Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rahul P.
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Votes |
New investor looking to invest in Texas

Rahul P.
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Posted Jul 21 2024, 15:36

Hello everyone, i am based in california bay area. recently bought a house in  Sacramento CA. I am thinking to buy rental property in  Texas denton, Kyle, Buda. 

Need some help to understand YOY home value growth in those areas or any suggestion? where to buy rental property's in Texas.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied Jul 21 2024, 21:50

I would also consider Indiana, Ohio, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama as some other states.  Texas is great but the homes prices are on the higher end and its getting tougher to cash flow due to home prices and taxes.

User Stats

Votes
Rahul P.
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Votes |
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Replied Jul 22 2024, 00:00

@Jason Wray Thank you so much!

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 22 2024, 06:07
Quote from @Rahul P.:

Hello everyone, i am based in california bay area. recently bought a house in  Sacramento CA. I am thinking to buy rental property in  Texas denton, Kyle, Buda. 

Need some help to understand YOY home value growth in those areas or any suggestion? where to buy rental property's in Texas.

Texas is great but has become tough over the past couple of years due to market saturation. Still a great market if you can find the right pockets. I have family in both Dallas and Austin that are still buying homes. 

I know a lot of investors from the west coast in California and Seattle, WA are investing in the midwest due to the strong cashflow and appreciation. 

User Stats

Votes
Rahul P.
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Votes |
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Replied Jul 22 2024, 08:52
Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
Quote from @Rahul P.:

Texas is great but has become tough over the past couple of years due to market saturation. Still a great market if you can find the right pockets. I have family in both Dallas and Austin that are still buying homes. 

I know a lot of investors from the west coast in California and Seattle, WA are investing in the midwest due to the strong cashflow and appreciation. 

Hello @Alfath Ahmed, What’s the market in Columbus Oh? 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 22 2024, 09:29
Quote from @Rahul P.:

Do you know what your family in Austin is buying? What I've seen work best is commercial, STR, MTR and co-living. Development and flips work too but I look at that as more of a business.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 22 2024, 11:11

Hey Rahul, let's connect. I have Investment properties in all Texas. We work with all types of Investors, nationwide. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Paolucci
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, Oh
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, Oh
Replied Jul 22 2024, 13:21
Quote from @Rahul P.:

Glad to see other investors from CA looking out of state. I'm originally from San Francisco and started off in 2021 doing the same thing but in Ohio. 

Let me know if you have any questions about being an OOS investor. Happy to help out. 

User Stats

Votes
Rahul P.
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Votes |
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Replied Jul 22 2024, 14:16
Quote from @Mike Paolucci:
Quote from @Rahul P.:

Glad to see other investors from CA looking out of state. I'm originally from San Francisco and started off in 2021 doing the same thing but in Ohio. 

Let me know if you have any questions about being an OOS investor. Happy to help out. 

I have sent you PM 

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jul 22 2024, 14:29

@Rahul P.

A market closer to the Bay area is Reno, NV. Low property taxes, landlord friendly and with tech and manufacturing jobs moving from the Bay Area there is strong job growth. It's a market still overlooked by many investors. All that combined with limited building and no state income tax there is positive rent and appreciation. Happy to share data and insights in the area. 

User Stats

Votes
Rahul P.
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Votes |
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Replied Jul 22 2024, 14:38
Quote from @Bradley Buxton:

@Rahul P.

A market closer to the Bay area is Reno, NV. Low property taxes, landlord friendly and with tech and manufacturing jobs moving from the Bay Area there is strong job growth. It's a market still overlooked by many investors. All that combined with limited building and no state income tax there is positive rent and appreciation. Happy to share data and insights in the area. 

Sure, we can chat. I have sent you PM 

Thanks for the reply!

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 22 2024, 18:09
Quote from @Rahul P.:

Hi Rahul, you might want to look into the Columbus OH market. The market is on fire because of great macroeconomics - population growth, job growth, and companies moving and developing here like Intel, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Honda, etc. I have clients from California who are successfully purchasing flips and BRRRRs here at a very cheap price point at $120k-$180k - positive cashflow and tons of appreciation. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have!

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 22 2024, 21:09

@Rahul Prabhakar Taxes in Texas are out of control. My sister has a decent portfolio in Denton, TX and over the past 3 years her taxes have gone up 100%+ across her entire portfolio.

I recommend looking elsewhere as you won’t cash flow.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 22 2024, 21:56

@Rahul P., thank you for starting this thread. I am learning a lot through the discussion on this thread. 

I used Perplexity Pro to figure out some information for you. 

https://www.perplexity.ai/page/texas-denton-kyle-buda-eMQX8f...

I am not sure if this is helpful, but thought I'd share. 

User Stats

Votes
Rahul P.
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Votes |
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Replied Jul 22 2024, 22:54
Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

@Rahul Prabhakar Taxes in Texas are out of control. My sister has a decent portfolio in Denton, TX and over the past 3 years her taxes have gone up 100%+ across her entire portfolio.

I recommend looking elsewhere as you won’t cash flow.

@Alecia Loveless thank you so much for knowledgeable reply, thats what i been hearing so far through lot of members here in BP. I am also exploring Ohio Columbus and other city's in the midwest  

User Stats

Votes
Rahul P.
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Votes |
  • Investor
  • sacramento
Replied Jul 22 2024, 22:59
Quote from @Saurabh Mithal:

@Rahul P., thank you for starting this thread. I am learning a lot through the discussion on this thread. 

I used Perplexity Pro to figure out some information for you. 

https://www.perplexity.ai/page/texas-denton-kyle-buda-eMQX8f...

I am not sure if this is helpful, but thought I'd share. 

Thank you Saurabh! 

I have learn a lot in the short period of time, Joining BP is one of the smart decision so far, I hope you are accumulating good amount of Knowledge   

User Stats

Votes
Kristin Solbach
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 23 2024, 01:06

@Rahul P.

I would be interested to learn more about Reno if you dont mind sharing. Thanks a lot in advance, Kristin

User Stats

Votes
Jacob James
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jul 23 2024, 08:56
Quote from @Rahul P.:

Hey Rahul!

I am also looking to invest in a property in Texas, specifically San Antonio. I currently reside here and have been interested in structuring a partnership in order to structure my first deal, if interested, feel free to reach out. Hope to hear from you!

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 09:33
Quote from @Rahul P.:
Quote from @Rahul P.:

Hello @Alfath Ahmed, What’s the market in Columbus Oh? 

Columbus, Ohio is a great market to consider if you're leaning towards appreciation. I moved here from Florida after seeing the projected growth. Multiple, billion dollar companies are investing heavy in our area, such as Intel, Google, and Amazon. Which will bring plenty of other investors and general business to the area.

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jul 23 2024, 10:41
Quote from @Kristin Solbach:

@Rahul P.

I would be interested to learn more about Reno if you dont mind sharing. Thanks a lot in advance, Kristin

Happy to share data and analytics for the Reno area.  Sent you a PM

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 24 2024, 08:26
Quote from @Rahul P.:

Denton's seen 5.2% growth, Kyle's a bit slower, and Buda's part of the growing Austin-Round Rock area. You might also want to check out Austin, San Antonio, and Fort Worth - all have their own strengths. Just remember to consider the local job market, population growth, and rental demand when making your decision.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Brickman
Agent
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jul 24 2024, 11:42

San Antonio for midterm and short term rentals. Unbeatable cash flow and appreciation potential

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Aug 11 2024, 07:05
Quote from @Rahul P.:
Denton is good, but I would suggest Sherman/Denison.  Denton is just tough to find the right ROI/Rent/Price ratio.  I'm looking every day there.  Sherman has awesome growth prospects and some people commute to Dallas.
PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.