Selling & Owner Financing Difference bw Appraisal & Asking Price

Selling & Owner Financing Difference bw Appraisal & Asking Price

Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 40 votes

Hello BP World,

Bottom Line Up Front: Can I sell my home and owner-finance the down payment or rest of the asking if the appraisal won't allow the full asking price ($180k), but the buyer wants it and we needto get rid of it (to start investing elsewhere).

Backstory: I am selling my home in Fayetteville, NC (28306). The last contract we accepted (now cancelled) used a VA loan through USAA and the appraisal came back WAY low, $159k on a house we paid $175 for in 2013 and put $20k in upgrades to it. We were pretty annoyed with the way USAA sent an out-of-state appraiser who would ONLY do comps in that exact neighborhood, which is a rural-ish subdivision and definitely did not have any good comps. My REA offered better comps within 1.5 miles, same country and area but he wouldn't budge. Since it was a VA loan, which is a HUGE portion of the Fayetteville market, we're screwed for 6 months on that appraisal unless we challenge it (in the works). So, if a buyer can only (or only wants to) do VA, can I lend them the rest of the money to make the deal go through? I'm not sure this is really what I want to do, but I really need the capital to start investing in Tampa, FL. Any advice is appreciated.

Caveats: Yes, I know I did not make a good deal when I bought but I was not really an REI at the time, just buying a home for the family. Only after attempting to rent and seeing I would not make a profit in renting did I discover BP and therefore a much better way to invest. Also, if anyone here is interested in buying the house, PM me and I can give you more details. Would be willing to make a good deal if it worked out for everyone.

Jason Pinkerton

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    It's not likely that you could do that. The bank will loan to a buyer based on the loan to value- if you are loaning the buyer the entire down payment, that would have to be disclosed to the bank and the LTV would essentially be 100%.

  • Flipper and Buy/Hold · Cary, NC · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    Jason - 

    The way that I understand VA appraisals is that the appraisal stays with the buyer and not the property. I would talk to someone who is experienced about that. I know some other investors that have run into this before and they cancel the contract and put the property back on the market and then the next appraiser has no problem finding value. I would also ask to see the appraisal. Some appraiser may miss a bedroom or a bathroom or a fence, etc. Make sure that you are working with an experienced broker that does a lot of volume

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.