approaching an off market deal by county assessor

approaching an off market deal by county assessor

Shelbyville, IN · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 4 votes

Ill start off by saying this potential off market deal is for a personal residence.   I was scrolling through the county assessors gps feature looking at land that i would like to live.  i found one that was perfect and i even found out that the owner is my fiances 2nd cousin, who is completely paralyzed from the neck down from a work accident.  this property is 10 acres and it looks like they didnt purchase it and inherited it, im assuming he moved because he obviously cannot tend to 10 acre property, he moved with his family to a place that is more handicap accessible.   I should be able to use this to my advantage to get a good deal, but im not sure how to approach it.  i know i can say that im in a relationship with his cousin and looking to find a first home for our family (we have a one year old son).    i plan on sending him a hand written letter, how should i go about this?   what should i say?     and if this doesnt play out and he doesnt want to sell i will move on with my alternative goal of house hacking.    Thanks for checking this out and reading!!

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    I would use the relative angle to my advantage. I would first find a phone number for the cousin. Make a phone call.

    Hi is this Steve? This is Zach, my fiance, Mrs Zach, I think is your cousin, is that right? Wow small world. Well the reason that I am calling is that we are looking at some property and we were driving by your 10 acres and Mrs Zach said she thought you owned the property. Would you by chance be interested in selling??

    Take it from there. Maybe they want to sell or maybe never. Make the call, you have a great connection with your fiance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.