Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike McGee
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Sell portfolio of SFR to investors, or sell individually to Owner/Occupants?

Mike McGee
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Aug 3 2024, 11:18

I have a portfolio of 4 SFR, 3 in Metro Atlanta Georgia area, 1 in Quad Cities Iowa area. I'm thinking about selling them all.

Why am I selling?

- I recently got into STRs, and I like that business better. Plan to 1031-exchange into an upscale STR.
- One SFR had a tenant just move out, another is going through an eviction, so with half of the portfolio vacant, it's decision time.

I'm trying to decide whether to sell them as a portfolio (at least the 3 Georgia ones as a portfolio, Iowa would probably have to be sold separately), or get the other 2 empty, fix them up and sell them all to retail homebuyers. 

I have been approached in the past by investors who want to buy the Atlanta portfolio, but they always want to buy at a discount. I get that, investors get a deal and I get the convenience of selling them all at once. However, I'm starting to think I can get much more selling them individually to owner/occupants. Here's why:

While rents have increased, the home values have increased even more. So, the Georgia home values are way above the 1% rule.
House 1: Market value: $280k.   Market rent: $1945
House 2: Market value: $250k.   Market rent: $1685
House 3: Market value: $210k.   Market rent: $153

So, if I have to reduce the prices to meet the 1% rule in order to sell the portfolio to an investor, that's a steep discount! I think it might be worth the trouble to fix up the other two and sell them all to retail homebuyers. That is, unless investors are now willing to pay more than the 1% rule used to dictate.

I know it will cost some time and money to get them vacant and fixed up, but the alternative seems to be to leave 10s of thousands of dollars on the table. I'm a broker, so commissions aren't a factor, and there's no loan on the Georgia properties.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

Loading replies...