Legal Advice- Ever get sued months after a closing?

Legal Advice- Ever get sued months after a closing?

Contractor 路 Phoenix, AZ 路 Member since 2017 路 35 posts 路 89 votes

I just did.  I closed on my primary residence in May and just got a letter stating that there is a leak in a shower and they are demanding $25k by the end of next week.  Whats sad about this is I'm 99.9% sure that this is an issue from not having a threshold on the glass door and it is dripping on to floor.  It looks like they got a contractor in there to come up with some kind of bs about ripping up a slab ect.  The bathroom is brand new and was permitted which included underground plumbing/rough in/ and final inspections from the city.  There was also nothing about this in the inspection report in the sale of the home.  Any advice?  

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor 路 Plano, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 36 posts 路 27 votes
9y

I wouldn't worry about it.  Even if the letter came from a law firm on their legal letter head (which can be done for a couple hundred bucks) if the buyer had the opportunity to conduct inspections there is little to nothing they can do.  

If an inspector came through and they had every opportunity to request repairs and you allowed them reasonable access to conduct inspections you have nothing to worry about.

It's been said many times and will probably be said even more.  Caveat emptor (buyer beware) applies here.  

This is more than likely, what you suspect.   A buyer who got some nutcase GC in there to give them an inflated bid.  And here's the rub.  Even if there was a leak that required ripping up the slab.  As long as they cannot prove you knew about it and hid it from them, and they had inspections done, there's nothing they can do.  This is more than likely a scare tactic and I would ignore it or send them a nice response saying to go pound sand.  

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor 路 Phoenix, AZ 路 Member since 2017 路 35 posts 路 89 votes
    9y

    Also I need to note, I used this shower every day until the sale and there was not any leaking.  I did notice that if the glass door was not pulled in far enough that water would drip down the door to the floor.  I did tell them about this.

  • Investor 路 Plano, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 36 posts 路 27 votes
    9y

    I wouldn't worry about it.  Even if the letter came from a law firm on their legal letter head (which can be done for a couple hundred bucks) if the buyer had the opportunity to conduct inspections there is little to nothing they can do.  

    If an inspector came through and they had every opportunity to request repairs and you allowed them reasonable access to conduct inspections you have nothing to worry about.

    It's been said many times and will probably be said even more.  Caveat emptor (buyer beware) applies here.  

    This is more than likely, what you suspect.   A buyer who got some nutcase GC in there to give them an inflated bid.  And here's the rub.  Even if there was a leak that required ripping up the slab.  As long as they cannot prove you knew about it and hid it from them, and they had inspections done, there's nothing they can do.  This is more than likely a scare tactic and I would ignore it or send them a nice response saying to go pound sand.  

  • Contractor 路 Phoenix, AZ 路 Member since 2017 路 35 posts 路 89 votes
    9y

    @Everett Fujii thanks for the feedback.  That's exactly what I was thinking, but its hard not to get worked up over this stuff.

  • Investor 路 Plano, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 36 posts 路 27 votes
    9y

    @Ryan Kinsella

    I understand.  It can be incredibly nerve wracking.  

    But try not to worry to much.  It really is up to you whether you want to respond or not.  I've had lawyers suggest both options.  Really just depends on whether they were a real pain in the butt when buying it or not and whether the response will even do anything or not.  

    What will more than likely happen (with or without a response) is they will send you another letter or two then go away. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire 路 Northeast, TN 路 Member since 2015 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    9y

    I agree, I would tell them nicely to pound sand. And if you have good insurance, you rarely worry about getting sued. Carry a PUP and you will feel like dancing 馃槀

    PS: I have been sued twice by insurance companies in abrogation cases. One my insurer covered completely (daughter was at fault in a car accident) and the other cost me $500 plus my attorney fees to settle. Would have been cheaper if I had had a PUP, so it's something to think about.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Contractor 路 Phoenix, AZ 路 Member since 2017 路 35 posts 路 89 votes
    9y

    @JD Martin, that is a such a good idea.  Insurance didn't even cross my mind.  I have already left a voicemail to my insurance guy.  Thank you.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire 路 Northeast, TN 路 Member since 2015 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Kinsella:

    @JD Martin, that is a such a good idea.  Insurance didn't even cross my mind.  I have already left a voicemail to my insurance guy.  Thank you.

     It's pretty cheap, too. I think I pay something like $275 annual for an additional $2 mil. With that on top of the portfolio insurance I'd have to do something pretty far out there to have any personal liability beyond my $1k deductibles. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor 路 Cedar Park, TX 路 Member since 2014 路 317 posts 路 74 votes
    9y

    I know this is probably a dumb question but I am going to ask it anyway.

    What is PUP insurance? I have never heard of that or that type of policy.

  • Contractor 路 Phoenix, AZ 路 Member since 2017 路 35 posts 路 89 votes
    9y
    Shawn Corcoran it's an umbrella policy that covers all sorts of stuff like this.
  • Investor 路 Cedar Park, TX 路 Member since 2014 路 317 posts 路 74 votes
    9y

    @Ryan Kinsella Thank you very much. I never heard of a umbrella policy called anything other than that. Thanks again for clearing that up for me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.