Strategy on *OLD* 10 unit apartment building? What would you do?

Strategy on *OLD* 10 unit apartment building? What would you do?

Flipper/Rehabber · Yorkville, IL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 1 vote

 I am interested in your experienced feedback and opinions on this deal specifically. Thank you in advance.

We currently own some small, less than 20 unit multi family buildings. I was presented with this off market opportunity and have been working with the seller for about one year now. They have on the property over 30 years. They are elderly owners and self manage. The building is what’s in question…

We don’t know the specific age even after pulling all of the county information but I would guess that it was built around the turn-of-the-century, 1900 or so.

The building is not something that we would normally look at because of the set up – the units have gas stoves,Radiant boiler heating, common water etc. Everyone is currently on a month-to-month lease that’s obviously a gross rent. Basically, it’s one of those buildings you drive-by in the dead of winter in on the third story the windows are open because it’s too hot up there but the tenant is not paying!

Radiant boiler heating, common water etc. Everyone else is currently on a month-to-month lease that’s obviously gross. Basically, it’s one of those buildings you drive-by in the dead of winter in on the third story the windows are open because it’s too hot up there but the tenant is not paying!

Because of the high utility costs and abuse, below average rent and an older building with some definite functional obsolescence, this is why we hesitate to move forward. Because of our history and experience, remodeling the building is not the issue at all. The owner actually put a brand new roof on the building last year.

We have also considered instituting the rubs system on utility charge back per square foot of the building. Most likely if you purchase this most if not all of the tenants would vacate as this will be new management with a new set up and honestly I would like to go unit to unit and do our rehab as quickly as possible.

Rents are between $350 and $600 gross. I believe after we spent some money on the building and show some easy improvements those rounds can easily increase a minimum of $100 per month. If we do some sort of utility charge back system and I still think rents could increase and we could attract better renters in general.

Rents are between $350 and $600 gross. I believe after we spent some money on the building and show some easy improvements those rounds can easily increase a minimum of $100 per month. If we do some sort of utility charge back system and I still think rents could increase and we could attract better renters in general.

I should preface this by saying the building is in an area that is somewhat world of draws from many larger towns and there are not many rentals available at all. Average rent in this area starts around $700-$800 for a dump!

Building has low taxes and nothing else really is out of whack. There is on site parking and very little yard to mow.

Curious as to how any of you would handle the situation and what your thoughts or concerns might be specifically due to the age of the building? I don’t think this is something that we would prefer to own long-term but possibly go through the building And improve the property throughout.

Gross rental income is currently around $55,000 but I think it would be more like $70,000 once improved. Purchase price is < $250,000 for 10 units.

Thank you.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 58 votes
7y

@Jeff Nydegger I’m just keeping them long term. Hopefully improving the area after the rehab

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 58 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Nydegger the numbers seem similar to a deal I’m doing on 2 six units. They’re side by side. Both older buildings like yours and have been poorly managed. One of the 6 units has 6 separate boilers, water heaters and meters. Rents are currently 700 for each apt plus utilities but they need full rehabs. The owners are retiring and are selling it to me for 115k (19k/unit) But it needs about 150k worth of work. The other six unit is like your building as it has shared utilities with 1 boiler. But that Six unit is almost completely updated and I’m buying it for 200k. (33k/unit) Guess it just depends if it’s an area you want to invest in and what the typical price per unit is for something in that kind of condition. For me, 30k per unit is normal for something that needs a cosmetic rehab and mechanical updates, so if You can buy something discounted that leaves room for rehab and still be under the typical price per unit in the area then you’re in good shape. Especially if you can raise rents

  • Real Estate Agent · Renton, WA · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 151 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Nydegger Depending on what you rehab costs is to get the units up to date, it sounds like a definite value add opportunity as the rents are below market and rental inventory is low. Happy Investing!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Yorkville, IL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Quito Keutla thanks man.  I used to live in Lakewood, WA!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Yorkville, IL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Robin Casper good input.  are you planning on keeping these 12 units or value add then flip?  Whats the exit for you?

  • Contractor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 58 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Nydegger I’m just keeping them long term. Hopefully improving the area after the rehab

  • Rental Property Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 262 posts · 136 votes
    7y

    This seems like a great opportunity. As long as you have reserves in place to weather the vacancies while you turn over the units you have a solid value add opportunity and this type of seller sounds like the exact type of owner a value-add investor would be looking for! How did you find these sellers? Was this a listed property or did you find it off-market?

  • Rental Property Investor · Salvo, NC · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    anyone have a small apartment complex you are wanting to part with ? I am looking for my first apartment building on the small side to get started.

  • Investor/Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 291 posts · 308 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Nydegger I agree with the others in that it sounds like a great value add opportunity.  You already know what issues are and as long as you have a plan in place and know what its' going to cost to fix the issues and improve the building then I would say go for it.  Once you get it stabilized it should cash flow very well.   Buildings of that age I normally look heavily at the foundation, supports, electric and plumbing to make sure you don't have any expensive surprises.  I would make sure you have a plan for the heat as it sounds like it's an issue.  Just know up front what you are going to do to improve it.

    We have a 6 unit where we pay the water bill, but we bill back all the tenants a flat fee of $25 per month for water. It doesn't completely cover the bill, but it certainly helps us offset the cost and increases our NOI from when we purchased it.

    It sounds like you may not want to hold long term so my last question would be is if there is a market to sell in a few years after you get it stabilized and performing the way you want?  Any idea what Cap Rates are in your area or what stabilized building trade for?  If you're getting it for less than 250k, but have to put 100k into it are you confident you'll get enough out of it at sale to compensate you for turning the building around?  I would imagine you would based on the rents, but just something to consider.  Best of luck.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Yorkville, IL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Allyssa Mccleery Thanks for your feedback. This was an off market deal that I mailed to just because I drive by it all the time. The rehab of the building and retenanting everything is not what we’re scared of but the actual age of the structure. Mostly because we would like to re-position this property and then resell it. I want to make sure the next buyer, whoever that is is OK with 120-year-old building too!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Yorkville, IL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Bob Woelfel Thank you for your feedback. I do like the way you are billing back tenets for the water bill. It’s definitely something I’m going to have to implement and I honestly feel that because of who he has in the building, most of the tenets will leave, which we are fully prepared for. We will purchase the property < $200,000 and probably only put in about 50 or $60,000. Foundation seems good and some of the electric and plumbing has been updated. If the building was full of old knob and tube wiring and all the outlets are ungrounded and had tons of safety issues I’m not sure if we would pay any money for this building!

  • Rental Property Investor · Doylestown, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Jeff Nydegger - there aren't just cons with older buildings... there are pros as well.  The old saying "They don't build them like they used to" exists for a reason.  I have a few older properties and they are, pardon my french, built like brick $hit houses :)

    Also, depending on the building, if it has come architectural character, once you clean it up with paint, landscaping, windows etc it will stand out from the other generic apartments in the area.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 262 posts · 136 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Nydegger Understandable. Although, as long as you are diligent about maintenance and repairing the damage that has been done I don't think you will have a problem finding a buyer. There are plenty of older buildings across the county that are very desirable places to live and own :) I think you have a great opportunity and look forward to hearing about the results!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Yorkville, IL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Salvatore Lentini Good point.  Thank you.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Yorkville, IL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Allyssa McCleery  Thanks and will keep forum updated.  

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    We bought a 1900, 7 (one-bedroom) unit last June. Rents were very low and the tenant crazy was deep. Luckily the heat was already separated, only water and gas hot water is supplied by landlord. By far the biggest issue is the plumbing. Now that we are down to 3 tenants we are about to completely redo the iron main stacks that end in a crawl space and 4 baths and 4 kitchens for 4 of the units. We just finished getting quotes (ouch, ouch, ouch) and have selected the plumber. I don't mind old buildings if they were originally built as apartments. I really don't care for multi units that are hacked up old houses. Around here they are seldom done well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.