it could be in the hospitality sector.

  • Member since 2019 · 219 posts · 99 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Carlos Ptriawan:

    @Tyler D'Alessandro: Adding to your #5. Appreciation can't be forever. It only does occurred in a certain market where wage growth and job growth is exploding, usually in parallel with the stock market that has crazy valuation.

    For example, a crappy house in Palo that only worthed 500k 20 years ago and only 80k in another market, now worth 3 million valuations.

    The appreciation can last long enough when the stock market keeps going up (aka gov. print money). But when the party stopped, the appreciation must stop too. I witnessed this in 2001 and 2009 crashes. So yes appreciation is there but it may stop at any time.

    Rather than focusing on CF or Appreciation, the job of a master investor is actually only to find a distressed business or property and turn it around. Currently, it could be in the hospitality sector.

    Appreciation can't last forever? Maybe not in many midwest markets where property values have remained stagnant over the past 20 years.

    Most places experience some level of appreciation. The example you mentioned is not the norm, as most places are not affected by IPO millionaires bidding up $3million homes. 

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 401 posts · 86 votes
    5y

    It seems that buying in up and coming neighborhoods can bring you both appreciation and CF especially if you buy distressed properties... 

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    If you are buying based on potential appreciation then to me you are trying to justify buying a place that when performing has below average cash flow. Either way you are playing catch up at that point because the same reason it doesn't cash flow is the same reason you are betting on appreciation. The market is probably tapped out in a given location unless rents start to rise. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.