1031 exchange dilemma, buying 2 properties with new partners

1031 exchange dilemma, buying 2 properties with new partners

Wholesaler · Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 0 votes

I Just sold a property that I owned for 5 years for 400K and have 2 replacement properties identified.

Property A, I have been in escrow for the the last which had title problems and is nearly resolved (at purchase price of 600k) and property B which I am also in escrow for 300k and must close next week. I am planning to close escrow on "B" and refinance it to pull some money out to buy "A" ( and since I may be short in cash bring on a silent partner on board).

Eventually, I like to sell "B", and buy out my partner on"A", so would have "A" for myself.

is this doable? what are the pros and cons? Provided I follow all the timelines and hold property "A" as joint tenants with my partner?

0Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bill ExeterBusiness Member
    1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediary · San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Hi Darius,

    Yes, you could buy property B and then refinance the property to generate additional cash to complete the acquisition of Property A. Property A could be acquired with a co-investor through a tenant-in-common ownership structure. You can complete another 1031 Exchange when you are ready to sell Property B and 1031 Exchange by acquiring your co-owner's TIC interest in property A.

    Exeter 1031 Exchange Services, LLC and Exeter Trust Company4.726 Reviews
  • Wholesaler · Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thank you Bill.

  • Wholesaler · Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Bill

    Can you refi, right after close of transaction on a 1031 exchange to pull money out for other investments or use? or do you suggest a grace period?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.