Real Estate Agent · Ridgewood, NJ · Member since 2015 · 114 posts · 43 votes
Hey BP,
So long story short I'm supposed to close on my first property(2 family house hack in Passaic county NJ) on Friday. I had pushed for the longest time to set a closing date with the seller stating I'd lose my mortgage rate lock(since Dec 2016) and lo' n behold I lost it because we couldn't settle in time. The tenant(unit I'm living in, FHA loan) was given their 60 days and I'm being told they can't vacate the tenant in the NJ state required time. Not only am I pissed from having to pay extra on my mortgage but I had made lots of commitments for moving, renovations, and professionally. Since they signed an addendum that we'd close March 31st and they are breaching that I'd like to rebut with concessions to the magnitude of closing costs. Now...I know this can bring up legal issues and I'm not looking for that here, rather what everyone would do if they were in my situation? Any past experience stories, tips, verbiage, or advice would really be appreciated. I shouldn't have to absorb any recourse from them not being professional landlords, right? It's really been a long and painful transaction, especially being my first.
you did get a copy of the lease correct during your due diligence your Broker has been helping you correct.. or is this a fsbo? not really enough info here to comment on whats happening
you did get a copy of the lease correct during your due diligence your Broker has been helping you correct.. or is this a fsbo? not really enough info here to comment on whats happening
The delay appears to be due to your financing being contingent on you occupying the property, so the delay appears to me to be from your end. Closing could happen if it was cash or conventional. It seems like the addendum if yoibare unable to close by March 31 could mean that you lose your EMD unless there us something spelled out differently in the addendum.
you did get a copy of the lease correct during your due diligence your Broker has been helping you correct.. or is this a fsbo? not really enough info here to comment on whats happening
Hey Jay, thanks for jumping on the post. The tenant is actually month to month.
@Russell Brazil my mortgage is contingent on me occupying but I brought the situation up to my lender and being able to close with a tenant in for a few days is not a problem. This is just as long as they are moving out. The biggest problem is that I they just keep prolonging this and not only are my finances taking a hit but also my personal and professional career. What if I was to leave for a 2 month business trip the day after we close and have a construction crew in the next day to renovate or my lease on my apartment ends that same day? It's really not my problem that they can't take being a landlord professionally as a business and handle turnover properly. They tell me 2 days before closing that they're pushing it back again....I don't think so, especially when our addendum states March 31st. Sorry, I'm just frustrated as you can see...
If you perceive the seller is delaying, then maybe it would seem they're not very motivated...
A big part of this business is finding "motivated sellers." Tattoo that on your wrist.
You're looking for people who "need" to sell, "can't wait" to hand you the keys, and are about ready to "just give up."
If the sellers aren't saying anything like that, then...
@Jay Hinrichs precisely, they are month to month so I see don't see how 60 days is not enough time. I'm going to keep this forum posted as to what happens. Thanks everyone so far on the advice.