Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Steinke
  • Bend, OR
Votes |
Sell or Hold 1 year old Rental for 50k profit?

Tyler Steinke
  • Bend, OR
Posted

Hi Bigger Pockets Investors,

My wife and I purchased a rental property in Bend, Oregon 1.5 years ago for $480k and put another 30k into rehabbing it. Our current tenants are moving out soon after 1.5 years. My question is “Should we throw it on the market and net around $50k in profit or hold?” If we put the home on the market we would lose at least a month rent and utility cost.

Some background on the property is that we put 120k towards a down payment at 6.125%. Mortgage plus PITI is $2500 and rent is $2600. The home is turn key with a new roof, furnace, floors, AC unit and paint inside and out within the past few years. The unit is in an "A" location but we don't love the layout and it is on a very small lot with a minimal yard and one car garage. We have a lot of money tied up in the unit and would like to find a rental unit the we would consider living in at some point with a house hack option/ADU and or a home that has a better long term appreciation potential. We really are breaking even as far as cash flow is concerned but would also be in a fine financial situation if we rented it back out and would just lose a month of rent.

My wife and I both work W2 jobs and manage our rental properties ourselves. We currently have three other rental properties and rent a studio out in our primary residence. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tyler & Rachel

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied

@Tyler Steinke

I'm having a real hard time getting past the $100 / month profit on a $510,000 investment! And if that is just with PITI, you are likely losing money after maintenance & Capex. Was this an appreciation play?

I would say sell - every day of the week from a cash-flow perspective.  That same money sitting in a high yield  savings account would be earning you $7,500/year at 5% on $150,000.  

You could deploy that money elsewhere and buy a few  smaller (or at least less expensive) homes in a friendlier market and come out way ahead unless you are content with just waiting for the market to appreciate.   I’m a cash-flow guy - as real estate is our full time job - so no cash  flow equals “sell” in my book. 

All the best!

Randy 

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Steinke
  • Bend, OR
Votes |
  • Bend, OR
Replied

Thanks for your reply Randy. This was an appreciation play with hopefully a cash out refi in the future but who knows when that will happen. This was also our first remodel and a good learning experience. We are leaning towards testing the waters for putting it on the market even though originally it was going to be a long term buy and hold. We are in an expensive market here in Bend, Oregon so its tough to cash flow at all with these higher rates.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Watkins
Lender
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Replied

Hey Tyler,

As you know, cash flow is dwarfed by appreciation in Bend. If you're looking to buy again in the area, that's a wash when comparing properties. Transaction costs of selling, then buying will mean a hit to the equity that you have, plus a likely tax hit. The only way I would see it benefiting you to sell would be if you can step up your equity again with another value-add property to force appreciation or leveraging a more valuable property. It really depends on what you want your portfolio to look like, and whether this is an easy renter that will continue to increase in profit as the years go on.

Chris

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Investor Mindset Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Investor Mindset Contributor
Replied

You mention you don't like the layout and that was important as you might move into the rental, but where are the 3 other rentals?  If they are also in Bend and you do decide to move into one of the rentals-would any of the three other rentals be a contender?

If you have no immediate plans to move into it, I'd rent it.