Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bill Coleman
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Westminster, CO
Votes |
Eviction Process Adams County, CO (Information)

Bill Coleman
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Westminster, CO
Posted

I am posting this for people that might be wondering about the exact process for eviction in Adams County, Colorado. 

1. Post 3-day notice (take photo of notice on door)

2. After 3-day notice has expired, file three forms (found online) at window #8 at the county courthouse in Brighton, CO.You will receive the court date at that time. 

3. Serve notice to tenants. You have to serve notice 7 days prior to the court date but you will also need to give the service company about 5 days to serve the notice. If they don't serve the notice in person and physically hand the notice to the resident, then you can only get a judgement for possession and not for monetary damages. So it's really important that the server has ample time to serve the tenant in person.

4. You must also mail registered/certified court forms to the tenants to arrive approx 5 days prior to the court date.

5. Go to court. This is where you need to prove your case only if the tenant shows up. Generally they don't and you win by default through the clerk. You never even see the judge.

6. The moment you win, you need to complete a writ of restitution with an accompanying check for the cost to have the sheriff come out to oversee the eviction. This writ gives you the right to enter your property and remove the tenant's contents. This is filed again at window 8 in the Brighton courthouse. You can get the cost of the sheriff by calling the Adams County Sheriff's dept. 

7. Take the writ after validation at the courthouse directly to the Adam's Country Sheriff which is a couple miles from the courthouse. Bring a check to the court appearance so you can immediately schedule the eviction with the sheriff - it will save you from having to make two trips out there. The sheriff's dept will assign a sheriff and he/she will call you to schedule the exact day and time. Typically the sheriff will put a note on the door letting them know they are being evicted so that will take another couple days. 

8. When you speak with the sheriff, it's important to find out how many movers he requires, how full the house is with stuff, could the tenant become dangerous, are there kids on the premises, are there pets on the premises, etc. He will also require you to bring trash bags and boxes. You will move everything to where the sheriff designates is a good spot and it will remain there for 72 hours until which time you can dispose of it. 

9. Finally you get your house back!

Hope this is helpful!

Loading replies...