Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Colton
Votes |
How are you sourcing properties ?

Gregory Colton
Posted Jul 18 2024, 12:31

Seems a lot of people I work with are finding it hard to find a good off market property nowadays . Most of the wholesalers and agents I've spoken to seem to think that's just the market we're in but I'm sure other people are successful with finding a gem or two . How are you all currently sourcing properties ? 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Kocent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jul 19 2024, 06:30

Hey Gregory,

I suggest you look into New Western. I work in our Pittsburgh office, but we also have an office in Atlanta (as well as 50+ other markets). We provide off-market distressed properties that are great opportunities for investors. Every market is different, but here in Pittsburgh the 20+ properties per month that we put out are usually off-market and below market value so a generally low barrier of entry. Check it out, see what you think, and if you want me to put you in contact with someone in the Atlanta office let me know and I'd be happy to do that!

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jul 19 2024, 08:25

@Gregory Colton

Are you talking about properties not listed on the MLS as off market? There are many other "markets" such as Zillow, Facebook, craigslist, email lists etc... Those are just other markets with 1000's of people. True off market requires work by driving, street view, calls, mailers or other ways of finding true off market. In my market here in the Reno Tahoe, NV area there are good cash flow properties that are on the MLS market. It takes work to do analysis on 1600+ properties and that's what I do for my clients. What's good about it is the seller is ready to sell and ready to make a deal, we know the starting price, we can inspect the property, and run the numbers. "Off market" can be good if it fits into your strategy of the time and effort outweighs the actual cost savings. You can find great deals on market too.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 19 2024, 12:33

@Gregory Colton I’m getting leads through word of mouth. This has taken years of work and effort to develop these connections. Real estate is a long game.

User Stats

Votes
Darius McKeller
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 22 2024, 12:57
Quote from @Jacob Kocent:

Hey Gregory,

I suggest you look into New Western. I work in our Pittsburgh office, but we also have an office in Atlanta (as well as 50+ other markets). We provide off-market distressed properties that are great opportunities for investors. Every market is different, but here in Pittsburgh the 20+ properties per month that we put out are usually off-market and below market value so a generally low barrier of entry. Check it out, see what you think, and if you want me to put you in contact with someone in the Atlanta office let me know and I'd be happy to do that!

I work in the Atlanta office and happy to help!

New Western-Atlanta Logo

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Bui
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Midwest
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Midwest
Replied Jul 22 2024, 14:44

I work with teams on the ground in each market to find off market properties. Happy to share resources for Memphis and Detroit if anyone is interested.

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Colton
Votes |
Replied Jul 22 2024, 14:46
Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

@Gregory Colton I’m getting leads through word of mouth. This has taken years of work and effort to develop these connections. Real estate is a long game.

Would you find it helpful to have leads delivered to your inbox , with all if not most of your investment criteria checked off ? 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 23 2024, 03:51

@Gregory Colton networking and hard work!

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 05:51

@Gregory Colton
Hop on the phone and cold call. That's where the deals are!

User Stats

Votes
Jack Krusinski
Agent
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 08:20

We do our own direct-to-seller marketing—mostly direct mail. That has worked for us! Then, we have a relationship with wholesalers. Those are the two biggest ways.

21 Hill Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 24 2024, 06:33
Quote from @Gregory Colton:

Seems a lot of people I work with are finding it hard to find a good off market property nowadays . Most of the wholesalers and agents I've spoken to seem to think that's just the market we're in but I'm sure other people are successful with finding a gem or two . How are you all currently sourcing properties ? 

Simple answer networking, I can get as many as I want in my market. Closing on 4 more this month. 

User Stats

Votes
Dean Harris
Agent
#4 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
#4 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Jul 24 2024, 07:37

I source properties for investors/myself all day, every day in Memphis, TN!!

• Real Estate Agent TN (#00286759) and Mississippi (#s-40616)

CrestCore Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Rhealaine Sayson
  • Virtual Assistant
  • Memphis
Votes |
  • Virtual Assistant
  • Memphis
Replied Jul 24 2024, 09:08

Hey Gregory! I have a client in Memphis who's had great success finding off-market properties. They've built strong relationships with local wholesalers and real estate agents, which means we often get direct messages with property lists. They also leverage online platforms like BiggerPockets and local real estate Facebook groups to network and find leads. It takes time and persistence, but these methods have been really effective for us.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Galphin
Agent
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Jul 25 2024, 06:52

@Gregory Colton having a strong team that has roots that run deep in the community is the best way to source properties. I am on the team with @Dean Harris and we work every day to find the best properties for our clients that are both on and off market deals. Having a strong process and working that process every day yields the best results for us. 

Happy House Hunting!  

CrestCore Realty Logo