What is my obligation to this buyer's agent?
Here's the situation:
I have been working with a buyer's agent to find investment properties. My agent has never asked me to sign a contract, and has yet to walk me through a property yet. We have contacted somewhat regularly (1-2 times per week on average) via email whenever I have asked for more information on properties that I've found on the MLS. This agent has only "highlighted" one or two properties that I should look at -- the rest have been me finding interesting ones on the MLS and initiating contact by asking for more info.
Separately, I've found an FSBO that I may be interested in. They say they will work with a buyer's agent, but in this case "my" agent hasn't done anything to facilitate the deal. I am ok with my agent getting paid their commission for MLS properties that I can't do all of the research for, but for off-MLS properties it seems like I'm giving money away (in the form of the seller not going as low on the price) if I use my agent.
I know that legally I am ok with no contract in place, but I also don't want to get a reputation as someone who gives agents the run around. Thoughts?