Does the cloud over a quitclaim deed ever resolve itself with time?

Does the cloud over a quitclaim deed ever resolve itself with time?

Investor · Member since 2023 · 107 posts · 23 votes

I have properties—vacant lots—that I will be wanting to sell in the future that I bought at tax sales and come with quitclaim deeds. Someone told me that after a certain number of years the cloud over the title resolved itself. I am not talking about a quiet title action, but rather that after several years the change happened automatically. Maybe the person did not know what he was talking about.  I realize that, if true,  this is governed by state law rather than federal statutes, and therefore there will be fifty different answers. Can anyone tell me where I go online to research what the law is in the states that are relevant to me? 

I am aware that the option  to consult with an attorney exists. I am wondering if there are alternatives that I can explore myself without incurring that expense.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

0Reply
38 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 107 posts · 23 votes
    1y

    Bob, thank you so much for writing me. I am familiar with the redemption period, and that is different from what I am talking about.  I am not sure there is a point in taking it to a title company. In 99 cases out of 100 they will find no issues with the title. They will just say that without a quiet title action, the fact that the title is fine cannot be said officially. That said, I am relatively new to this, and if there is something I am overlooking, please tell me. I am here to learn.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Sylvia Castellanos:

    Bob, thank you so much for writing me. I am familiar with the redemption period, and that is different from what I am talking about.  I am not sure there is a point in taking it to a title company. In 99 cases out of 100 they will find no issues with the title. They will just say that without a quiet title action, the fact that the title is fine cannot be said officially. That said, I am relatively new to this, and if there is something I am overlooking, please tell me. I am here to learn.

    Your comment: "I am not sure there is a point in taking it to a title company."
    I can think of a lot of funny responses to this statement but know this 
    "it is the title company that decides if a property is insurable, no one else"
    Only they will tell you what you want to know if that particular quit claim deed is insurable. Anybody else's answer doesn't matter.


    each state/ title companies will look at quit claim deeds differently.. Like in MS its quite common to transfer title that way and title is insurable in other states your right all the quit claim did is release an interest .  its very state specific.. but i have never heard of time solving a QC deed validity but just because i have not heard it does not make it so.. as mentioned above title officer in the state were the property is would be a good first step
  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 107 posts · 23 votes
    1y

    Jay, that is very valuable information.  Thank you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.