• Oconee, IL
Votes |
Duplex Foundation Issue

John Van Uytven
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oconee, IL
Posted Nov 19 2016, 20:51

I have been looking at duplex. It is an older duplex, Early 1900's. The numbers overall are looking good. Until we had the inspection, then the inspector pointed out the foundation issue in the basement. I had not been down there, until after the inspection. 

That is where the pictures came from. The home inspector labeled the foundation "A-typical" and recommended a foundation expert do an inspection.

The owner discouraged me from getting the additional inspection, because all of the basements.

I insisted that we get the inspection and a bid.

The email from the foundation expert is mostly here. Total price about $16,000. The current owner is saying don't worry about the foundation. It is fine, and just leave it. 

Seem like this is very important, and the current owner is trying to unload this quickly without doing any of the work. 

The water coming through the wall is due to voids in the wall, as well as, the hydrostatic pressure from the groundwater under the house. Our system will collect the water at the floor level and get it out of the basement. If the appearance of the walls or the desire is to not see the water, the walls can be covered properly to the drainage in the floor for an additional $2,066. This does not prevent the water from coming in, it simply collects the water in the drainage system. If the cracks are sealed off, the water will find or create more cracks as the water is under pressure. The more cracks created, the less stabile the wall becomes.

The wall inspected is bowing about 1 ¼” on the short side with the ledge wall and 1 1/8” on the long side. Propose installing Galvanized “I” Beams that can be tightened over time to stabilize the wall.

Loading replies...