Kansas City Reasonable Cash Flow and CoC ROI

Kansas City Reasonable Cash Flow and CoC ROI

New to Real Estate 路 Overland Park, KS 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 3 votes

Hey All - I'm in the process of looking for "great deals" but having a hard time coming up with anything that meets my minimum cash flow and cash on cash ROI expectations. Ideally I'd like to see $200 cash flow and 12% or greater CoC ROI. I've run the analysis on just under 50 multi-family properties and none seem to meet this criteria. In my analysis I'm also using the following estimates for expenses:

- Vacancy 5%

- Maintenance and Repairs 5%

- Cap Ex 5%

- Property Management 10%

- Future Sale 8%

- Insurance $100

What are others finding in the Kansas City and surrounding market?

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
Turn key provider 路 San Jose, CA 路 Member since 2010 路 4k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
6y

@Michael Holmes I'm assuming your talking about the Kansas City market. If that's the case, your assumptions are very realistic--probably on the low side for multi family. I don't know what the 8% future sale expense is however. If you're referring to commission and closing costs at sale in the future, that is a one time cost that would not be included in your ongoing cash flow analysis. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider 路 San Jose, CA 路 Member since 2010 路 4k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Michael Holmes I'm assuming your talking about the Kansas City market. If that's the case, your assumptions are very realistic--probably on the low side for multi family. I don't know what the 8% future sale expense is however. If you're referring to commission and closing costs at sale in the future, that is a one time cost that would not be included in your ongoing cash flow analysis. 

  • New to Real Estate 路 Overland Park, KS 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Mike D'Arrigo!  I'm using the rental property calculator on this site and it's just one of the inputs.  To your point however it doesn't seem to impact the monthly cash flow number and only impacts the "profit if sold" metric.

  • Silicon Valley 路 Member since 2018 路 20 posts 路 13 votes
    6y
    Are you purchasing 100% in cash? Or financing?

    Your 10% CoC and $200/door is achievable.

    I acquired a SFH last year with 16% CoC and 300$/door. I am in the process for a duplex with same return and cash flow criteria.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Overland Park, KS 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    Thanks @James Wong! I'm using conventional lending, either 75% or 80% LTV depending on the property.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Overland Park, KS 路 Member since 2017 路 22 posts 路 4 votes
    6y

    What types of multifamily properties are you looking for Michael? We focus on 5-80 units throughout the metro. 

  • Member since 2019 路 67 posts 路 21 votes
    6y

    @Michael Holmes

    I am also having hard time finding small multi that cash flows well. Everything seems expensive or maybe I'm not looking correctly...

    I'm looking around Waldo since my wife works close to Waldo and Waldo seems safe with access to shops and such.

    Keep us updated on your search!

    Cheers

    Cheers

  • New to Real Estate 路 Overland Park, KS 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    @Koki Agata will do!  Looked at a few properties last Sunday and going to look at a few more tomorrow 馃

  • New to Real Estate 路 Overland Park, KS 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    @Colton Howell currently fourplexes and smaller but the goal is to move toward larger properties.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.