Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Natalie Schanne
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Princeton, NJ
Votes |
Help!!! My spouse doesn't want to house hack and I REALLY do!

Natalie Schanne
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Princeton, NJ
Posted Apr 29 2017, 19:49

What's your advice for convincing your spouse to get interested in House Hacking?

I love Scott Trench's Set for Life House Hacking mindset. Since 2009, I've owned a foreclosure-rehab turned house hack (5 BR 3 BA). I lived in 1 BR and rented out 4 BR to professional women. Every other time I've lived somewhere outside of home, I've shared with a roommate or rented a cheap bedroom in someone else's house (like $500-600/mo vs $1200+ for 1 BR 1 BA) and saved/invested the difference.

In 2016, I moved to a new state, married the love of my life and we're expecting our first baby in late May. Because his job is 1 year term-renewable, we leased a 1000 SF 1st floor 2 BR 2 BA condo for $1500 before we knew I was pregnant. I chose this larger apartment because I had initially planned to rent out the spare bed + bath for $700-800/mo, but he stopped me because he 'wanted to ensure our privacy.' 

Anyway, I partnered with someone from my REIA on 2 flips and now I'm actively touring several properties a week to buy my family a rehab-fixer upper that we can live in as well as rent out part of it. (Goal: either we can sell in 2 years and get the free capital gains or we can keep the great primary residence financing and rent it anytime.)

I want to house hack. Where I live, duplexes are NOT common. Most are 'ancient' conversions of larger homes and are not very nice. When touring with investors, I have seen 0 suitable for my family. My strategy has been to look for 4+ BR 2+ BA houses in good neighborhoods that are fixer uppers / REO / foreclosures. I have found several with two entrances / split levels and a common laundry space such that I could rent 2-3 BR to another family or 2-3 professionals and earn $1500-2000/mo on a $200-250k purchase while living cheaply in the other 1000 SF of the house and having limited forced interaction with the roommates/tenants. Whenever I take my spouse to one of these 2000 SF houses, I can see money and potential, but he doesn't want me to buy. He imagines just us and our family. Why would he prefer a $1500/mo (150k-purchase cost) 2 BR 2 BA 1000 SF condo over a $250k 4 BR 2-3BA 2000 SF house where we rent out half and live for like $500/mo?

What tactics would you use with your spouse to get him or her interested in sharing a too-big house with nice people you choose that you may not even see frequently in order to pay a very low monthly net rent and maximize the ROI on your primary residence rehab? Thanks!

Loading replies...