IS YOUR HARD MONEY LENDER DOING YOU A FAVOR?

IS YOUR HARD MONEY LENDER DOING YOU A FAVOR?

Residential Real Estate Broker · Riverside, CA · Member since 2014 · 82 posts · 121 votes

Is your hard money lender doing you a favor?

My answer is NO. If you are a rehabber, you are the one doing your hard money lender a big favor.

As a flipper, you spent your money marketing for deals. If you are good at finding fat and juicy deals, you can write your own ticket.

So when a hard money lender says to me, "can you go to our website and complete our loan application, I immediately roll my eyes at him.

If he now says, we have to check your credit, I immediately say in my mind "FU"

Sometimes, I let them go through their spill.

These are our criteria, "you have to have 30% of your own money in the deal.

First I say, okay, here's my scenario.

I am on contract to by this property. It is worth $340K as is.

How much would you loan me?

The next question they ask you is "how much are you paying for the property"?

In this case, my contract price was $220K

Then the "ignorant" and inexperienced hard money lender tells me, we can only loan you 70% of your purchase price.

I ask him why, and he says, "we want you to have skin in the game.

To which I say in my mind, "really, and followed by "FU" again.

I then ask him, what about the equity I am bringing to the deal?

He says "what equity?" I then remind him again, I am buying this property for $220K

The value as is right now is $340. I am buying it at 65% LTV. I will have $120K equity on the day I close.

Don't you think that is enough skin in the game? To which the dumb hard money lender replies, "we still want you to put your own money in the deal"

Obviously, he did not get my business.

I went with the smart hard money lender who loaned me $225K on the deal, enough to buy and pay all my closing costs.

The dumb hard money lender called me a few weeks later to ask me what happened to his term sheet? I said, "let me check my bathroom" Just joking.

The moral of this story is this. When you live in America, you have choices.

As rehabbers, we spend a lot of money and time chasing deals. By the time you find a good deal, you have already invested a ton of money and skin in the game.

So, for a hard money lender to tell me that he wants me to have a skin in the game or what is my Fico when I put a 65% LTV contract on the table shows that the hard money lender is either a newbie or does not have a good grasp of the business.

I am sure some people would probably disagree with my position. So let's debate.

Who is doing who a favor? Is it the flipper who spent his money finding deals only to be told he needs more money in the deal? Or the hard money lender who controls the money and thinks the flipper does not have enough skin in the game?

I say, if you are buying a property at 65% LTV of ARV, lenders should be giving you a medal and throwing money at you. Especially since you are paying their crazy high interest rate and ungodly points.

The smart ones do. These days, there's a lot of money around. So, as a flipper, just focus on finding good deals and the money will chase you.

By the way, I turned down three other hard money lenders for my deal.

I will be closing escrow on it in a few days.

Purchase price, $220K. Loan amount $225K

Rehab $30K. Sold price, $364K. Gross profit,

$109K.

How many of these do you need per year to make a good living?

Check out the before and after pictures of the property. Happy Thanksgiving. I welcome your thoughts. 

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y

As a rehabber I agree with you 100%. 

Although I can see where lenders are coming from wanting skin in the game. I can understand that with a new flipper, but track record has to be taken into account here. Like you I'd rather spend that "skin" on more marketing and finding more flips, thus giving the lender more points and interest. Finding deals at 65% ARV takes money.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    As a rehabber I agree with you 100%. 

    Although I can see where lenders are coming from wanting skin in the game. I can understand that with a new flipper, but track record has to be taken into account here. Like you I'd rather spend that "skin" on more marketing and finding more flips, thus giving the lender more points and interest. Finding deals at 65% ARV takes money.

  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    If you are so upset at Hard Money lenders, why do you work with them at all?  If the make you want to swear every 3 lines maybe you should just buy your own houses.  Unless of course they are providing some value to your business...

    You seem a bit harsh here. I realize this is a good tactic to get people to respond to the post but it comes off a bit over the top to me. 

    Good luck on your adventures and Happy thanksgiving! 

  • Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    "So, as a flipper, just focus on finding good deals and the money will chase you."

    I understand your side of the argument @Toyin Dawodu and agree on most of your points, except the above. The bottom line should be: it's the borrower's responsibility to shop around and find the best / most competitive lender. This is still very much a lender's market. Experienced private or hard money lenders don't chase deals, as investors and borrowers come to us by the hundreds asking for financing. As a flipper, gathering multiple data points up front and connecting with several experienced lenders in the beginning will prevent these annoying types of scenarios every time. 

    Impressive job on your flip, it looks great!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Riverside, CA · Member since 2014 · 82 posts · 121 votes
    9y

    @Joshua D., It looks like I was a bit harsh, but this message is for newbies. I just don't like the pretend hard money lenders who lure you with BS and can't even fund your deal. It's very easy to get discouraged when you are being told by people that need your business that you should worship them. Lenders need flippers more than flippers need lenders. That's why flippers should focus on finding deals instead of chasing hard money lenders.

  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Toyin Dawodu

    I respect your passion, now that I see what you are getting at. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.