Realtor · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 10 votes
Hey there,
Does anyone know what area(s) to stay away from in Bakersfield? I'm starting to look for a potential multi family prop. Any and all information would be useful.
I've seen some properties in the Oildale area and done some research and it doesn't look too bad.
And on the flip side, what areas are up and coming?
Investor · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2015 · 483 posts · 234 votes
8y
Paul Aguilar congrats on starting the search for your property. I am afraid that in Bakersfield, especially right now, you really can’t blanket the areas. Most people will come into Bakersfield and say that anything west of the 99 is good, which is partially true, West of the 99 does tend to be better neighborhoods on the whole but you can still get into some rough areas.
I don’t know what your exact objective is with the new property but if it is for returns it would be good to look at the East Side and Oildale, the only thing I would recommend is making sure you work with someone that really knows the areas because I have seen other investors come in to a deal they thought was great just to be surprised by different factors on the property and the neighborhood. Another thing to make sure is to check for property management companies that can take care of your property for you.
Hope this was helpful. I would be happy to help further if you would like to PM me. Congrats again on starting your search.
Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
8y
@Paul Aguilar I can't tag him but I've seen Sanjeev Advani post here and there on the boards about Bakersfield. You may want to reach out to him.
I used to own a property in California City on the outskirts of Kern County. It was a decent investment, primarily because I was able to get it from a distressed seller at below market.
I love Simi Valley, by the way. Love it so much I got married there!
Realtor · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 10 votes
8y
@Logan Allec awesome, thanks for the lead. I'll be sure to find the post and reach out to him. What areas are you currently investing in?
I just moved to Sim about 4 months ago. I was skeptical at first, but I really like it. I got married in Moorpark and never thought I would be moving to this area. You never know where life will take you.
Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2016 · 378 posts · 307 votes
8y
Oildale is good for multi-units, as is the Northeast part of town in general. There are also good multi-unit rentals near downtown and Oleander.
The flip market is over-saturated with mail marketers taking all the off-market leads for that, so it's proven tough for me and my clients when it comes to flips. The best areas are generally the older neighborhoods in town: Oildale, La Cresta and College Heights, Oleander, etc. Newer communities here tend to not have dilapidated homes that make for good flips, generally speaking.
In general, buy and hold has been raking in the best profits lately here, from what I've seen.
Investor · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2015 · 483 posts · 234 votes
8y
Paul Aguilar congrats on starting the search for your property. I am afraid that in Bakersfield, especially right now, you really can’t blanket the areas. Most people will come into Bakersfield and say that anything west of the 99 is good, which is partially true, West of the 99 does tend to be better neighborhoods on the whole but you can still get into some rough areas.
I don’t know what your exact objective is with the new property but if it is for returns it would be good to look at the East Side and Oildale, the only thing I would recommend is making sure you work with someone that really knows the areas because I have seen other investors come in to a deal they thought was great just to be surprised by different factors on the property and the neighborhood. Another thing to make sure is to check for property management companies that can take care of your property for you.
Hope this was helpful. I would be happy to help further if you would like to PM me. Congrats again on starting your search.
Realtor · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 10 votes
8y
@Max Gradowitz thanks for the info. Flipping is not what I'm looking to get into right now. Buy and hold for cash flow is what I'm trying to achieve, single or multi-units.
Realtor · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 10 votes
8y
@Sanjeev Advani thank you! I look forward to seeing what I can do in the area. I know crime along with lower school rating effect the areas so I'm trying to find a solid, middle of the road area. My goal is to buy and hold for cash flow. I'll definitely DM you in the near future to talk in more detail. I appreciate the response and information!
I’ve been living in Moorpark for 28 years now and it’s a great place to live, but not a good place to buy cashflowing properties. My properties are located in Antelope Valley and I’m now looking for properties in Bakersfield.