Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Greg Cobb
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Rentals 2 Retirement - turn key properties.

Greg Cobb
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Posted

Anyone have any insights or dealings with Travis Abbott and “Rentals 2 Retirement”? Also associated with Invest1properties. Good webinar last night but I’d like to hear if others have had and experiences with their operation. 

http://invest1properties.com/w...

P.S.  Not the same as “Rent to Retirement” - which was initially confusing to me. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark H. Porter
  • Investor
  • SC NC, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • SC NC, VA
Replied

Greg, if you have the time and ability to do this yourself you will put a lot more money in your pocket each month.  I bought properties needing rehab for the last 24 years, had local contractors complete the necessary upgrades only to be able to max the rents, and sold them a few years later after the numbers stabilized using a 1031.  All while working full-time in another job.  Only difference in the last few years is I have a virtual bookkeeping company and a property manager.

User Stats

Votes
Greg Cobb
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

Thanks for the reply Mark - much appreciated. Unfortunately I don’t have the time or breadth of knowledge (yet) to be able to do this out of state. I’m sure it would definitely yield higher returns, particularly compared to the Seattle-Tacoma market. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Vukelich
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Auburn, WA: 🏢 26 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Auburn, WA: 🏢 26 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs
Replied

Hey Greg, I don't have experience with programs like that but took a quick glance.  Personally, I believe there are much better ways to invest in RE, even with limited knowledge or bandwidth.  You could partner with someone with experience and purchase something closer to home. Also, you could consider investing in a larger syndicated deal with investors that have proven track records.  Of course, it ultimately depends on your available funds, short/long-term goals, etc.  Best wishes on your success!

User Stats

Votes
Kari Morales
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

Hi Greg.  I found your post while I was trying to find information on invest1 properties also.  I watched the webinar also and was curious about their operation vs other turnkey companies out there.  After doing a web search, I wasn't able to find much information about invest1, or the properties they offer, which concerns me a bit honestly.  

User Stats

Votes
Darius Ogloza
  • Investor
  • Marin County California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Marin County California
Replied

The test I would use (if I were inclined to consider turnkey) would be to ask that I be put in touch with a former/current client who made money over some meaningful period of time using the system and was willing to be transparent om sharing the numbers with me.  If they can't or won't meet that test (for any alleged reason), then no point in doing business.  Just my two cents.   

User Stats

Votes
Greg Cobb
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

@KariMorales - Yes, we had same concerns and experience with no real info available on the web.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Lemaster
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Denver, CO
Replied

@Greg Cobb

This appears to be some sort of knock off of my company with a poor attempt to gain some traction from our marketing campaigns by using a similar name.  They even have the same verbiage we use on our site.  The website you posted a link to is some non-interactive landing page done in 3rd world country.  I would say avoid whatever scam this is, but I don't even see contact information on their site.  Some people have talked about a webinar.  Can anyone send me the info for that so I can investigate this further?

User Stats

Votes
Ali Boone
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Replied

I've been knee-deep in turnkey world for 9+ years now and I've never heard of them. I'm going to go with the other posters who bring up the red flags about them and assume they may not be legit.

User Stats

Votes
Kari Morales
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

Here is an update to my interactions with Invest1 properties and my opinion after speaking with Travis last week. Initially, I was hesitant due to the lack of information available about Invest1 properties, as their website is a very nondescript page without any solid information about who they are or the type of properties they offer. Red flag number one.

Next, after attending the webinar I felt there was a lot of pushing to finance with a company named New Directions. They are encouraging people to take money from their retirement accounts and using it to buy properties, not that I am am opposed to this, however, I felt it was a bit strange that they mentioned this kind of financing would use a 5/1 arm. I thought, who does a 5/1 arm right now, rates are the lowest they have been in years? Red flag number 2.

Also, at first glance, I thought that the alternate name they used, rentals2retirement was actually "Rent to Retirement", a company that I had researched here on BP. To me, I found it odd they would use a name so close to an already established company, or brand. Red flag 3.

Lastly, upon several request to obtain information about the properties they offered, my inquiries were always ignored or told I would receive more information later. Later never came, they never sent any information on their properties as I had requested. 

As a new investor, I have reached out to several other investors looking for guidance, one of the best pieces of advice that I received was from another BP user. He advised me to make sure that I trust the turnkey property company that I go with, unfortunately, invest1 aka rentals2retirement only left me with more questions and a feeling that it might be a scam.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Crunkilton
  • Oregon City, OR
Votes |
  • Oregon City, OR
Replied

@Kari Morales @Greg Cobb

For your investments you want to make sure you're buying from someone established, experienced and well reviewed. If you're considering turnkey then I highly recommend @Zach Lemaster at Rent to Retirement. He's helped me with my investments and I always like to give him a shout out on here. 

Reach out to him and see what he can do!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Greg,

I know a lot of investors want to purchase turnkey properties, either because they don't have the necessary "team" in place to do everything or it just seems easier to buy that way. I've been wholesaling for long time and rarely, do we find properties that are actually turnkey. If they are, the price is outrageous! Most homes will need something: Paint, new fixtures etc. If you're buying out of state, it's nearly impossible to see what you're getting. I would try to find a company, such as ours, where they do everything for you. They find properties that meet your criteria, they rehab them for you and they manage them for you. If you find a good company, your costs will almost always be much lower and typically, the rehabs are done correctly and everything is functioning properly in the home. Best of luck.

User Stats

Votes
Johnny Wolff
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied

Think a good rule of thumb when investing out of state is to:

1)  Talk to their sales team and get their top property/area recommendation

2)  Do your own analysis on that area for population growth, crime, income.  Talk to some local PMs as well

If your analysis confirms their recommendation you may have found a winner.  Asking other BPs members how their experience has been is a solid secondary strategy - but really your market analysis should trump all.  Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jeannie G
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Boulder, CO
Replied

Hello, my husband and I purchased 10 properties in KC from Invest 1 properties, rentals 2 retirement, Travis Abbott. After 4 years we have made ZERO percent ROI, this has been a half-time extremely stressful job for us, even with a property manager, with constant repairs and bad tenants. I could write pages about how terrible this has been. I would absolutely NOT recommend this company. Please contact me if you want more information.